LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
So my fourth has reverted to horrible fan squel and is going back today, not sure where to go from here! I love the monitor when it works... all of mine have been manufactured during COVID

Associate
Bad luck I gave up after two.... what about going over to the GN version?
So, the store said they had received a ton of these monitors back but had a new shipment come in, and of that shipment nothing had yet come back from, or so they say... so now I’m on my 5th... this really will be my last one hah, manufacture date is 7/2020 and so far it’s ok

Associate
I wouldn't call that judgment just cause of a bad batch due to the pandemic. Just make sure you ask the retailer what revision they have before buying, and explain the issue if it is not know.

Associate
So I am guessing this monitor is not safe to buy? It's such a shame because it's the perfect mix of size, resolution and g sync.

Got mine today and its superb. Used it all day just working etc and had no loud noises or anything. Will play some games shortly and see how it goes over the next couple days.

The clarity and brightness/pop and the 160hz im running at makes my Acer x34 look pretty poor next to it!

Associate
Got mine today and its superb. Used it all day just working etc and had no loud noises or anything. Will play some games shortly and see how it goes over the next couple days.

The clarity and brightness/pop and the 160hz im running at makes my Acer x34 look pretty poor next to it!
What Batch and did you purchase it here please?

Associate
On the back of the monitor, you will see Rev and the date. Mine is Rev00 01 2020.

Hi there

REV00
Manufactured 05/2020

I wouldn't say my room is totally silent - I have a pc with a cooler and a small nas to my left so I do hear a constant fan sound from that but its pretty normal for a PC sound.

If I press my ear on top of the monitor you can hear a fan going but I've never heard anything like some of the ones I've seen videos of. If I literally take my iPhone and put it in video mode then REST it on top of the monitor the mic is very sensitive so picks up a fan sound but my ears don't have that sort of feature so for me so far I seriously wouldn't have known about the Gsync fan unless I did what I did where I ended up on reddit for hours AFTER I had ordered the monitor as the reviews from quite well known outlets didn't even mention it. I'm sure its highly likely there can be faulty versions of this for sure as its just normality with technology build on masse.

Obviously in 3 days time I could suddenly have some issue but that's what the warranty is for.

Really impressed with the brightness on this compared to the x34 though - really pops and I have it quite near my LG OLED!

PS I have kept my x34 in the box just incase!

Last edited:
Associate
Likely I have quite a bright room I guess. Very impressed with the colours out of the box too. I notch the gamma down a couple small steps in the Nvidia control center as I generally always do on monitors else blacks are a little too grey.

My x34 had quite bad IPS glow in the corners - this barely has any. I guess it makes sense as the x34 was about 5 years old now.

Very pleased so far and the small res bump feels much more than I thought it would.

Side note - noticed your location. I used to live in Exeter funnily enough for over 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom