• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Okay so if you are not planning on overclocking then it doesn't really matter which one? I need the card for work and do not really understand overclocking that much - whenever I try and do anything in my bios it ends up in disaster!

Associate
Some are certainly better built (asus, evga) some have betrer/quiter coolers than others, some have different warranties but its basically a 10% chance you get a 2050-2100Mhz card no matter which you buy. 30% are lemons and barely overclock and stick in the 1900s and the other 60% will hit 2000Mhz.

I saw a 3090 strix oc review which could barely overclock past its clocks out of the box even with 480W of power on tap. SOme gpu chips hit their peak long before you get to the 480W power limit.

All the strix power limit does is it enables your gpu to hit its max limits. It doesnt guarantee that its a good chip.

It was the same with the 2080ti cards. Both of mine are Inno3d cards. Nothing special, very definitely near the bottom for cost when bought but both sit at 2100Mhz all day long.

I had a Pallit 1080ti and a Pallit 980ti and got lucky with both and both were very very good overclockers. The Pallit 1080ti had one of the best AIB coolers on as well and was one of the coolest 1080ti you could buy and also one of the cheapest.

Only thing wrong with pallit is the 2 year warranty and you have to ship it abroad if it goes wrong.

Regarding warranty, UK consumer law states we have 6 years of warranty and rights regardless, which is true, I did this with Corsair after arguing enough and getting through to a manager, who had no hesitation to replace and refund my faulty Dominator ram (after 5 and half years).

Caporegime
Okay so if you are not planning on overclocking then it doesn't really matter which one? I need the card for work and do not really understand overclocking that much - whenever I try and do anything in my bios it ends up in disaster!

Just pick the coolest and quietist one then or if they dont bother you just go with best warranty. After that its just a lottery on how fast your card goes even ignoring overclocking.

Associate
As Greebo said, chips are the same, and if I recall correctly they don't have the poscaps problem.

However I read that the cooler is the same as their 3080 and wasn't great for that card either...got me worried as I'm next in the queue...

Caporegime
Regarding warranty, UK consumer law states we have 6 years of warranty and rights regardless, which is true, I did this with Corsair after arguing enough and getting through to a manager, who had no hesitation to replace and refund my faulty Dominator ram (after 5 and half years).

Yeah good luck arguing that with say the likes of Pallit and dealing with people in Hong Kong.

Associate
Some ram has a 999 month warranty. I had no issue getting ram replacement with Corsair when a stick went faulty.

Associate
Some ram has a 999 month warranty. I had no issue getting ram replacement with Corsair when a stick went faulty.

I forgot to mention this was with Amazon, who let me keep the ram, send it back to Corsair (who replaced it no issues), but Amazon refunded me full amount. But just wangle consumer law in-front of them and they break at the knees.

Associate
I've fallen out with my watch! I got 2 shipping notification alerts come through to it late last night, so read them bleary eyed when I awoke this morning all excited that my MSI Trio 3090 had shipped as well as a small order I placed yesterday. No such luck :( it was just yesterdays small order had shipped and for some reason my watch showed it twice :(

Associate
I've fallen out with my watch! I got 2 shipping notification alerts come through to it late last night, so read them bleary eyed when I awoke this morning all excited that my MSI Trio 3090 had shipped as well as a small order I placed yesterday. No such luck :( it was just yesterdays small order had shipped and for some reason my watch showed it twice :(
Your watch GPU blue balled you

Associate
Just saw a video by Moore's Law is Dead and the atrocity that Nvidia pulled with 3080/3090 chips. They were withholding chips from AiB's. Gross.

They shipped less than 1/10th of their total available quantity of GPU chips.
Yeah, so towards the end of October they will flood the market with 3090's and 3080's (and especially 3070s); to negate AMDs launches.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just saw a video by Moore's Law is Dead and the atrocity that Nvidia pulled with 3080/3090 chips. They were withholding chips from AiB's. Gross.

They shipped less than 1/10th of their total available quantity of GPU chips.
Yeah, so towards the end of October they will flood the market with 3090's and 3080's (and especially 3070s); to negate AMDs launches.

Clearly saving them in case they need to quickly dump the market with loads of 20Gb 3080S/ti cards next month after AMD's launch,.

Associate
You might be right, I had in my mind Hong Kong but same difference. You have to send your card back to Taiwan if it goes faulty.
I had to send a faulty MSI monitor to Poland and that was bad enough, took about a month to get it back. What makes it worse is they didn't even repair the issue, and then MSI and the retailer (not Overclockers) refused to replace/refund or fix the problem and now I'm stuck with a faulty monitor and £400 sized hole in my pocket.
I know that's totally unrelated but I like to warn people about the type of scummy people MSI are.

Associate

I take everything that 'gentleman' claims with a big pinch of salt, it's fairly obvious he's in some way affiliated with AMD and has a very set agenda that and I don't overly like his smug attitude but that's just a personal bias ;P

That aside NVIDIA did screw this launch, AMD now have the opportunity to show us how it should be done.

Associate
I take everything that 'gentleman' claims with a big pinch of salt, it's fairly obvious he's in some way affiliated with AMD and has a very set agenda that and I don't overly like his smug attitude but that's just a personal bias ;P

That aside NVIDIA did screw this launch, AMD now have the opportunity to show us how it should be done.

It's not just me that gets that vibe from him then. Good to know :D

Soldato
Cancelled my 3090 Strix OC yesterday (was 158 in the queue) so queue positions are changing, be interesting to see if others on the same queue get an updated email.

Decided with the news that Nvidia is swapping to TSMC's 7nm node to wait for that. I think a 3080ti 20GB on TSMC 7nm card is very likely at this point - it should have much lower power consumption, higher clocks and better availability. Tbh I doubt I'd have had my Strix 3090 OC much before the new year anyway.

This launch has been terrible and I'm glad to be done with it. Roll on big navi and the 7nm versions of the 3080/3090.

Associate
Cancelled my 3090 Strix OC yesterday (was 158 in the queue) so queue positions are changing, be interesting to see if others on the same queue get an updated email.

Decided with the news that Nvidia is swapping to TSMC's 7nm node to wait for that. I think a 3080ti 20GB on TSMC 7nm card is very likely at this point - it should have much lower power consumption, higher clocks and better availability. Tbh I doubt I'd have had my Strix 3090 OC much before the new year anyway.

This launch has been terrible and I'm glad to be done with it. Roll on big navi and the 7nm versions of the 3080/3090.

Awesome News! Love it when I hear someone in front of me leaves the queue,I hope there’s many more I don’t know about

Back
Top Bottom