Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
Spent too long the other week deliberating on what equipment to get when stores replened and everywhere is sold out again.

Just want an olympic bar, circa 100kg of weights, a bench and half/full squat rack. The places that are in stock are eye watering prices.

Associate
What is everyone using for heating?
8x12 un-insulated brick garage with up and over door. More like a lean-to tbh - old corrugated roof with gaps galore!
I'm not expecting to be able to make it toasty, just hopefully get it up to a reasonable temperature before a workout.
I was thinking of some sort of heater on a smart plug I can turn on for an hour before starting.
Anyone have a recommendation for a heater?

Man of Honour
Spent too long the other week deliberating on what equipment to get when stores replened and everywhere is sold out again.

Just want an olympic bar, circa 100kg of weights, a bench and half/full squat rack. The places that are in stock are eye watering prices.

With lockdowns active again and more widespread lockdowns mooted, no, probably not great timing. During lockdown I deliberated for 6 hours and nearly missed out on the last barbell available anywhere.

8x12 un-insulated brick garage with up and over door. More like a lean-to tbh - old corrugated roof with gaps galore!
I'm not expecting to be able to make it toasty, just hopefully get it up to a reasonable temperature before a workout.
I was thinking of some sort of heater on a smart plug I can turn on for an hour before starting.

My dehumidifer is set to a humidity level (40%) and otherwise left to its own devices - it adds a little warmth too. It rarely comes on unless I'm active in there. I then have one of these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WT1X83R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but for a larger space you'll need something more powerful. I have it set on the thermostat to hit 16-17C (I don't want it warmer) and so far its managed this being on the low power setting. Both my lights and heater are on smart plugs, so I switch them on when I get home and by the time I've changed and had my pre-workout the gym is ready to go.

Soldato
With lockdowns active again and more widespread lockdowns mooted, no, probably not great timing. During lockdown I deliberated for 6 hours and nearly missed out on the last barbell available anywhere.

You snooze, you lose as they say.

I really hadn't expected the stock to shift within such a short time frame. Guess i'm stuck on the rowing machine for the foreseeable.

Consigliere
Been following this guy for a while. Very straight, no ego/casual but very factual and clear with how he presents his diet and routine.

Thought this could be of interest to you guys:

Soldato

Chuck a hoodie on and run up and down your stairs a few times and embrace the cold. You seen learn to ignore it!

Soldato
Been following this guy for a while. Very straight, no ego/casual but very factual and clear with how he presents his diet and routine.

I'd kill for that kind of space... but thanks!

Anyone have any idea with laying mats? I've read a few places saying that where you cut sections to fit in you should aim to allow about an extra 1cm and then tap them into place with a mallet - I guess the idea being that it creates as tight a fit as possible... But I really don't want to get it wrong because I hate having to try and shave an extra 1cm (ish) off of something I've already cut if it is too big!

Consigliere
I'd kill for that kind of space... but thanks!

Anyone have any idea with laying mats? I've read a few places saying that where you cut sections to fit in you should aim to allow about an extra 1cm and then tap them into place with a mallet - I guess the idea being that it creates as tight a fit as possible... But I really don't want to get it wrong because I hate having to try and shave an extra 1cm (ish) off of something I've already cut if it is too big!

In the video, Joe mentions flooring with the links, how he installed it etc. Did you see that bit? I can find it for you if not though! :)

Soldato
Okay I watched it now - seems like its easy enough to just cut the mats to be the exact size of the space and worrying about allowing extra etc. is not needed. I've got some black duct tape which I'm going to tape the seams up with as well just to minimise any gaps or anywhere for dust etc. to get in

Having watched the video I'm even more jealous of the space he had though - it's basically twice the length and width of my area so 4x larger footprint overall. If I had the space a rack + functional trainer + cardio equipment just like he's done would be pretty much ideal but I think I'm going to have to settle for something much more basic!

Man of Honour
Okay I watched it now - seems like its easy enough to just cut the mats to be the exact size of the space and worrying about allowing extra etc. is not needed. I've got some black duct tape which I'm going to tape the seams up with as well just to minimise any gaps or anywhere for dust etc. to get in

Having watched the video I'm even more jealous of the space he had though - it's basically twice the length and width of my area so 4x larger footprint overall. If I had the space a rack + functional trainer + cardio equipment just like he's done would be pretty much ideal but I think I'm going to have to settle for something much more basic!

What you need will be dependent on your goals. I don't need half of what he has. A smaller space also means it is cheaper and easier to control the climate. I'm working out in a 2x3 space and am in better shape than I ever was in my local gym (I'd perhaps have 3x3 if I could and could use a pulldown, but I have no way to do that currently). Its one of the biggest life changers for me coming out of lockdown. No more waiting for equipment, can take my time, have the temperature set to where I want it, no wasting time chatting - the list goes on! Next year I will upgrade my squat rack - I've had 252.5kg on there, but I'm probably pushing it .

Soldato
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm fully convinced and my gym is almost ready to go - I'm sure I can fit enough equipment into my space to make it more than worthwhile but it would still be great to have a big double garage to work with

Associate
My dehumidifer is set to a humidity level (40%) and otherwise left to its own devices - it adds a little warmth too. It rarely comes on unless I'm active in there. I then have one of these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WT1X83R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but for a larger space you'll need something more powerful. I have it set on the thermostat to hit 16-17C (I don't want it warmer) and so far its managed this being on the low power setting. Both my lights and heater are on smart plugs, so I switch them on when I get home and by the time I've changed and had my pre-workout the gym is ready to go.
Thanks. That looks a little small but I'll bear it in mind.

Man of Honour
The main issue I have is how cold the bars are, numb hands/fingers after 1 set is fun. Like curling blocks of ice.

So far I've not had a problem - but it was a little cold on Monday. Eventually it warms up, but I'm curious to see what its like after a night below freezing.

Associate
My old gym didn't put the heating on in winter (or at least it was never on first thing in the morning).
Converted warehouse/factory with high ceilings and draughty windows and it was bloody freezing! The first couple of sets with a barbell were pretty uncomfortable.
By the time I was warm enough to take my woolly hat off I'd generally got used to /forgotten about the barbell.
That said my working sets are only 5 reps, so easy enough to power through.

I've just ordered one of these.

Back
Top Bottom