PC Turned Itself Off

Associate
The MemTest successfully completed one pass with my 8Pack RAM in my old system.

I cleared CMOS and my system has booted successfully. I double checked my BIOS and I am indeed running the latest version.

I'm not sure what could be causing the issue then. I'll run another MemTest on my new system, with everything not overclocked and at stock, to see if it crashes again. I know the RAM is most probably fine if it worked in my other system, I'm simply trying to replicate, with stock settings instead of any overclock, what happened the last time it crashed to see if it does it again.

Soldato
The MemTest successfully completed one pass with my 8Pack RAM in my old system.
You need to do multiple passes of Memtest.

Plus, if it passes at 2993MHz it still doesn't mean the memory isn't faulty as it needs to be tested at XMP for true fault free analysis (which you can't - due to ambiguity over setup/OC vs memory). You're in a bit of tricky situation...

Associate
You need to do multiple passes of Memtest.

Plus, if it passes at 2993MHz it still doesn't mean the memory isn't faulty as it needs to be tested at XMP for true fault free analysis (which you can't - due to ambiguity over setup/OC vs memory). You're in a bit of tricky situation...

Yeah, I’ll try running MemTest with XMP on and through multiple tests to see what happens. If it continues to crash I would rather send it back to OcUK and let them take a more thorough look at it.

Associate
I ran MemTest for one pass with stock settings and it was successful, but as you said I need to do more than one pass, so I’ll set XMP to on before I leave for work and put MemTest on before I leave and see what it’s like when I’m back.

I’m also running an Aida64 Extreme System Stability Test now for around half an hour to see if it cuts out.

Associate
You should run memtest overnight if you can.

Seems worrying that just running memtest for a few minutes caused a crash though. I once had some terrible ram with a ton of found errors in memtest but it still ran memtest fine overnight without crashing.

Hope you get this sorted maybe sending it back to OCUK will be your best bet.

Associate
I’ve ran MemTest for two passes now with XMP set to on with the speed, timings, and voltages being automatically set to 3600MHz, 14-15-15-35, and 1.44V. Each pass was successful without any issues whatsoever. I’ll do some more tests tomorrow, as well as putting in a few hours of gaming to see if it crashes after having been under a consistent gaming load for a while.

Soldato
I was informed by Customer Services it might be a PSU issue, which for some reason I hadn’t really considered before. Hopefully a new one will sort everything out.
PSU is always a possible option with stability issues.

Hope so, as an easy fix - if you're doing the refit?

Associate
PSU is always a possible option with stability issues.

Hope so, as an easy fix - if you're doing the refit?

I’ve been offered a new one to be shipped out so I could test it but to be honest I’d prefer to send my system to them - I know that would take time but I wouldn’t be comfortable doing such a refit.

Soldato
I’ve been offered a new one to be shipped out so I could test it but to be honest I’d prefer to send my system to them - I know that would take time but I wouldn’t be comfortable doing such a refit.
It's simple - watch some YouTube videos and you can always post here for help. Your biggest headache will be getting the cable management as neat - but it doesn't have to be perfect.

Take pictures of your present setup - and then paint by numbers on reassemble.

What is your model/brand PSU?

Associate
It's simple - watch some YouTube videos and you can always post here for help. Your biggest headache will be getting the cable management as neat - but it doesn't have to be perfect.

Take pictures of your present setup - and then paint by numbers on reassemble.

What is your model/brand PSU?

It’s a Phanteks Revolt X 1000W.

I could try it, but it’s just nerves - I can refit graphics cards now - which doesn’t sound like much but when I first did it a month ago it was the most nerve wracking thing I’d ever done lol

Edit: If it is the same brand and model could I leave the cables plugged into my mobo and just replace the actual PSU?

Soldato
Edit: If it is the same brand and model could I leave the cables plugged into my mobo and just replace the actual PSU?
Yes, but will be harder than you anticipate with cable ties and routing already in place (maybe impossible without ripping apart cable management.).

Associate
Yes, but will be harder than you anticipate with cable ties and routing already in place (maybe impossible without ripping apart cable management.).

Yeah, I didn’t think of that. Another reason I had for sending it back was in case it isn’t the PSU or even the memory - at least if they had it everything could be tested. Unless I’m missing something - I’m simply worried about it is all.

Soldato
Yeah, I didn’t think of that. Another reason I had for sending it back was in case it isn’t the PSU or even the memory - at least if they had it everything could be tested. Unless I’m missing something - I’m simply worried about it is all.
Well, if it were me, i would worry more about packing a whole system back for return/shipping rather than fitting a PSU or swapping out memory.

*If that helps you at all...

Associate
Well, if it were me, i would worry more about packing a whole system back for return/shipping rather than fitting a PSU or swapping out memory.

*If that helps you at all...

Good news! It turns out I don’t have to decide between doing it myself or sending it back after all. It seems clearing CMOS has solved my issues - I’ve had several days now without any crashes at all. I’m still not quite sure what settings I changed that could have caused these issues, but the main thing is the issue seems to be solved. I want to thank everyone who helped me solve my problem. You’ve all been really helpful. Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom