• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen ClockTuner

Associate
That’s what I read. But someone on this thread has said that RM needs to be uninstalled and bios reflashed in order for the tool to work which I can’t seem to find any references to on the guide.

is it just someone causing confusion over something that’s extremely simplistic?

also question on BIOS setting still stands. All settings as default other than the VRM settings and obviously make sure RAM isn’t clicked at ridiculous speed. But what about Vsoc? That affects ram stability

Sounds extreme tbh, just read the guide and the notes on the download page, maybe watch the vid the dev tweeted.

Question on bios settings doesn't still stand. The guide states stable memory/system, so up to you what you do with the rest of it.
It doesn't specifically mention Vsoc, as that is covered under having stable mem/a stable system.
If it doesn't specifically mention to set something and you are happy your system is stable, then wouldn't worry too much imo.

though tbh just wait for the new version, sounds like a lot has been added/fixed, hopefully he'll redo the instructions for running it.

Associate
I get that, but playing pubg with this on my fps max was 76fps, normally it never drops below 100 and I have to cap it at 144fps to stop tearing in certain map areas.

No idea, maybe PUBG just really loves single core speed?
All I've ever heard about PUBG when it comes to perf is that it loves tight mem timings over raw mem speed.
So dropping the speed a bit on a high speed mem kit to get tighter timings has been mentioned to work.

Not sure if it is the same on all mobos but I have an odd performance thing with my Aorus pro, in that I can get a massive drop in mem performance (I think it's mem and not CPU).

It seems if I change too much in BIOS at once, or if it hard power resets in a stress test like in CTR, just going into bios changing something and hitting F10 to save and letting it boot can sometimes give me the issue.
If I hit F10 to save, let it boot to windows logon, shutdown from the lock screen, then power up fresh changing nothing perf is as it should be.
Everything in RM, HWiNFO, ZenTimings etc looks as it should but my test shows a drop in perf.

I basically just run a 'standard' test with IntelBurnTest. If things are fine I get around 13X GFlops, if I have this odd issue I get around 11X GFlops.
Not bothered testing with anything else as IBT on standard takes <7s to do a loop and instantly I can see if the issue is there or not.

I'm assuming there is something in BIOS set to 'Auto' that is picking an odd value on certain warm reboots, where as a cold boot it picks a better setting.
V. odd.

Only mention this as if you are making a lot of changes/playing about etc, maybe you have a similar issue in that on a warm reboot in-between making changes and testing you're getting this odd issue.

Associate
No idea, maybe PUBG just really loves single core speed?
All I've ever heard about PUBG when it comes to perf is that it loves tight mem timings over raw mem speed.
So dropping the speed a bit on a high speed mem kit to get tighter timings has been mentioned to work.

Not sure if it is the same on all mobos but I have an odd performance thing with my Aorus pro, in that I can get a massive drop in mem performance (I think it's mem and not CPU).

It seems if I change too much in BIOS at once, or if it hard power resets in a stress test like in CTR, just going into bios changing something and hitting F10 to save and letting it boot can sometimes give me the issue.
If I hit F10 to save, let it boot to windows logon, shutdown from the lock screen, then power up fresh changing nothing perf is as it should be.
Everything in RM, HWiNFO, ZenTimings etc looks as it should but my test shows a drop in perf.

I basically just run a 'standard' test with IntelBurnTest. If things are fine I get around 13X GFlops, if I have this odd issue I get around 11X GFlops.
Not bothered testing with anything else as IBT on standard takes <7s to do a loop and instantly I can see if the issue is there or not.

I'm assuming there is something in BIOS set to 'Auto' that is picking an odd value on certain warm reboots, where as a cold boot it picks a better setting.
V. odd.

Only mention this as if you are making a lot of changes/playing about etc, maybe you have a similar issue in that on a warm reboot in-between making changes and testing you're getting this odd issue.

It's 100% the clock tuner causing the massive FPS drop, but why, I've no idea... my memory timings are as tight as I can get them (3600 CL14) and I've tried lowering to 3200 CL14 and it makes absolutely no difference.

My motherboard is generally stable and there's no oddities with it, I've been running the same BIOS for AGESA 1.0.0.4 patch B since release (tried newer ones which were bad for memory) and it's rock solid.

I think I'll give up with the clock tuner until a newer version which hopefully fixes these issues is out... although as soon as a BIOS for Zen 3 is available I'm getting a 5900x or 5950x anyway.

Soldato
I've now run this on my release day 3600 and it looks to be a poor clocker. It is rated as Bronze and when I run a diagnostic test of 4050Mhz at 1.3v thread #13 falls down. As a result it says run 3900MHz at 1.275v, undervolt 3750MHz at 1.175.

I'm a little disappointed however the big thing I was looking at was the instability of my system as a whole. I've run the 3600 at stock settings from purchase and up until I bought my new 5600XT in March it didn't crash at all, so around a year of use. As soon as I got the card I experienced the recent AMD driver issues of blue screen, black screen, system lockups etc and I attributed this to the card as it was the only thing that had changed.

What I'm now thinking is that my system and, more importantly, the CPU wasn't being taxed enough with my previous GFX card (ATi 5870) so now that it is being utilised more I'm encountering issues. I've set the tuner to run the CPU at 3900MHz with 1.3v and it's still early days as I only did a full system resintall on Sunday and I've not played too much but so far I've had no crashes at all.

