Gigabyte G34WQC - 1440p ultrawide

Associate
I have an AOC AGON AG 352UCG6 35" and have no issues with flickering etc. Quality is spot on, colours, etc.

Note the previous AOC panel without the 6 did have these issues, I returned it and they sent me the newer model.

Associate
Gave it a brief google and Tom's Hardware had a not-so-great review of it and there's even a thread on this forum from someone with it complaining about flickering ... in the video in the previous post about the gigabyte the guy said he had no problems with flickering in gaming just some video editing software and he solved it... it really seems to be a lottery if stuff works well for folks or not.

Associate
I have bought both of them and now i'm trying to decide which one I'll keep. So far it's very tight tie. Both of them have fair amount of backlight bleeding, i would say on gigabyte it is more pronounced, especially on top left corner, but it is mostly visible in dark room and on black backround only, so thats no dealbreaker for me.
Next thing i have noticed is that iiyama has slightly worse viewing angles. When you open for example excel spreadsheet, on iiyama is color shift on both sides of screen slightly more noticable than on gigabyte. But again, this is nitpicking, you won't notice it in games.
Iiyama has slightly better contrast, max brigjtness and more vivid colors. I dont have color measurment tools, so i can't tell which one has more accurate colors. Both of them have noticible pixel inversing (or pixel grid) visible with higher refresh rates. In term of speed, they are pretty similar, when you set correct overdrive..
Regarding flickering-i have gtx 1660 and i have connected both via DP. There was minor flickering on loading screens with some game, but so far i haven't noticed any flicker in games. Interestingly, the flickering was totally the same on both. Same intensity, same timing etc.
So thats basically it, other factors to consider is that gigabyte doesn't have usb hub and has smaller hight range on adjustable stand.

Associate
I have bought both of them and now i'm trying to decide which one I'll keep. So far it's very tight tie. Both of them have fair amount of backlight bleeding, i would say on gigabyte it is more pronounced, especially on top left corner, but it is mostly visible in dark room and on black backround only, so thats no dealbreaker for me.
Next thing i have noticed is that iiyama has slightly worse viewing angles. When you open for example excel spreadsheet, on iiyama is color shift on both sides of screen slightly more noticable than on gigabyte. But again, this is nitpicking, you won't notice it in games.
Iiyama has slightly better contrast, max brigjtness and more vivid colors. I dont have color measurment tools, so i can't tell which one has more accurate colors. Both of them have noticible pixel inversing (or pixel grid) visible with higher refresh rates. In term of speed, they are pretty similar, when you set correct overdrive..
Regarding flickering-i have gtx 1660 and i have connected both via DP. There was minor flickering on loading screens with some game, but so far i haven't noticed any flicker in games. Interestingly, the flickering was totally the same on both. Same intensity, same timing etc.
So thats basically it, other factors to consider is that gigabyte doesn't have usb hub and has smaller hight range on adjustable stand.

excellent thank you for this. Based on this I will probably go for the iiyama then!

Soldato
I’ve only had one monitor an Acer that had a stuck pixel, if I pressed on it, it went away. If I touched nearby it came back. I’ve owned several monitors over the years but only one with this.

Associate
So I have gone with this gigabyte model, per order status on overclockers however I messaged them and they said they are due a batch mid October.

I just preferred the look of this monitor. The back looks sleek, the front doesn’t have the OSD button visible like the iiyama, as well as the arrow picture on the bezel which spoiled it a bit for me.

will see how long it takes to get here!

Soldato
I ordered mine on saturday and was told via Facebook messenger that I may not get It until mid November....tempted to cancel but also trying not to take what they are saying seriously.

Hang in there, the first batch of 27GN950-B was due in "October", they came into stock on the 1st October. I waited three weeks for the stock and it was worth the wait.

Associate
Hang in there, the first batch of 27GN950-B was due in "October", they came into stock on the 1st October. I waited three weeks for the stock and it was worth the wait.

You've not had any flickering problems? Or have just turned off the freesync? There doesn't really seem to be a golden alternative for a monitor like this at this price... I've not seen anything on the horizon about any new monitors with these kinda specs at this price range and so by the time I actually get around to putting a build together it's seeming like this is the best bet and will just have to live with the problems should I get any.

