Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I don't get it.

EZJ up 6pc today
And CINE up by 5pc

I just can't wrap my head around it.
I bought some ezj at 490 and fully expected it to go down this week. And cine doesn't seem in great shape at all
Gained 13% on CINE after my £500 punt yesterday. I think its a mid term hold for me . I'm sure there will be a ceiling in the next few months but watch it bounce if there is a vaccine or one of the studios thinks about buying into distribution.

Soldato
Well my first investment paid of big time on Boohoo, made me £6000, I then got back in at higher levels expecting amazing results and 400p, the results were amazing and the SP not so much so I held thinking just a retrace.

But closed today at 335p and I am now losing a grand on it, think tomorrow I shall be exiting Boohoo to protect what I made previously and look for a lower entry as I suspect it will no doubt open lower or drift lower than todays close.

Anyone else here invested in Boo, your thoughts?

Same here. Not in the same volumes, but profited nicely was it 25-30% or similar, just before the latest earnings report. Then bought back in at a lower volume. Thinking I will ditch it now and look to get back in another time.

Also cashed of Cine in the high 27 so that was nice earner.

Missed out on the recent RR gains. Was waiting for them to drop below £1 which some analysts were predicting, before getting in.

My trades are mostly short term at the moment.

Soldato
Just out of interest where are people trading, I use H&L but their transaction fee of £12 a pop is making me just do the monthly into a Fund and Share account so no day trading for me..

Soldato
Just out of interest where are people trading, I use H&L but their transaction fee of £12 a pop is making me just do the monthly into a Fund and Share account so no day trading for me..
I used HL up until this year and have swapped to Trading212. Can’t transfer sadly so my HL holdings are slowly being eroded by their ridiculous fees, but better than nothing.

Associate
Does anyone use interactive brokers? I have saxobank right now but I just realise they charge a yearly custody fee of 0.12%, my account is 510K USD so this adds up to a lot, especially when you compound it.

What brokers are you guys using?

Soldato
I should imagine that RR will take a while to pick up, not much flying means not much on the support books at the mo, XWB is fine but they need to get the ultrafan stuff developed and out there to get people to part with their money..
Also be nice if they get the contract with the USAF for the engine and support package for the B52's..

Associate
I should imagine that RR will take a while to pick up, not much flying means not much on the support books at the mo, XWB is fine but they need to get the ultrafan stuff developed and out there to get people to part with their money..
Also be nice if they get the contract with the USAF for the engine and support package for the B52's..

Talks of a government bailout and they are raising funds through a rights issue later this month.

Looking at their figures I'm not sure if they have got enough to fund the next couple of years if the global situation doesn't improve so could fall again, and more significantly.

Soldato
Interesting. I trust the big brokers like H&L etc.. to get it right, but I'm curious to see how Trading212 will handle it.
My T212 TSLA shares worked perfectly for that split. However HL took about 5 days, the whole time of which my account looked like it had lost a LOT of money. Of course I knew what was going on, but had I wanted to sell any of my position in those 5 days it would have been a mess I’m sure.

Soldato
Various clean energy / renewable focused stocks have been doing well recently, seemingly in part due to an expectation that Biden will win and increase spending in that area significantly.

Only had a small amount on a clean energy ETF but it's up 50% on a few months ago.

Guess it's an area worth keeping an eye on for the long term too. Personally still new to investing but am sure I'll be putting more into renewables soon.

OcUK Staff
Interesting. I trust the big brokers like H&L etc.. to get it right, but I'm curious to see how Trading212 will handle it.

I did not chance it sold my holding at 169p bit of a mistake but oh well I did buy in low 100’s profit is profit but gutted I only put £500 in it lol and got out early.

Kept watching it fly up think any moment now it will drop back but that did not happen until today at 243p

If had a crystal ball and all.

Lost £4000 panicking on BOO and sold at 332p so the original £6000 I made on them 2/3 got wiped out, manage to recoup nearly a grand day trading them and then got back in at 338p and just over a grand up at moment. Think it’s stable now so will hopefully move back towards 400 in coming weeks and if it does drop back must not panic.

Soldato
I did not chance it sold my holding at 169p bit of a mistake but oh well I did buy in low 100’s profit is profit but gutted I only put £500 in it lol and got out early.

Kept watching it fly up think any moment now it will drop back but that did not happen until today at 243p

If had a crystal ball and all.

Lost £4000 panicking on BOO and sold at 332p so the original £6000 I made on them 2/3 got wiped out, manage to recoup nearly a grand day trading them and then got back in at 338p and just over a grand up at moment. Think it’s stable now so will hopefully move back towards 400 in coming weeks and if it does drop back must not panic.

That last bit is why I’ve stopped trying to go for shorter trades. Mentally I don’t think I’m strong enough to make decisions well and end up chasing losses or holding ground.

The fact you were willing to take the loss is a good sign for me as too many people wouldn’t and let things continue to slide. It shows you have the strength to make tough decisions and only hindsight can show whether that was right or wrong. End result is you’re still up a few thousand. It’s important to remember that part rather than the £4K loss.

I’d be up around 25% on CINE if I’d just bought in at 24p, but I expected a small pull back and set my buy at 23p. Not a big deal and ultimately I’m more glad I made a decision even if it didnt come off than sit around regretting something I thought about.

Soldato
That last bit is why I’ve stopped trying to go for shorter trades. Mentally I don’t think I’m strong enough to make decisions well and end up chasing losses or holding ground.

The fact you were willing to take the loss is a good sign for me as too many people wouldn’t and let things continue to slide. It shows you have the strength to make tough decisions and only hindsight can show whether that was right or wrong. End result is you’re still up a few thousand. It’s important to remember that part rather than the £4K loss.

I’d be up around 25% on CINE if I’d just bought in at 24p, but I expected a small pull back and set my buy at 23p. Not a big deal and ultimately I’m more glad I made a decision even if it didn't come off than sit around regretting something I thought about.

I think viewing losses as part & parcel is crucial.

I took a 35% loss on Shell yesterdya, having bought around 1400 and watched it bounce between 1200 and 1400 the past few months, more recently it's hit the March low again, 950, and in reality oil isn't going anywhere fast. Renewables however...

I made the decision in about 15 seconds and didn't blink twice, equally I didn't feel anything (emotive) about it either. Be clinical about it, if you can.

I'd been in NCYT since April, making the rookie mistake of buying off the back of a 30-40% rise, so had sat on a loss until it's recovery recently, adding & selling along the way.

The most recent RNS was game changing, so I've added more (ISA) and also within my SIPP. The latter is up just over 50% in less than a fortnight with little sign of it stopping or slowing. Market Cap & PE low in comparison to pipeline contracts.

Anyone familiar with SYME here, interesting business model...

Soldato
I sold Shell at 26, hard to believe its not ok to hold now as oil is a hedge to many companies costs.

I was thinking a large rights like RR might see the price revist that rights issue price over the months as new shares trade before going anywhere. I remember now I had RR on the IPO and its about back to there in nominal price though value of sterling varied and it depends on shares in issue also which rights will drastically alter.

Associate
I'm having some money that I can part with now to start some investments. Where would you suggest I open up a stock portfolio? I'm looking at long term investments for the future.

OcUK Staff
I'm having some money that I can part with now to start some investments. Where would you suggest I open up a stock portfolio? I'm looking at long term investments for the future.

Amazon
ASOS
NCYT (maybe - research it)
BOO (higher risk, but higher return and one would hope long term all their issues will be resolved)
NIO (small amount, gamble but could pay off hugely in long term)
NEX

Back
Top Bottom