Cheap but "nice"

Soldato
My fiance works for several of the London hospitals but has now been asked to commute to Orpington, it's either a 2hr train journey (into London, then back out again) or a 35/40min drive. Obviously the drive wins it.

She really won't drive a manual unless it's a last resort, so wondering what recommendations anyone might have for a car around the £3-4k mark to cover commute miles. Automatic a must. She previously had a Mini One which she liked, so something similar would be good, maybe less asthmatic, and I'm not sure what they would be like as an auto? So not sure what else to suggest.

Anything old looking, or too basic is also a no apparently because it can't look overtly cheap...

Any ideas, suggestions?

Associate
Yea, this is a pretty impossible budget without going, old, or high mileage. I really dont think you could get anything considered "nice" at this price range.

I've tried doing an auto trader search with a max price of £4000, under 100,000 miles, and 2010 or newer, and this is probably the best I can find, which says a lot.......

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010134957298

Whilst part of me dies inside linking to an Insignia, I suppose it fits the bill. Decent power, a decent amount of kit, for someone that doesn't follow cars I'd argue it looks more expensive than some of the other tat at this price range. But I'd suggest spending more for something better or drop the auto requirement.

Soldato
A 4k auto fiesta ain't gonna be making anyone think kaching.

There’s a Titanium trim model with leather seats that’s £4250, presumably if one looks for long enough there will be one in budget. It’s probably the best that can be had within the requirements. The Civic is also a good shout.

Soldato
If you go cheap expect to have to spend extra on fixes.

I use a Twingo as my daily car. I got it dirt cheap because it was miss-firing badly. Just needed a new coil pack which is like £20 on ebay. I actually quite like it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
FN2 Civic like this. Look for a EX trim as it’s got a lot of nice features, the cars equipped with leather also have heated front seats. It’s not the most comfortable place to be; the suspension is fairly unforgiving but it should be reliable and the interior has aged well.

Associate
If you go cheap expect to have to spend extra on fixes.

I use a Twingo as my daily car. I got it dirt cheap because it was miss-firing badly. Just needed a new coil pack which is like £20 on ebay. I actually quite like it :D

Not necessarily true, I have had cheap cars that haven’t needed much maintenance apart from general service, wear and tear items. The hard part of the OP request is the not to look cheap. What does that mean? I read that and think she wants something a like older merc or BMW, is she willing to have a car with higher mileage?

Back
Top Bottom