Asus not releasing Zen3 update for B450/X470 owners

Soldato
Someone with the highest end Asus X470 motherboard(ROG Crosshair VII Hero X470) messaged Asus about when the Zen3 BIOS update would happen. MSI and others have already talked about the BIOS updates. Asus replied won't be supporting 400 series motherboards,and told the user to buy one of their 500 series motherboards:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ja23gg/asus_wont_provide_bios_update_for_x470_board_to/

We have no plans for the Crosshair VII Hero to support the Ryzen 5900X, please purchase Crosshair VIII Hero and any Ass B550 motherboard that will support Ryzen 5900X and 5000 series processors.

It looks like my Asus Strix B450I,which despite have a 6+1 phase VRM and 32MB BIOS,won't get an update if the X470 Crossfire won't get it. That is the last time I will buy an Asus motherboard,and supports the rumours were that Asus was the OEM pushing most for AMD to drop 400 series Zen3 support. I should have gone with MSI.

Soldato
AFAIK the updates aren't due out until January next year from any manufacturer.

There's time for everyone it'll affect to try and pressure them before then. I'm sure the usual suspect tech sites will all throw in their two pennies.

Soldato
Not suprised, Asus have done the same even within the same chipset. They released the sabertooth 990fx v1, supported for about a year, then released the r2 and no more updates for anyone who got the r1.

Soldato
OP
Well my B450I Strix was not cheap,and had the second best VRM of all B450 motherboards,and the larger BIOS size. Until earlier this year the B450I/X470I Strix were their only mini-ITX motherboards and were £150~£200. They are hardly older when they were current until a few months ago.

Then they have the arrogance to announce new B450 motherboards:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...efreshed-b450-motherboards-coming-in-october/

Oh,well it probably means no more Asus motherboard purchases from me. Not sure if some of my mates will buy them,after hearing about this!

Soldato
Well my B450I Strix was not cheap,and had the second best VRM of all B450 motherboards,and the larger BIOS size. Until earlier this year the B450I/X470I Strix were their only mini-ITX motherboards and were £150~£200. They are hardly older when they were current until a few months ago.

Then they have the arrogance to announce new B450 motherboards:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...efreshed-b450-motherboards-coming-in-october/

Oh,well it probably means no more Asus motherboard purchases from me. Not sure if some of my mates will buy them,after hearing about this!
how many mates do you have :O that last sentence sounds too omnimous.

you aren't planning on going to Zen 3 anyways in the short term due to not happy with the launch prices, so why even bother? who knows what the situation will be like 6month a year down the line. it would be a bit silly for ASUS if AMD brings out new AGESA with improved stability for RAM and CPU generally and added support for Zen 3 and they dont provide that to their boards.

Soldato
OP
Now the backtrack begins and now they said they will support X470(no B450?):
https://twitter.com/planet3dnow/status/1316004902393442305

But funny how they are trying to kind of blame AMD. Yet their own technical support said there would be no more updates.

how many mates do you have :O that last sentence sounds too omnimous.

you aren't planning on going to Zen 3 anyways in the short term due to not happy with the launch prices, so why even bother? who knows what the situation will be like 6month a year down the line. it would be a bit silly for ASUS if AMD brings out new AGESA with improved stability for RAM and CPU generally and added support for Zen 3 and they dont provide that to their boards.

Others I know with Asus motherboards,or building their own systems. MSI so far have done a very good job with supporting their consumers. Asus charges more than them. Also,WRT to pricing,400 series motherboards will get the updates in early next year(2 months away),enough for AMD to fill the stack with other SKUs,Rocketlake S,etc to be released,so pricing might change.

Soldato
From the link in the OP :

Planet 3DNow! reached out to Asus Deutschland, who confirmed that Asus are not dropping Ryzen 5000 support from X470 motherboards. The BIOS update will be available in January, per AMD's schedule

Associate
From the link in the OP :

Planet 3DNow! reached out to Asus Deutschland, who confirmed that Asus are not dropping Ryzen 5000 support from X470 motherboards. The BIOS update will be available in January, per AMD's schedule
Yeah people are just jumping into wrong conclusion after talking with Asus support - those guys are usually clueless about their company plans and often give away misleading information without telling the customer that it's not any official statement from Asus...
I can't see a single mobo vendor to ditch support for 5xxx series on their x470 as long as amd will provide them with the proper agesa update.
Anyone claiming such is just speculating and spreading rumours rather than facts

Associate
"
Yesterday, we reported that ASUS had decided to drop support for Ryzen 5000 processors on its X470 motherboards. Representatives of the company had apparently informed at least one customer that their ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO motherboard would not receive the BIOS update necessary to run Zen 3 processors. However, ASUS has now confirmed that this is not the case.

According to ComputerBase and Planet 3DNow!, ASUS Germany reacted to the attention that the Reddit post received and sought clarification from company headquarters in Taiwan. Apparently, nothing has changed, so ASUS will upgrade its X470 motherboards to support Ryzen 5000 (Zen 3) processors. The same applies to B450 motherboards, too.

Support for X470 and B450 motherboards is due to arrive in January 2021. AMD claims that BIOS updates for the chipsets are 'currently in development with motherboard partners', but Planet 3DNow! suggests a different story. Apparently, AMD is only letting motherboard manufacturers roll out Ryzen 5000-compatible BIOSes from next year. Hence, the January 2021 date may be one set by AMD, not by motherboard manufacturers."

Associate
I think AMD said they will focus on x570/b550 first and once everything is good they will provide vendors with the update code for x470 and b450..
but it will be just a beta bios.

Back
Top Bottom