Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
The only problem I have with Firefox is that it slows to a crawl on some websites. For instance, trying to scroll on Pinterest is god awful but that might be a problem with my Linux install and Firefox not using hardware acceleration properly. Either way, it is really annoying. The same problem exists on GOG.com as well. I'm using Firefox 78 ESR.

Soldato
Firefox user here. I don't see any discernible difference in performance between it and Chrome yet I would rather not give all of my data to Google.

I'm sure NSA, CIA have your data from other means ie Twitter, Facebook etc, even from credit, debit cards, only safe way is don't use the Internet, pay cash only, avoid ALL cameras and stay home.

So Google having some of your data is the least of your worries ;).

Soldato
Using the latest version of Firefox and Opera, keep Opera there for when i want a quick and easy VPN for location restricted content (or stumble onto one of a very tiny number of sites that don't work great in FF). Definitely prefer the customization options in older versions of FF, but i've stopped stressing over it as it became a job trying to maintain old functionality with a dozen extra addons that dragged performance down.

I've been using Mozilla as long as i can remember, and Netscape way back when.

Soldato
I use google but not comfortable with everything under its umbrella! Email, Calendar, browser etc etc....Not sure i trust them.

Can you do everything in FF that google do? Email, Calendar, pics etc?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What do you mean? You use Chrome not Google. Chrome doesn't have a built in email/calendar/pics client etc, Google does. You can do all of those things in any browser that accesses Google. So yes, by that measure you can do everything in FF that you can do in Chrome.

Soldato
What do you mean? You use Chrome not Google. Chrome doesn't have a built in email/calendar/pics client etc, Google does. You can do all of those things in any browser that accesses Google. So yes, by that measure you can do everything in FF that you can do in Chrome.

I guess what i am saying is that i would like to get away from 'google' products totally...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You can, every other service does similar like Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple etc. But why would you? All of the other service providers track your data in equal measure as they all have to target ads in some way or target other services to their users. If you think only Google do this then you are very mistaken. Google's services are just the fastest, easiest to use and easily accessible between them all.

Soldato
You can, every other service does similar like Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple etc. But why would you? All of the other service providers track your data in equal measure as they all have to target ads in some way or target other services to their users. If you think only Google do this then you are very mistaken. Google's services are just the fastest, easiest to use and easily accessible between them all.

Thank you

Soldato
OP
The web is dead according to this. Only Google is left!

The only way we can support an open internet is to not use a chromium based browser and stop the dominance of Google.

But is it now too late for Mozilla? Firing a whole load of engineers recently doest make for good reading for an open internet.

Last edited:
Associate
I have been using firefox for years and years but recently ive been using edge on my laptop because it was what was on it !

seems fine.

i think i'll install firefox on it again though i dont like chrome etc ha ah

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Over the last week or so, when using Firefox I get random tab freezing/crashes, though it doesn't occur with Chrome. :confused:

Anyone else encountering the same problem?

Scans all come up clean.

Soldato
Over the last week or so, when using Firefox I get random tab freezing/crashes, though it doesn't occur with Chrome. :confused:

Anyone else encountering the same problem?

Scans all come up clean.

I have been having FF crash on me for quite a while now - It just stops then I get box asking if I want to restore this session. Just happened now when I pressed button to pay a bill - that wasn't so bad but I spent half an hours adding my debit card so I can pay. Grrrrrrrr.
I have Vivaldi on PC - I must make the effort and use it.

Soldato
Reading up on FF stopping it recommended doing a refresh which I have done and FF seems to have it's sparkle back - only been on for a short time so not given it a hard day yet.

Hope it works

PS One day later and still working fine.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom