What would you do?

Associate
Hi guys,

So, next week I have a second interview via teams. This is a competency-based interview. I know the hiring manager personally as I worked with him for 5 years and we are also friends on Facebook. I wouldn't say he is a friend as such, but an ex-colleague and more of an acquaintance. When I saw the job come up, I was aware he was the hiring manager so made contact with him for more information surrounding the role. From there I made an application which led to a telephone interview (which he conducted). We discussed the role, he asked a few questions and then we had a catch-up. Now, I have been invited to a second interview which will take place over teams with the hiring manager, his manager and a member of HR.

My question is, would it be seen as a big no-no to ask him in advance for a few pointers and to give me an idea of what questions to expect in the interview?

Thanks in advance,

T_IT

Soldato
I'd say there's no harm in asking him if he can offer some words of advice because he's worked for the company for some time. He might give you some useful info, he might not, but it's worth asking.

Permabanned
I wouldn't put him in that position. If you're the right person for the job you'll make it anyway. As much as they want you to be competent they want to see you're enthusiastic and reliable.

Soldato
I think it would come across as a bit disingenuous to ask what the questions are going to be. Best just prepare talking points about you, your achievements and work experience that can be tailored to fit around most of the standard questions that come up every time.

Soldato
If you've had a bit of back and forth communications then I wouldn't think twice about asking "what should I expect" as part of another thread- but if you've missed that chance it's a different ballgame to reach out specifically to ask...

If you ask like the above then its wide open for him to answer as he sees fit. He could give you an agenda, just an idea of how long it'll be, or he can send you the list of questions :p

Edit: I'd also view it like a meeting. No one wants to walk into a meeting unprepared so they might think it strange that you quite willingly do that to yourself without asking an agenda, who are the other attendees etc.

Soldato
Hi guys,

So, next week I have a second interview via teams. This is a competency-based interview. I know the hiring manager personally as I worked with him for 5 years and we are also friends on Facebook. I wouldn't say he is a friend as such, but an ex-colleague and more of an acquaintance. When I saw the job come up, I was aware he was the hiring manager so made contact with him for more information surrounding the role. From there I made an application which led to a telephone interview (which he conducted). We discussed the role, he asked a few questions and then we had a catch-up. Now, I have been invited to a second interview which will take place over teams with the hiring manager, his manager and a member of HR.

My question is, would it be seen as a big no-no to ask him in advance for a few pointers and to give me an idea of what questions to expect in the interview?

Thanks in advance,

T_IT

NO

you are basically putting your "friend" in an untenable position. The whole purpose of an interview process is for it to be fair and neutral to allow the best candidate for the role to be selected. You friend, if found out could be accused of nepotism and it might impact his own job. Just grow some balls and have faith in your ability to make a good impression at the interview

Man of Honour
As above, don't do anything to risk your friends position. But it would be acceptable to ask questions of him like...

"What is the culture like there?"
"What problems do they have which they are trying to fix?"
"What type of person do they usually like or dislike?"
etc

This is simply fact-finding and I always do the same when interviewing for a new job (online searches, etc).

Soldato
I personally wouldn't ask specifics about the interview, but Hades covers it well.

Sure, reach out and say hi, how is the company etc but anything out side of that I wouldn't. You even said it yourself its an acquaintance and not a friend. There is a chance he hasn't told HR, at my place I would be expected to inform people / I wouldn't do the interview to avoid any bias.

Do you even really need some pointers? It's second interview so you probably know the following:

- Strength based / Competency based interview questions - e.g. Can you think of a time you had to do this, what did you find hard and how did you convince others.
- Brush up on your technical knowledge (depending on the field)
- Find out the company values, align your examples to some of them, just go well prepped

Caporegime
I know the hiring manager personally as I worked with him for 5 years and we are also friends on Facebook. I wouldn't say he is a friend as such, but an ex-colleague and more of an acquaintance.

I don't think it is necessarily an issue to ask about general pointers (so long as they are general and you're not coming across as wanting specific questions etc.. or blatant unfair advantage).

Having some details of the process, overview of what is required is a good thing. In some companies they are quite pro-active in giving you this stuff in advance. For example when a friend of mine applied to a big consultancy firm he'd got no business studies/MBA experience so for a later round they offered him assistance in preparing for it via some one on one sessions with an existing employee. The MBA types who go for these roles are already quite familiar with the case study type interviews etc.. have info from alumni etc.. whereas a technical hire who still has to pass that sort of stage might have no experience of it and you're guaranteed to fail if you were to try and wing it.

So if you're looking for general info about the role, process etc.. then that's a valid, straight up question to ask acquaintance or not... even if you didn't know him then it's a valid broad question in an e-mail to HR or whomever is coordinating with you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absoultey ask for some pointers/general advice. You'll be up against people who are willing to lie on their CV and in the interview. Anything reasonable that you can do to help wade through the minefield must be undertaken.

Back
Top Bottom