Sudden appearance of ads on OCUK site ??? **UPDATE: There will be no adverts**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
you know i'm so used to ignoring ads i didn't mind having them there - especially if they are actually interesting & relevant products - you know: hovis; portable sun inc; stand and bang keyboards; and of course the poop-a-post letterbox aim improver

TBH I don't know why people get all hot and bothered by the odd ad as long as it isn't plastered over content, etc. a single banner ad is nothing really.

When it bothers me enough to reach for the ad blocker is where sites are injecting so many of them you can't see content for the noise, half the time trying to get to what you want is interfered with by ads and it has a significant performance impact, etc.

Or are people really that begrudging someone else is making a fraction of a pence from them?

Soldato
TBH I don't know why people get all hot and bothered by the odd ad as long as it isn't plastered over content, etc. a single banner ad is nothing really.

When it bothers me enough to reach for the ad blocker is where sites are injecting so many of them you can't see content for the noise, half the time trying to get to what you want is interfered with by ads and it has a significant performance impact, etc.

Or are people really that begrudging someone else is making a fraction of a pence from them?
Yeah, I only noticed them on mobile for a day or so and, whilst i was surprised to see them, it wasn't a big deal.

The worst website I use is Whatculture (for wrestling content). On mobile, the adverts are so intrusive and heavy that it burns through so much of my limited data contract that I can only use on wifi. And some of the video adverts play music despite being muted by default.

Soldato

On mobile in particular they were bad.

On desktop less so, and besides most people on desktop would be blocking them anyway.

Man of Honour
And some of the video adverts play music despite being muted by default.

Yeah hate this - immediately ad block in play on sites that do that and/or I simply don't use that site or company, etc. if possible - it is incredibly rude and inconsiderate.

On mobile in particular they were bad.

I guess people use different mobile settings for me (I know some seem to struggle without an app formatting it for mobile, etc.) - I have it scaled more like desktop on mobile - it was only slightly more intrusive than on desktop for me and quickly scrolled away from.

Soldato

For me it's the fact that it has shown what the management at OCUK truly think of these forums. They obviously view it as a liability that should now start earning money and not that
its an asset that should be protected. I bet if you asked any other online retailer they would kill for such a community as they know the benefits it brings, where as it would seem management here are now starting to take it for granted.

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad it's been sorted out. One ad might have appeared fine, but once you introduce one you then get ad creep where it then becomes top and bottom, then some within the middle of the threads, then key words become ads, then the sides become adverts, then we're on to popups, followed by full size animations. Eventually it becomes just like every local news website where there's more rubbish posted by outbrain than actual content and it's pointless existing.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I think there's some context missing. What actually happened here?
Did the "powers that be" actually try and implement an awful set of adverts to try a recoup pittance for hosting, rather than it being a mess up with the new hosting?
This is what I'd like to know.

Man of Honour
uDxLBu1.jpg
Yeah it's an oldie but a goodie.

Did the "powers that be" actually try and implement an awful set of adverts to try a recoup pittance for hosting, rather than it being a mess up with the new hosting?
This is what I'd like to know.

The posts from the moderating team in this thread should tell you all you need to know.

Associate
Don't know why the store don't just put a deal of the day banner across the top and be done with it, little bit of self advertising would easily offset some costs and I suspect most users wouldn't be too offended. Big difference between that and targeted 3rd party adds.

Permabanned
Amazing news.

I would also just like to say a special thanks to @fiveub for his help in avoiding what would have been the end of these great forums and community.

You're welcome guys. :)

What did you do Steven? Come on tell us.... :)

You told them you would quit Noble didn't you? You did didn't you. oh you big little tinker you.. :D :D :D

Commissario
Don't know why the store don't just put a deal of the day banner across the top and be done with it, little bit of self advertising would easily offset some costs and I suspect most users wouldn't be too offended. Big difference between that and targeted 3rd party adds.
Don't be surprised if the old Noble banner comes back - We don't really consider that an advert.

Soldato

Devils advocate here for a minute.

The forum seems to be linked to the main site as evidenced by the 3080 launch, and the fact that both the forum and the site were being hammered when the launch was going on.

The ads then appeared shortly after, presumably as the OCUK management may have considered that the forum was taking bandwidth/effort away from the main site, and it wasn't earning anything directly to help pay for that.

This then lead to the scenario we were in with the ads being added/removed a couple of times.

Glad to see that common sense did prevail though thanks to the hard work of the mods/dons and the saviour of the forums @fiveub (you can send PM for address for the chair to be sent to).

I've no problem with the old noble banner or whatever banner OCUK wanted to add to advertise their own store, although would be great if mobile view remained largely the same as it is due to smaller real estate to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom