***Official Apple October 13 @ 18:00 BST iPhone Reveal Thread***

Soldato
Thats very true, however you're telling me the biggest company in the world with essentially an unlimited budget cant get this done in a year? Im sure they could have, but the probably just prioritized other things over it (essentially the camera as they do every year...)

They've had 18-24 months to prepare suitable screens for the iPhone 12s and, like you say, they're the biggest company in the world with the best engineers. The lack of 120hz is a cost saving exercise (5G has increased the unit costs) and they've cut the charger from the box and shaved the battery capacity to reduce the unit price of the 12 series.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

They've had 18-24 months to prepare suitable screens for the iPhone 12s and, like you say, they're the biggest company in the world with the best engineers. The lack of 120hz is a cost saving exercise (5G has increased the unit costs) and they've cut the charger from the box and shaved the battery capacity to reduce the unit price of the 12 series.

Makes sense, but they just seem so stubborn with certain things that it doesnt make sense to me

Caporegime
Not interested in this. The only significant step up from my iPhone 11 is 5G and I find 4G perfectly fast enough for my usage.
Well I think anyone going from an 11 to a 13 would be mad, it’s not worth it. Only reason I could see people doing that is because they have more money than sense and/or just want the latest tech no matter what.
Even with my 256gb XS iPhone I’m thinking should I just hang fire for another year. As the 12 series just doesn’t really excite me that much. Of course going from an X or an XS to a 12 makes more sense but for me I’m not so sure. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what I can get from Vodafone and/or maybe having to go to a store and physically playing with one...that’s if they allow you to do so.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think for me the iPhone 12 mini may be the one to buy. I don't need a big phone as I work at my desk all day, so I'm in front of a large screen already. It will be really comfortable to use 1 handed when out and about. The camera will be solid I'm sure, but for any proper photography I will use my Fuji mirrorless camera.

Soldato
AUP is not great, it kind of forces you to upgrade every year even if you dont want to. You are essentially renting a phone for a year for almost the full cost of the phone anyway

Best option is just to buy the phone outright, or just pay it off over 2 years with apple's finance option and only upgrade when you want to.

What are you on about? It doesn't force you to upgrade you just have to upgrade through Apple. It's interest free and includes Apple Care. If you keep the phone without upgrading it's no different to buying the phone outright if anything it's over a shorter period of 20 months vs 24.

I'm using a 6S and it does a fine job. When you remove photography and gaming from the equation there really is little reason to upgrade.

I am very interested in how well Apple ProRAW will do, I love using my dedicated Fuji camera but it can feel like a chore sometimes to take it out on family trips.

Agreed. If like me you just do the basic things on there. But we are on a tech enthusiast forum so i suppose it makes sense most of us get something well above our needs because... well... shiny!

Soldato
AUP is not great, it kind of forces you to upgrade every year even if you dont want to. You are essentially renting a phone for a year for almost the full cost of the phone anyway

Best option is just to buy the phone outright, or just pay it off over 2 years with apple's finance option and only upgrade when you want to.
You don’t have to upgrade with AUP you can just continue to make the payments until the loan is paid off.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

You don’t have to upgrade with AUP you can just continue to make the payments until the loan is paid off.

Yeah, but if you were planning on doing that anyway you could have just done the 2 year plan with 0% interest? The AUP is paid off in 20 months (with forced apple care for ~£200) and the regular 2 year plan is over 24 months

Soldato
5G is pointless if we’re stuck inside :p

EE currently have the most 5G, but the 1700MHz spectrum is still waiting to be bid on I think, so that could change later next year. I would base your decision on who has the best coverage for you now (4g & 5g).

I really like Three, but my monthly contract is now being cancelled so they're forcing me to change plan. The big problem I've had with Three is in any densely populated areas like around Westfields in London or in Oxford. You can have full bars but zero bandwidth. Very annoying. I would go to EE but prices are crazy high vs Three...

Soldato
Yeah, but if you were planning on doing that anyway you could have just done the 2 year plan with 0% interest? The AUP is paid off in 20 months (with forced apple care for ~£200) and the regular 2 year plan is over 24 months

I'd much rather pay something off over 20 months via 24 months and I like having AppleCare. I paid £79 for the back of my 11Pro to be fixed. Much better than the £500 odd that they'd charge for that.

The AUP is a much better alternative than just financing over 24 months in my opinion. They're both 0% interest so I guess it comes down to if you want a shorter repayment period and the safety net of AppleCare.

If anything the 24 month one seems like a rubbish deal

Soldato
I'd much rather pay something off over 20 months via 24 months and I like having AppleCare. I paid £79 for the back of my 11Pro to be fixed. Much better than the £500 odd that they'd charge for that.

The AUP is a much better alternative than just financing over 24 months in my opinion.
AUP reserves you the ability to upgrade if you wish. The interest free loan doesn’t.

Soldato
I disagree. Apple are not surveillance capitalists. They don’t scrape your behaviour to train predication products that they then sell to advertisers. That’s the business model of google and Facebook and what I very strongly disagree with.
But you are fine with Apples business model? They are all utterly terrible!! Just in different ways....

Soldato
I guess the difference is with Apple is that you know what your getting. You are paying inflated up front prices on the basis that your also not becoming the product as you are with and Google based device.

Associate
Asked the same question myself , it read to me that they credited it back as a gift card ?
But I wanted it back in my bank .

hoping someone can clarify.

If you go to Apple store app and go through the motions of buying and trading in an old phone there is an info pop up box against your trade in section. This says that if you pay in full they will on receipt of your trade in phone, ‘credit your payment method’. If you opt for the credit option then your trade in amount is applied as an instant credit to lower your monthly repayment. All subject to trade in phone match’s condition as described.

If you pay in full and your trade in is more than the cost of the new phone they will send you an Apple gift card for the remaining amount. Might be where idea that they pay the trade in value of your phone by gift card?

Soldato
I really like Three, but my monthly contract is now being cancelled so they're forcing me to change plan. The big problem I've had with Three is in any densely populated areas like around Westfields in London or in Oxford. You can have full bars but zero bandwidth. Very annoying. I would go to EE but prices are crazy high vs Three...
I’m paying £28 a month for unlimited everything on EE, which also includes Apple Music which I was paying for anyway, so essentially £18 a month for unlimited everything, including 5G.

Wouldn’t call that crazy high.

Back
Top Bottom