Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Associate
It's the battery lIfe which I'm most curious about to be honest. I think I will wait to see what the new iphones bring and then either get one of them or get an 11 which would hopefully reduce in price.

My maths at the moment is as follows. I pay £10 a month for a smarty SIM card but the signal is horrible so I want to go back with EE. So I'm looking at £20-£25 a month for decent data.

£20 a month SIM only
£30 a month to buy the 11 on 0% through apple over 2 years

Or I just get a contract which is £41 a month on EE including the phone. So it works out cheaper that way.
Yeah I’m paying £60 a month for a 128gb IPhone 11 unlimited data deal at moment. Don’t really want to pay more than that. My Mums on the Same deal for the Xr and other half has the S20 which is £62 a month.

If you went the 12 it would probably be cheaper buying from Apple and sim from EE, as the contract prices for the 11 were high till they had a summer sale end of July, S20 sale first then the iPhone 11 a week late, then the S20 plus.

Soldato
Yeah I’m paying £60 a month for a 128gb IPhone 11 unlimited data deal at moment. Don’t really want to pay more than that. My Mums on the Same deal for the Xr and other half has the S20 which is £62 a month.

If you went the 12 it would probably be cheaper buying from Apple and sim from EE, as the contract prices for the 11 were high till they had a summer sale end of July, S20 sale first then the iPhone 11 a week late, then the S20 plus.
Yeah will wait and see what's about when it come out.
If it's the same as the iPhone 11 is currently I would get it. If it's more then I'd go with an 11.

Soldato
With cash back on my 64gb Xs I can get the 12 Pro for something like £745 or so. It is quite appealing given my Xs is second hand from ocuk mm anyway for a hundred or so less.

Or you could send it to one of the recyclers who'll pay you £100 more for your XS than Apple will, and get the 12 Pro for £650.

Soldato
Or you could send it to one of the recyclers who'll pay you £100 more for your XS than Apple will, and get the 12 Pro for £650.
Yes. Until they screw you over by discovering a fake ‘defect’ somewhere and reducing the quoted price even though they shouldn’t do. Mazuma did that on the last phone I sent them. Mind you even Apple is capable of such things tbh.

Decided to hold off on the 12 for now. It isn’t like I NEED an upgrade and new house decor/furniture is more important.

Soldato
Never had that, always used Plunc who have been superb.

I’ve had it once, can’t recall the company name but they were probably a backstreet player rather than a well known recycler. They offered a lower price and I said no. They offered a price midway between and I told them to return the phone.

Associate
With cash back on my 64gb Xs I can get the 12 Pro for something like £745 or so. It is quite appealing given my Xs is second hand from ocuk mm anyway for a hundred or so less.

Who's doing the best deals for the 12 Pro? Don't need unlimited date but at least 10gb

Associate
I'm wondering how much I'll notice it coming from a 1440p olds pixel 2xl.

I still don't know why people worry about this, a 1080 screen on a phone is still a ridiculously high 400++ dpi! You'll only notice the difference if you have your nose stuck to the glass, and even then probably not. That's not even going into the inherent grain present on the 2xl.

Soldato
I still don't know why people worry about this, a 1080 screen on a phone is still a ridiculously high 400++ dpi! You'll only notice the difference if you have your nose stuck to the glass, and even then probably not. That's not even going into the inherent grain present on the 2xl.

I agree that 1440 is ridiculous. I just wondered if that's going to be the thing I notice the most?

Soldato
I've had an XR with work and honestly you might notice it slightly but it's really still a perfectly good screen assuming the 12 is roughly the same screen as on that.
It's the 11 I'm getting, think that has the same screen as the xr. It's being delivered Saturday. Sure it will be perfectly fine. I only use my phone for basic stuff anyways. Very rarely for media consumption except maybe an odd YouTube vid here and there.

I will be upgrading my iPad at some point too. Using an OG iPad mini. Which I cannot install anything on as it's too old. But I use that for more media consumption

Associate
So while it will be nice to use/have the Pixel 4 now that I've got it, and I'm definitely glad I've finally had the opportunity to try the Pixel experience, I've got an 11 Pro arriving tomorrow.

While there are are certain elements of the Android world I love (the Google Nest stuff and the Pixel range), there is just something about the aesthetics of the iPhone and the Apple ecosystem itself that just has me, just like so many of you that the Android way of doing things/ecosystem has you.

My mate a couple of months ago was a bit surprised when I said I was getting a Pixel - said "always thought you were an Apple guy". And tbh, I think he's right.

When I was thinking about it, I've tried to overcomplicate my life by making the switch when there really wasn't anything wrong with the experience I had. Huge case of the grass isn't always greener...

So I've had a full tech declutter - all the Google stuff that I wasn't ever going to use (Pixel Buds, Stadia, Chromecast Ultras, Mini's) - all sold last week. So we have one Nest Hub in our room (we like the rotating photos), a nest Camera for the baby's room and a Nest Mini in our daughters room that she'll use with a free Spotify account.

Bar that, it's back to the tried and tested.

I had a bet with my wife that I'd have her switching to Android before I went back to an iPhone. Needless to say she's feeling quite smug at the moment. But I'm happy, the wife is happy and we can just get on with the important things now.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
@BMox81 there's no reason you cannot have your entire house kitted out with Nest (I do) and be deep in the Apple ecosystem, bar Apple music. I have 2 Nest Home Hubs, 4 Nest Minis, Nest Hello and a ton of Sonos speakers running Google Assistant. I use Spotify for music and just install the Google Home/Nest apps on my iPhone.

Associate
@BMox81 there's no reason you cannot have your entire house kitted out with Nest (I do) and be deep in the Apple ecosystem, bar Apple music. I have 2 Nest Home Hubs, 4 Nest Minis, Nest Hello and a ton of Sonos speakers running Google Assistant. I use Spotify for music and just install the Google Home/Nest apps on my iPhone.

Oh yeah totally get that. It's why I've kept the devices like the Nest mini - got it free and it's a nice speaker for my daughter to have to listen to her music. But we have the matter of a HomePod in our bedroom that we do like to use. Plus with the wife using her iPhone and particularly the Control Center to control the lights, it will just be easier to stay with Homekit for the most part.

They all prefer using Apple Music as well. They especially love the app on the TV and my daughter/nieces love that the lyrics appear on the screen. It's those small things which for me, do make the Apple experience a better one.

I don't think that you can ever truly get away from Google and nor would I want to as I do like some of the tech, but when everyone else in your life is deeply entrenched in the Apple way of things, sometimes it's just easier to comply and stick with what you know as opposed to trying and force a new way of doing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom