The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
50427536163_f8032c3b6c_w_d.jpg

Soldato
Considering the current two week lockdown forcing most licensed places to close or switch to takeaway only, it was barely worth going to Glasgow today. But sod it, I went anyway.

JAcBWC.jpg

At least Scran was still open as usual. Got the classic poached eggs Stornoway. Man that chef can poach a mean egg! :D

0qkoWH.jpg

1ooKW6.jpg

Finding somewhere for lunch was an exercise in futility. Nearly everywhere I would have liked to have eaten was closed. One ramen place was open, but takeaway only. Decided to just grab some sushi to go from Yo Sushi and headed back home. Got the spicy chicken katsu and and the crunchy prawn rolls. Quite nice, if a little expensive :)

Soldato
I would normally have gone to Glasgow today, but with the lockdown in effect till the end of next week it feels kinda pointless. So I'm just having some lentil & bacon soup and sourdough bread for lunch.

Soldato
Got a recipe?

Not a specific one but I can give you a vague one from memory.

This was for 2, but could have fed 3 easily tbh.

600-800g beef ribs, the bone will account for 30-40% of the weight. Short ribs/jacobs ladder is is a good cut if you can get it.
100g chestnut mushrooms cut in half.
2 large carrots cut into 1" pieces (at an angle)
1 head garlic sliced in half side ways.
1 medium white onion peeled and cut in half.
1 Stalk Rosemary
500ml Red wine (I used a cheap Tempranillo)
500ml Veg stock
300g Baby spuds
2 tbsp veg oil
2 tbsp corn flour & 4 tbsp water mixed together
20g butter

Heat up a pan with 2tbsp oil and sear off the carrots, onion, mushrooms, garlic and rosemary until they've browned then add to a slow cooker at high heat (dutch oven/roasting tray with the oven set to 140c is fine too). Trim the ribs of any silverskin, sear on all sides in the same pan as the veg then add to the slow cooker. Deglaze with the red wine, add the wine and stock to the slow cooker until everything is barely covered.

Cook for 4 hours on high. Then cut the baby spuds into 1/2" pieces, steam for 9-12 mins, then into an oven set to 200c with a little oil and sea salt. Roast for 35-45 mins, tossing occasionally for an even cook.

Keep the ribs going on high whilst the potatoes roast.

For the sauce strain some of the liquid into a pan and reduce by 1/3, take off the heat, then add the corn flour/water mix and bring back to the boil. It should thicken a lot, add the butter and mix it through until melted and the sauce has a nice shine.

It sounds like a lot, but realitically you're only actually cooking for 20-30 mins. The rest is done by the slow cooker/oven.

Last edited:
Associate
Awesome thank you, I've never had ribs (I know) and they always look so good so I will look forward to making this in the coming days :)

Soldato
Intrigued by the bright green filling, I picked up some Morrisons Halloween donuts.

They're a bit bliddy nice!

Five for 50p too. I can see me reclaiming those lost belt holes in no time. :)

Soldato
What makes them "Halloween" donuts? Do they have spooky faces on them? Or did they go the lazy route and call jam filled "blood" filled?

aiPrHP.jpg

I got some of these from Tesco's. Love the reference to the Witches movie. Think it must be a bad batch though. I've had like 3 of them and so far I haven't turned into a mouse.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Craig1981 Apart from the "green slime" filling they're the same as their regular donuts. Apparently the filling is raspberry and pineapple flavour, which I'd have never guessed - to me they taste more like a bubblegum type flavour. Very nice though.

What are those chocolate tarts like?

Soldato
...but what does 86 mean ? the recipe they used to have then ... matured, since then .?
mr k was on inside the factory the other night ... 10g of filling , condensed milk, was the surprise in the topping though

Back
Top Bottom