Sanity check for an EKWB loop, with pics & parts listings

Associate
Hi all,

I'm about to add watercooling loop to my setup, and I'd like some professional opinions on the choices of the parts I'm about to buy. I'm going with the EKWB brand, and I think I've caught all the parts I need but you never know if you for got 1 key piece of equipment.

I'm sure I got the right hardware (the blocks, pump/res combo, rads) its more the fittings I'm bit anxious about. Do i have enough etc...

Main PC Hardware...
- be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
- ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
- Intel Core i7-8700K
- 32gb 3600 Corsair
- ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 010G

The Watercooled loop hardware...
Gl2Wpz1.jpg
Connectors
xi7qBpN.jpg

Then another q would be what would be the correct flow direction, I'm thinking CCW, as per the pics.
It leaves the gfx card -> res -> main radiator, so i theory the output of the toasty gfx beast should receive the maximum cooling, before going back into the loop.

Or should I set the loop in a CW direction, and the chilled liquid flows from the main rad -> pump/res -> gfx?

Soldato
Looks pretty good.

The EK velocity does have a specific in and out port. so if you was to have it so the EK logo faces downwards on the CPU block, then the inlet port would be on the left hand side, so in your image flow coming in from the Rear PE 120mm rad --> CPU block then up to the 360mm rad.

The flow aside route will not matter too much otherwise, the water should be moving at a sufficient rate anyways that the water temp becomes largely similar or to the point it becomes largely irrelevant in terms of impacting component thermals / boost behaviour.

Associate
OP
Awesome thx, yeah the nitty gritty of the hooking up directly to the components will be done on the day, but good catch, I'll def look out for the one :)
I know I'm also over purchasing the amount of connectors, but all I keep hearing is people saying... buy more than u need, coz you never know :). Especially, mixing up with the straight / 90 degree version to catch all the potential fitting issues.

I've never done a wc loop before, and its hard to see the connections on the pics.
But with the GFX blocks, they look like they have 4 connectors, 2 either side, and you choose which way you want to connect the pipes, the same side / opposite etc.. (making sure you run the liquid thru the card :))
And you simply plug up the un-used holes?

Soldato
Awesome thx, yeah the nitty gritty of the hooking up directly to the components will be done on the day, but good catch, I'll def look out for the one :)
I know I'm also over purchasing the amount of connectors, but all I keep hearing is people saying... buy more than u need, coz you never know :). Especially, mixing up with the straight / 90 degree version to catch all the potential fitting issues.

I've never done a wc loop before, and its hard to see the connections on the pics.
But with the GFX blocks, they look like they have 4 connectors, 2 either side, and you choose which way you want to connect the pipes, the same side / opposite etc.. (making sure you run the liquid thru the card :))
And you simply plug up the un-used holes?

Yup agree with that, buy more fittings then you want more so connectors in the mix. Easier to have them on hand as find as you get into things, plans change.

in regards to the GPU block correct. Normally will get two blank plugs in the GPU bundle to seal up the two ports you will not use.

Associate
OP
About the push / pull scenario... I saw the other sticky thread from Drazek
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ng-build-updated-07-07-2017-phase-3.18749453/ And he also has the DarkBase 900.

Space issues
In his pics, he has the fans on top -> case frame -> then the rad (inside the main body). Pull config??

drazek-pc-top-rad-fans.jpg

I also do this currently, with a Corsair 150i reversed. But I have the rad on top then case frame then fans inside the main body. Push config??
I'm pretty sure there is not the space vertically for a fan -> frame -> rad -> fan.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do the push / pull but the space is tight. Theres only enough space to host 1 item above the frame (fan or rad).

Now, further to this, I've been researching around and reading up, and this configuration, of having stuff above the frame on this case (whether its the rad or fans) people says its a big no no. never do it.
Thankfully, seeing his setup I feel that its not a problem. I've never had probs with cpu temps. The case is vented like 270 degrees around the top (not the front) so there is plenty of space for the hot air to escape, so I don't feel this is a bad configuration.
I is a tight fit, but I think there is enough room for the air to escape

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thx for the pro tip on the fans, yeah those Arctic P12 fans are the ones.
Also, going against my prev post, later on in the thread, he's managed to squeeze rad + fans on both sides.
I'll have a rethink on this as well then. :)

Associate
I'm doing something very similar with slightly different specs.

Lian Li o11 dynamic xl
Intel i9 10900k
Asus ROG Maximus Formula xii
Asus 3080 TUF OC

I'm currently running a loop with one 360 Rad but will be adding another 360 when my GPU block arrives.. I'm interested in how you're going to run the fans with a CPU/GPU set up? Mine are currently on the CPU header as is my pump would the GPU stay cool running all 6 fans off the two GPU headers?

Associate
OP
I think I'm going with:
pump/res -> 360 -> cpu -> 120 -> gpu, All on the same loop circuit.
I want all the fans to act as one, so I think I'd attach them to the H_AMP connector.
Since I'll use this 1 cable that splits to 4 fans (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended), I think this is right connector to use.

Plz can I ask help/ conformation on this!

It does state its specifically for high amp fans, but does this qualify when u have 4 fans on the 1 connector, as a high amp draw?
(A reply from cin9 reckons thats the right method for a multi-fan splitter cable... https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/maximus-x-hero-fan-headers.3257267/) But do you trust what u read on the internets :p

attachment.php

Then I'll connect the pump to the W_PUMP+
& the various remaining front chassis fans on CHA_FAN 2,3

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Associate
I have my current 3 fans using an EKWB 3 fan splitter going into CPU_FAN I think I will put the other 3 into CPU_OPT then the pump into W_PUMP+ I'm assuming the bios can control the pump speed the same way it can control the CPU fan speed?

Associate
OP
Yeah, from what I'm reading, the CPU_OPT will just take its que from whatever CPU_FAN is doing, keeping them in sync.
Yeah, so long as its all PWM tech.. it should just roll with it.

But I'm not 100% sure why you'd want to manage the pump.
I would have thought that being the key piece of hardware you'd want that constantly maxed out to keep the juices flowing.

Associate
From what I have been reading having the pump at 100% is overkill but again I'm new to this.. I was thinking of running 3 fans from the GPU fan header but not sure if that is possible..

Associate
OP
OK, thx guys, so how do u actually control the PUMP speed?
I get it the that the fans use the PWM to control their speed, and then the pump is also on connected via the similar mobo 4 pin plug, (but tagged with PUMP).

Does it just translate that inside the bios to understand the difference a fan vs pump, coz its on the right connector?

So as the temps go up, it sends a signal to all the PWM devices, to inc the active duty cycle, fans spin faster, pumps... pump more. And then once cool, dec the duty cycle. Irrespective of the device on the end, they all just listen out for the signal from the mobo.

Its my first wc build so I'm a little confused about how the pump is controlled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom