LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
For a while I ran a 49" Acer 4K monitor. So when this monitor came out, it didn't feel like a downgrade in screen real estate. (Almost as wide as that screen)
Also, not as taxing to run as a full 4K monitor either.
But this monitor is surprisingly butter smooth, where before I felt older 144Hz monitors was a gimmick, here I can really see the difference. Guess that is the Nano IPS layer keeping the pixel response times down to almost TN level response.

Lived here for 30yrs, moved to the midlands for a few year, then came back. Can't beat having lots of beaches 20/30mins away.

Associate
I played Rocket League for a few hours last night on this and the difference between 100hz/100fps going to 160hz/160fps was crazy. Really impressive. Also great to let the 3080 stretch its legs with this higher res.

I put my x34 on next to it and it feels broken now. Didn't expect the 60hz to be that noticeable for some reason.

Glad to hear some people are having a good experience with this. I went down a bit of a fan rabbit hole for 2 days when I was waiting for it but fingers crossed so far its been great.

Associate
I couldn't see the difference from 144 - 160Hz, so I kept it at 144Hz 10 bit.

It's a shame to see lots of people getting a bad batch, as people will read those negative reviews and decide this monitor has problems.
I think there was a shortage, they used cheaper capacitors, and fans in that batch during the pandemic, either that, or quality control was not there.

Either way, I'm glad you now share the same enthusiasm as I do about this monitor.

Associate
Oddly mine doesnt allow me to choose 10bit at 444 in the Nvidia panel at 144 - only 120hz. Could also possibly be my cable I guess.

I did open some 10bit test image and switched from 160hz 444 8bit to 120hz 444 10bit and the gradient looked the same to me. Weird.

Last edited:
Associate
I assume you are using the 5K DP1.4 cable they supplied in the box?
Unfortunately, I can't share screenshots of these settings at this time, as I sold my main rig components awaiting Zen 3, and I need a GPU too.
(Currently hooked up to an SFF with iGPU stuck to 60Hz)

Pjj5m4a.jpg

Associate
Ah it could be that - I got a new DP cable from Amazon a while back (3-4 meters) as I got a standing desk so I had to re-route it. I will see if its sketchy and get a 1.4 as I'll need a slightly long one. Edit - you're right. This one I got can do 2k it looks like so I have ordered a different 1.4 cable which can do 8k.

Appreciate the info - I did a similar thing and sold my 2080ti an hour after the Nvidia conf then ended up in hell trying to get a 3080 FE for weeks :)

I should really update this 6700k....

Nice to see a lot of hours on your panel too. I left the deep sleep on, on mine and I've not had an issue with the refresh rate resetting to 85hz whatever it is. I think with deep sleep off the gsync fan apparently runs 24/7 so I was slightly concerned about that.

Last edited:
Associate
No worries. Yeah, I sold my 2080 Ti for £650, where I had it up for a week at £900 prior to the 3xxx announcement.
So I'll await what AMd bring to the table and how much it may effect prices and availability with Nvidia's stock.

Yes, 6700K is holding you back I would say.

No complaints on the amount of hrs use I have on this monitor. Been running fine since day one.
I also use the deep sleep feature and never had that issue either. :)

Associate
It's a shame to see lots of people getting a bad batch, as people will read those negative reviews and decide this monitor has problems.
I think there was a shortage, they used cheaper capacitors, and fans in that batch during the pandemic, either that, or quality control was not there.
It is not a bad batch, it is not a coil whine. It is Delta fan characteristic that's shared among every single unit - I have couple of those fans, they all make this particular noise, there is nothing else on the market that fits directly - ergo they all have it. It is at 6kHz, borderline at the perceived loudness threshold. I had RMA'd mine, it came back 3dB quieter at 6kHz with a new Gsync module, dropping it below this threshold, which means that majority of population is unable to hear it at all. That's all. Small variations in fan assembly, background noise and individual ability to hear account for the "I can't hear anything" to "It drives me mad".
If I literally take my iPhone and put it in video mode then REST it on top of the monitor the mic is very sensitive so picks up a fan sound but my ears don't have that sort of feature
That sums it up pretty good.

Associate
I came back here for one last time

Monitor number 5 - manufactured 7/20 was quiet and running fine.... it has just had 2 groups of dead pixels appear. This is the final one to go back, I really really am done.

Those talking about the whine - I feel perticularly qualified to talk on this having had five of these now..... 2 of them the whine could be heard anywhere in the room, the other 3, only when you put your ear up to the top of the monitor

Associate
Monitor number 5 - manufactured 7/20 was quiet and running fine.... it has just had 2 groups of dead pixels appear. This is the final one to go back, I really really am done.

Im impressed with your perseverance.. but how come you haven't considered the GN model or perhaps wait for the Dell equivalent? The latter is what I am keeping an eye out for, although if the price is in excess of £1600 then I might just join the OLED fanboys in the CX thread and call it a day.

Last edited:
Associate

Those talking about the whine - I feel perticularly qualified to talk on this having had five of these now..... 2 of them the whine could be heard anywhere in the room, the other 3, only when you put your ear up to the top of the monitor

Crikey I dont think I've ever had dead pixels appear over time in my entire life. I've been lucky with panels I think.

Soldato
OP
It's quite unusual in my experience for dead pixels to just "appear". I've received a few monitors with them visible already, and have immediately returned, but have never seen a monitor develop them. I have had stuck pixels occur on a couple of occasions though, but I've also seen stuck ones go away of their own accord.

Associate
It's quite unusual in my experience for dead pixels to just "appear". I've received a few monitors with them visible already, and have immediately returned, but have never seen a monitor develop them. I have had stuck pixels occur on a couple of occasions though, but I've also seen stuck ones go away of their own accord.

Before today I’ve not seen it either, I would say it’s possible they existed already but I checked this monitor extreme closely when I received it.
Before these LGs I had used a predator x34a for at least 4 years with no issues. In fact I have never had to rma a TV or monitor in 20 years now.

I was very closed to going LG CX OLED but because it’s both work and play I am very worried about screen burn and I am not enthusiast level enough for that I think

I’m going sammy odyssey G9 they were all recalled and checked before redistribution as far as I can tell so I wish to see how it goes with them. At least my desk will look like some kind of battle station. I will miss the LG ambient lighting. Appalling failure rate though (a friend got one the same time as my first, he’s had no issue at all)

Associate

Why do you call it coil whine and not fan noise?

Back
Top Bottom