LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
I am looking to get one of these when my 3080 arrives as 4K120 in Windows must be amazing on an OLED screen.

Is the base of the screen without the stand flat? I have my current Samsung 47" 4K TV resting on the desk and some brackets at the back to keep it all steady.

Can I do this on the CX?

20201011-090018.jpg

I'm doing the same with my Philips 43 right now, but you can't do it with the LG OLED as the panel extends a few millimeters below the box.

However - I _need_ to stand mine on the desk like you've showed so I'll 3D print an adapter that goes below the box so I can put it flat on my desk.

I assume you could just glue 2 pieces of wood on the box if you don't mind the speakers being covered.

Associate
Does the CX48 model versions. 5LC and 6LB have Different firmware?
I called LG UK to clarify the situation with new firmware 03.11.26
I found the firmware on the 6LB version of the TV. But not the 5LC, basically nothing there.
LG UK customer service was completely clueless about everything and told me NOT to update the CX48 5LC with 6LB firmware, even tho it is the same TV. I asked what the difference was, they said "different retailers has different model numbers but it is the same TV".
Again I asked the firmware should work then, But it was no guarantee. And if it got bricked it would be my fault.
Could someone elaborate on this?

Permabanned
I'm doing the same with my Philips 43 right now, but you can't do it with the LG OLED as the panel extends a few millimeters below the box.

However - I _need_ to stand mine on the desk like you've showed so I'll 3D print an adapter that goes below the box so I can put it flat on my desk.

I assume you could just glue 2 pieces of wood on the box if you don't mind the speakers being covered.

Yes I can do that to be fair. Seems the perfect screen for the 3080 so would be a shame to miss out over something like this.

If you get it to work happy to pay for the same 3d prints?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I'll get a look at that later, mate... been a busy one today. :)

3080 honeymoon period not over yet :p

do you guys think the price on this will ever drop? as in soon ever not like...ever ever?

JL got £100 gift voucher deal right now, you could sell it for similar on flebay and get £100 off the CX48, otherwise yeah it's out of stock even in JL and many places due to demand and everyone's at home so the box is their covid life support right nowx, doubtful prices go down for this year if you got the space the CX55 is a better, cheaper @ 1.3K, think it was £1250 last week with Curries voucher also.

What is everyone's table depth using this CX48?

Due to update my work space so could customise the dimension for my table!

80cm depth, ideally id say its still too small for the CX48, id say the sweet spot is a bigger depth of 1.0 or 1.2m or bigger. I may mod my desk, so I add an extra 6-8 inches of wood behind it to give me further depth (hate to leave a gap behind the desk and wall) but will test that first to see if it works. Night light or Flux app are lifesavers imo especially if surfing or watching videos.

Last edited:
Associate
How much better do games look in full 10bit 4:4:4 colour compared to my 2080Ti in 4k/120Hz, using YcbCr4:2:0?
If I ever get my hands on a 3080, I'm curious as to how much difference it'll make...

Associate
Does the CX48 model versions. 5LC and 6LB have Different firmware?
I called LG UK to clarify the situation with new firmware 03.11.26
I found the firmware on the 6LB version of the TV. But not the 5LC, basically nothing there.
LG UK customer service was completely clueless about everything and told me NOT to update the CX48 5LC with 6LB firmware, even tho it is the same TV. I asked what the difference was, they said "different retailers has different model numbers but it is the same TV".
Again I asked the firmware should work then, But it was no guarantee. And if it got bricked it would be my fault.

5LC and 6LB is just a colour difference not the TV, 5LC is light silver 6LB is Dark silver on the TV stand in UK and in the settings leave "Auto update on" the TV will update on it own when you turn on the TV don't need to download any firmware for it.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I asked what the difference was, they said "different retailers has different model numbers but it is the same TV". Again I asked the firmware should work then, But it was no guarantee. And if it got bricked it would be my fault.

I don't recommend chancing/bricking such an expensive TV, if you are desperate and cannot wait try a manual flash, LG do have a TV firmware page but when I checked last week it was empty oddly for me but others said it had the new firmware and downloaded it on usb and flashed it.