Associate
Freesync is enabled, where would I see flickering if I had it?

You'd have to read through the thread, some folks said it was only in game menus and loading screens, and maybe only in certain games, others seemed to think it was more widespread... I can't tell if they're all the same and it's people's particular uses of it that varies and might show it or not, or if some panels are better than others ...

Associate
Spoke to overclockers yesterday. They have received 80 units and are sending them out this coming week. I ordered mine on Saturday 11th and I was 41st in the queue, so hopefully will be getting it this week. They might even have stock for orders that are placed now depending on how many orders have been placed in the last 7 days.

Associate
I've had this monitor for a couple of weeks and here are my thoughts:

1. It's definitely entry-level, so keep your expectations in check
  2. Colour contrast/calibration is a little odd. I can't quite put my finger on it, but my old Dell monitor colour space looked 'nicer'. Seems like it's always either bit washed out or over-saturated. I can't quite hit the sweet spot. (That's what she said.) I'll keep playing with the settings
  3. HDR is barely present. Don't expect to be awed by deep, brooding darks, or blinding highlights
  4. Monitor height adjustment is of limited range. I could do with it going a little bit higher in my setup
  5. There is no swivel - this might be normal for ultrawides (i.e. more likely to become unbalanced due to the screen width/weight)
  6. The monitor stand footprint is rather larger than I was expecting. Looks a bit unwieldy and takes up a lot of desk space - wall mount recommended
  7. Bezels are quite small. Looks rather nice. I've seen smaller, but this is fine
  8. The plastic case/chassis looks and feels cheap. Not the most consistent finish or of the highest quality. The Gigabyte logo at the bottom is pretty ugly, too
  9. The claimed 1ms response rate is being pretty damn generous. There be ghosts, be under no illusion
  10. I have some borderline unacceptable backlight bleed at the top left of the screen. It's only really noticeable in dark conditions and on fairly solid, dark colours. It is occasionally noticeable when gaming, but it is very noticeable when watching a 16:9 film as the solid black vertical border stands out a mile
  11. Flickering is more a function of the machine/use case than the monitor, I've found. I was able extend the sync range using CRU https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU. I'm running a 1650 at the moment whilst waiting for my RTX 3080 to arrive. I expect most of the issues to go away at higher fps (wishful thinking?)
  12. My control joystick stopped working this morning, which is how I found this thread in the first place. I actually started a return request, but just now in frustration I gave the joystick a proper push (much harder than you would during normal operation) and it has started working again. Something is sticky back there. The microswitches are clearly still functioning but not always registering. Were I to guess, I'd suggest that a switch got stuck to on rather than stopped responding. I dunno
  13. The audio is absolute *****, but then nobody actually uses monitor speakers, do they?
  14. No USB hub or port is very surprising to me. It's a little frustrating as I now need to plug my low-value peripherals in elsewhere, taking up space. I mean fitbit dongle, that sort of thing.
  15. And how will firmware ever be updated without a USB port? Is Gigabyte hoping never to have to update this thing? I assume you can't send an update data signal over display port?
  16. No dead pixels that I can see. They're probably there somewhere, but I haven't spotted them yet
  17. It looks absolutely lovely in games. Super-fast-paces games: definitely some ghosting. I tested with Unreal Tournament GOTY 1999 (don't laugh) as I can get like 300fps on that. It has crisp visuals and no software effects that might make things look softer. It's proper rapid and looks good to my eye, but there is definitely unwanted motion blur. It's fine for me, but is you're a twitch gamer: look elsewhere. I mainly play car and flight simulators and adventure games. Not online competitive stuff
  18. It doesn't have G-Sync, nor is it officially G-Sync Compatible. It was advertised as such both by Overclockers and by Gigabyte themselves when I bought mine, but this has since been redacted. You can still make it work in synchronous mode with Nvidia cards, but it's on the very bottom verge of the spec.
  19. If this monitor were around £300 I'd call it an absolute steal. At £400, think a little harder. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's not RTX3080 good. If money is tight then there's little to fault here, but you will get far superior results with a better brand, higher spec (and much more expensive) option
Hope this helps someone to decide whether to buy or not.

Back
Top Bottom