• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Allegedly Moving Ampere to 7nm TSMC in 2021

Soldato
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-allegedly-moving-ampere-to-7-nm-tsmc-in-2021.html
One thing is clear, Samsung can't produce the Ampere-based GPUs quick enough or in enough volume so, from the looks of things, NVIDIA will be moving a large chunk of wafer fabrication to TSMC.

The news reached the web today though DigiTimes. And if true that means that NVIDIA likely will slip towards 7nm wafer die production, as expected for a long time in the first place. What also is possible it that the 'update' product like an RTX 3080 with 20GB or other products like the RTX 3050/3060 in the lineup that has not been released just yet move to that TSMC 7nm node.

DigiTimes states Nvidia has already booked high volume production capacity on TSMC’s 7 nm nodes for 2021. TSMC recently lowered the prices on the 7nm wafers and also mentions the choice is made to spread risk that is yield related.

Sorry if this has already been posted

Soldato
It’s making the rounds as news that for sure. Just when I thought the ampere launch couldn’t get any worst they decide to pull the stopper and drain the water.

So ampere Gen 1 is now EOL within days of launch, allegedly. Lol, if true. Just pure lol.

I can only assume that this time ampere Gen 2 will be more power efficient, have more vram and overclock much better...allegedly.
:D

Last edited:
Associate
I figured something stupid like that would happen, even if it doesn't happen for the 20gb cards, I thought it would happen for the 4000 cards. It's that thought, on top of the debacle of a launch, that made me cancel.

Edit: it's funny because yesterday I actually looked if there was any news for RTX 3000 cards or 4000 cards on TSMCs 7nm and didn't find anything. When did that news appear? Oh around 4:30pm, way after I looked.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is really annoying because the longer it takes them to sort out this Ampere debacle, the more likely they are to delay the launch 40xx cards, until Ampere gives them the return on their development costs, so even without being bothered about getting a 30xx card, its likely delaying my purchase of the cards I would have upgraded to. :mad:

Soldato
If be gutted if if bought an 8nm one. Can't be good for resale if true, especially if the 7nm cards turn out to have more performance.

Soldato
The thing about manufacturing nodes is that they can’t be compared across manufacturers

For example, Intel reckon their new 10nm is comparable in density to the 7nm TSMC.

There’s no point speculating until the “new” version arrives, but either way, the difference between 8nm from Samsung and TSMCs 7nm is likely minimal/non existent.

Associate
The thing about manufacturing nodes is that they can’t be compared across manufacturers

For example, Intel reckon their new 10nm is comparable in density to the 7nm TSMC.

There’s no point speculating until the “new” version arrives, but either way, the difference between 8nm from Samsung and TSMCs 7nm is likely minimal/non existent.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what the density will be like, all I know is that smaller nm is generally better
And I also don't know about any of the gains(?) for GDDR6X over GDDR6 apart from it has ECC apparently, regular GDDR6 is fine for me.

Don
I'd be surprised if it's as simple as "just moving to TSMC" - although a lot of the design tools are automated these days, there's likely enough difference between Samsung's 8nm and TSMC 7nm to need some changes to be made

Man of Honour
I'd be surprised if it's as simple as "just moving to TSMC" - although a lot of the design tools are automated these days, there's likely enough difference between Samsung's 8nm and TSMC 7nm to need some changes to be made

I think we will see a very different Ampere for gaming when it gets on 7nm TSMC with higher clocks, better efficiency and the 3090 will put a bigger distance between itself and the 3080.

Soldato
all I know is that smaller nm is generally better

You’re right, it is generally better, but it’s important to understand why.

A smaller manufacturing node means that the distance between transistors is smaller, hence a greater density (number of transistors for a given area). A smaller distance means that electrons can pass between transistor gates more quickly, leading to a better performing processor for the same power or a more efficient processor for the same performance.

If the density is the same on the same chip design with the same architecture, then you shouldn’t see any meaningful difference in performance.

Hence why, without context, 8nm vs 7nm doesn’t mean anything :)

Soldato
People laughed when I suggested there will be a super 3080 later and mocked me. This would take it to a whole new other level. People were miffed who bought 2080's only to then see a 2080 super. This board will go into meltdown if a 7nm 3080 appears.

Hence why, without context, 8nm vs 7nm doesn’t mean anything :)

just you wait and see it will to all the current 3080 owners on here.

What would be funny if 7nm 3080 is in stock before people get their original 3080's. It wont happy but it would be damn funny to watch.

Man of Honour
I like how [some] people one minute are all "they can't just move to TSMC 7nm" then "they are going to admit defeat and move to TSMC 7nm" the next...

They aren't "moving" to TSMC 7nm in the sense some people are using here - they are still continuing with what their plan has been all along.

Back
Top Bottom