• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

rtx 3080 20gb coming Dec

Caporegime
I think you're off by an order of magnitude if not two.
Trying to underestimate. Reckon there’s probably 100k+ cards still on back order worldwide and EU customers now can’t even get them direct from nvidia at the moment. At least it means not having to deal with Digital River!

If Big Navi launches before December with plentiful stock and comparable performance I could see quite a few 3080 orders being cancelled.

Caporegime
Not this year but next year when production and supply issues are sorted out I can see it happening especially as it would be halfway through the generation cycle and time for a refresh. Its not like they havn't done it before.

"could" lol. Better buy a lottery ticket. Nvidia aren't going to make it that easy for you to get an FE.

Wasnt really specifically mentioning the FE. There are at least 4 models from AIB that have MSRP of £649 or less. The cheapest should be £589 but due to short supply they arent.

Hence the 3070 Asus at £669 is even more ridiculous, with normal supply £669 should have bought you a decent slightly oc 3080 card.

I did notice that Nvidia announced that they have given up on selling the 3080FE in the US and the cards will only be sold by retailers now.

Associate
I wish people would stop saying nothing today needs more than 8-10gb, some of us only buy a card every 4-5 years so we need that buffer.

Caporegime
I wish people would stop saying nothing today needs more than 8-10gb, some of us only buy a card every 4-5 years so we need that buffer.

Exactly. Already 2 years on there are games you cant run max details as the 8gb of the 2080 is limiting them. Thats why Nvidia used the 2080 in all its charts to make the 3080 show as even better than it is at 4k.

I said this the other day that a lot of people keep their cards for 4 to 5 years.

If I hadnt been offered two 2080ti at half price, the card I was using would be 4 years old now and that had 11Gb then.

Permabanned

That's not what is being said. We are saying that by the time you need more VRAM you will also need a better GPU. The irony here of an aging card is that you end up turning down the settings due to the GPU thus using less VRAM anyway.

RT is the main reason the GPU won't be strong enough. Much like the launch of hardware T&L back in the day.

Associate
@morta

I'm 13th in queue for a 3080 aorus xtreme hope this gives you abit more clarity that you could be waiting ages as im within the top 20 orders and have had zero communication on when to expect it other than my queue position email. Now i dont mined waiting but some update on when they expect shipment or estimate a how many more weeks/months .. As i am considering other options when available if i dont have mine when the 20gb 3080 is up for preorder.

ya this is what im considering to do.

Soldato
Not if the higher gb version is £150-200 more (plus low stock tax). It'll be £1k at least I think. For 1440p gaming (and the odd dabble in 4K), that's not really necessary imo. I'll just replace the 3080 10gb (if I can find one soon...) with the 4000 series, which will almost certainly increase in gb.

A 3080 is best suited for 4k. It's a waste for 1440P imo. Of course 10GB VRAM is enough for 1440P, thats lower resolution that the new consoles even.

A 3080 is best suited for 4k. It's a waste for 1440P imo. Of course 10GB VRAM is enough for 1440P, thats lower resolution that the new consoles even.
I'm building my first PC, so have no current card to stick with (plus it's a huge step up over my Xbox One X, with terrible 30fps stutter-fests). I'll probably be able to see the 3070 reviews as I'll struggle to get a 3080 anytime soon, but I suspect it'll be a fair bit worse. I also have a 4K60 monitor I can dabble with for non-FPS games, etc.

Soldato
You mean the new consoles that can't even run 4k 60fps properly since they have dips? Or 30fps locked? Or scaled back graphics just to hit 1440p 120fps in a less demanding game like Dirt? 3080 is not a waste at 1440p, even Hardware Unboxed said this.

This is just rubbish, why would i care if the new consoles have a higher resolution if they scale back on frame rate or graphics?

Last edited:
Associate
The 10gb version definitely will, but I have my doubts even on the 20gb version. I'd rather buy the cheaper 10gb version now (assume the 20gb version is £150 or so more), and then buy a replacement sooner.
All depends how good the next cards are and what prices they come in at. I skipped the Turing generation and did not feel like I was missing out all that much. My personal pref is that there needs to be 50% improvement before I upgrade. Plus if your on a lower res it looks as though gen on gen improvements are getting worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 10gb version definitely will, but I have my doubts even on the 20gb version. I'd rather buy the cheaper 10gb version now (assume the 20gb version is £150 or so more), and then buy a replacement sooner.

Good luck with getting a 3080 10GB now :p

If it were available, in stock, then you'd have a point. It's not, so it's an easy decision for many. Wait for the 'fixed' 3080ti on TSMC 7nm with double the VRAM.

All depends how good the next cards are and what prices they come in at. I skipped the Turing generation and did feel like I was missing out all that much. My personal pref is that there needs to be 50% improvement before I upgrade. Plus if your on a lower res it looks as though gen on gen improvements are getting worse.
I'm looking to build my first gaming PC, and think this is largely a 1440p generation (given I play primarily FPS games). I also have a bog-standard 4K60 monitor that I can play story/driving games in. I think the next gen onwards will be safely 4K, and by then hopefully 144hz 4K monitors will be decent.

Back
Top Bottom