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware

How much better do games look in full 10bit 4:4:4 colour compared to my 2080Ti in 4k/120Hz, using YcbCr4:2:0?
If I ever get my hands on a 3080, I'm curious as to how much difference it'll make...

Results are pretty clear cut to me:

I did some digging into YcbCr vs RGB 1 page back here:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34057240

Long story short use RGB with Full output Dynamic range in Nvidia gpu control settings, those 2 are important. I suspect many have not used RBG and set it to limited Dynamic range like diggler above, it's a shame to lose lovely detail and colours. You would think Nvidia/AMD would have an auto TV/Monitor checker to test various settings/refresh rates etc to find the best one, or maybe I missed it I don't game.

Is this worth it for pc gaming? Not to big? how far or close are people sitting thinking about picking up one these in November.

check my post 3 post above, imo even 80cm deep depth desk are not enough the 48" cx is a beast, maybe 120cm deep depth or more would be better.
You also have to adjust brightness or maybe use the blue filter/night light or flux to manage contrast/brightness otherwise your eyes will fall out from the sockets.

There really is no way to prepare for it till its in front of you, but maybe use a cardboard cut to the same size as the LG48cx and stick it on the wall or stick end of desk and push your desk back so you can gauge the distance yourself.

Ytube reviewers used an 80cm deep desk like myself but even one of them admitted he prefers to push the chair back a few inches (maybe 120-150cm) so it's just more comfortable on the eyes.

Associate
Is this worth it for pc gaming? Not to big? how far or close are people sitting thinking about picking up one these in November.

Yes if you like HDR gaming, for people that have small space go for the CX48 but I went for a CX55 because I like big screens, don't sit to close to an OLED in HDR it would hurt your eyes over time best to sit over 3-4 feet away if you can. if you mix the contents on your OLED that would be fine, but if you like allots of hours of just gaming only then go for a LED +HDR also the OLED's work best in low light to dark room not bright lit rooms it's the best LG OLED in 2020 my opinion :D

Last edited:
Associate
Yes if you like HDR gaming, for people that have small space go for the CX48 but I went for a CX55 because I like big screens, don't sit to close to an OLED in HDR it would hurt your eyes best to sit over 3-4 feet away if you mix the contents on your OLED that would be fine, but if you like allots of hours like of just gaming only then go for a LED +HDR also the OLED's work best in low light to dark room not bright lit rooms it's the best LG OLED in 2020 my opinion :D

constantly looking through this thread as I will be using a pc/ps5
But probably playing a lot of Fifa probably suggests to me not to go for oled,
Wrong thread but is their any good led/hdr TVs roughly the same size as the LG as I will be sitting at a desk with the same specs (hdmi 2.1 etc) ?

Associate
constantly looking through this thread as I will be using a pc/ps5
But probably playing a lot of Fifa probably suggests to me not to go for oled,
Wrong thread but is their any good led/hdr TVs roughly the same size as the LG as I will be sitting at a desk with the same specs (hdmi 2.1 etc) ?

As far as I know LG makes the best gaming TVs IMO go for an LG Nano TV, 49inch if you compare the TVs 4k stranded TV+HDR have only grey black, 4k NanoCell TV+HDR have deep blacks, 4k Premium OLED+HDR have Ink black and perfect colour. it's your choice

LG OLED gaming
https://www.lg.com/uk/lgoled/sub/gaming.jsp

LG Nanocell gaming
https://www.lg.com/uk/lgnanocell/sub/gaming.jsp

P.S to be fair to the OP thread this LG only

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I ended up switching back to YcbCr as I thought it looked better. :eek:

Speechless :eek:

Maybe since the LG although a high-end gaming monitor it's also a TV screen perhaps, will have to wait a few months before I can compare but if your eyes prefer YcbCr stick with it !

Soldato
Mines just a basic flat mounted universal wall mount:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O32BOU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The OLED vesa mounts are pretty low down on the TV, so the TV sits on the bottom few holes on my bracket.

The top of the vertical bars are about 2-3 inches from the top of my TV. Does that help?
It does, thanks! I'm trying to work out if I can wall mount the TV below a window. The top of the TV would come up past the window sill, which is fine - the window has pull down blinds rather than curtains. I just want to make sure the TV wouldn't be too low.

Back
Top Bottom