Caporegime
I've now run this on my release day 3600 and it looks to be a poor clocker. It is rated as Bronze and when I run a diagnostic test of 4050Mhz at 1.3v thread #13 falls down. As a result it says run 3900MHz at 1.275v, undervolt 3750MHz at 1.175.

I'm a little disappointed however the big thing I was looking at was the instability of my system as a whole. I've run the 3600 at stock settings from purchase and up until I bought my new 5600XT in March it didn't crash at all, so around a year of use. As soon as I got the card I experienced the recent AMD driver issues of blue screen, black screen, system lockups etc and I attributed this to the card as it was the only thing that had changed.

What I'm now thinking is that my system and, more importantly, the CPU wasn't being taxed enough with my previous GFX card (ATi 5870) so now that it is being utilised more I'm encountering issues. I've set the tuner to run the CPU at 3900MHz with 1.3v and it's still early days as I only did a full system resintall on Sunday and I've not played too much but so far I've had no crashes at all.
If the CPU is unstable at stock settings, with memory running at stock too, you should RMA it back to AMD and we will send you a replacement.

Associate

Just for reference mine is also poor, rated bronze but much more capable, recommended OC 4150/1.256v and 4000/1.175v undervolt. What mobo and cooler are you using?

Associate
That’s what I read. But someone on this thread has said that RM needs to be uninstalled and bios reflashed in order for the tool to work which I can’t seem to find any references to on the guide.

is it just someone causing confusion over something that’s extremely simplistic?

also question on BIOS setting still stands. All settings as default other than the VRM settings and obviously make sure RAM isn’t clicked at ridiculous speed. But what about Vsoc? That affects ram stability

All the recommended bios settings are default except LLC, he says you can use this on auto but don't, use the manual setting he recommends. You just need RM 2.3, grab from his link because older versions of RM will say they are latest version and wont update within RM, can imagine some are confused thinking they have latest RM. You don't need to flash bios, just have a supported version.

Soldato
Just for reference mine is also poor, rated bronze but much more capable, recommended OC 4150/1.256v and 4000/1.175v undervolt. What mobo and cooler are you using?

Hey there, I'm using a B450 Mortar Titanium and I've got a Raijintek Ereboss cooler with AM4 adapter plate. Temperatures all seem pretty good when under full load but have wondered about upgrading the cooler as I bought it for my old 4670k.

Associate
Hey there, I'm using a B450 Mortar Titanium and I've got a Raijintek Ereboss cooler with AM4 adapter plate. Temperatures all seem pretty good when under full load but have wondered about upgrading the cooler as I bought it for my old 4670k.

Mobo is more than fine. What's your peak temps running cb20 multi at stock?

Associate
Running stock voltage and clocks it is able to hit around 4.050Ghz across all the cores with a maximum voltage in HWinfo of 1.413 with a maximum temp of 74 degrees.

If I limit the voltage to 1.3 and the clocks to 3.9Ghz I see no higher than 64 degrees.

I use RM to monitor and my peak voltage at stock is 1.35v, are you using latest powerplan, gotta be a difference in hwinfo and RM monitoring??

All seems fine there, 64c (max load in cb20?) at 1.3v is pretty decent for that crusty old cooler.

Assuming all other things are good I would just guess you just have a really bad one if it wont pass 4050 at 1.3v??. Mine will do 4200/[email protected] (bronze)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm using the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard and the Ryzen High Performance power plan. The following is the read out from RM:

oj6oB98.png

That all core boost for cb20 is higher than most and temp is fine for default voltage so that's something, most get 3899mhz all core, assuming you have that on default and not PBO/OC in RM.

Is your LLC high enough if you failing the diagnostics?, you could just skip straight to the tune test with some modest parameters, try 1325v and 4200mhz and hit Start, don't worry about the 4200 being high, it will keep testing decreasing the speed until it finds a stable OC and you can't do it any harm, least this way you can establish that your chip can do higher frequencies, might just be more juicy than most.

Soldato
As part of my crashing issues I had actually disabled the PBO in the BIOS so I assume it's still disabled now, looking in RM it's just set to Default and not in PBO mode.

I struggled to find the LLC section in my BIOS as it is in basic mode, it goes up to 10 I think so set it to required value of 3. When i ran the tuning test it was able to get to around test #4 or test #5 before it decided to reduce the clock. I may have a play around with it this evening to see if I can get it a bit more stable.

Thanks for your input so far, it's really appreciated.

Associate
As part of my crashing issues I had actually disabled the PBO in the BIOS so I assume it's still disabled now, looking in RM it's just set to Default and not in PBO mode.

I struggled to find the LLC section in my BIOS as it is in basic mode, it goes up to 10 I think so set it to required value of 3. When i ran the tuning test it was able to get to around test #4 or test #5 before it decided to reduce the clock. I may have a play around with it this evening to see if I can get it a bit more stable.

Thanks for your input so far, it's really appreciated.

Yea just let it run and do its thing and see what it comes up with, probably still be better than stock temps/speed. Have you turned off spread spectrum in bios? make sure that is off, that gave me stability issues when I had a b450 board, always had it off since.

Soldato
Tried the new version and it crashed twice, i was stable at 4.4 all core at 1.3V on Beta vesion.

Same, oddly when putting the LLC back to auto (was turbo) I did get a complete run despite the error messages about suggesting to increase voltage compensation.

Did you have Enhance accuracy on too? Try with it off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom