When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Correct. Although I’ll be honest I did Google SR+ and didn't realise the pack was only 50kW.

10A will pull more like 2.3 kW aswell.

So you didn't know the size of the SR+ battery? No wonder it literally made no sense, to you.

GgCnDAO.png

Obviously something awry with the kw used on the second charge there, but yeah, unless your commute is >70 odd miles then 3-pin will be fine.

Soldato
Not really, you were suggesting the battery net capacity was 38kWh. It made no sense, not literally no sense.

Googling just meant i adjusted my view of the data to way a wide of the market guesstimate rather than halfing the battery size! Clearly it does charge faster than 2kW :p

impressive efficiency @ 220Wh/mile

EDIT: seems SR+ is 54kWh now? Joy of no model years I guess :D

Soldato
Not really, you were suggesting the battery net capacity was 38kWh. It made no sense, not literally no sense.

Googling just meant i adjusted my view of the data to way a wide of the market guesstimate rather than halfing the battery size! Clearly it does charge faster than 2kW :p

Yes, @Minstadave won’t be getting anywhere near that in the iPACE.

M3 SR+ - 245 miles from 54kW = 4.5 miles per kW
IPace - 290 miles from 90kW = 3.2 miles per kW

so if we gets 8 hours charge at 2.4kw that’s 61 miles of range. And that’s WLTP. Not cold, wet British winter. So probably 35-50 miles depending on the actual ambient temperature. But even so, still enough that he could just charge once per week on a 7kW and still be fine. A lot of this range stuff is just nonsensical.

Caporegime
Yes, @Minstadave won’t be getting anywhere near that in the iPACE.

M3 SR+ - 245 miles from 54kW = 4.5 miles per kW
IPace - 290 miles from 90kW = 3.2 miles per kW

so if we gets 8 hours charge at 2.4kw that’s 61 miles of range. And that’s WLTP. Not cold, wet British winter. So probably 35-50 miles depending on the actual ambient temperature. But even so, still enough that he could just charge once per week on a 7kW and still be fine. A lot of this range stuff is just nonsensical.

Even granny charging is no issue for me, I do about 40 miles a day and had no problem staying topped up with 8 hours overnight trying to catch my economy 7 time.

The podpoint charger is up and working well. No scheduled charging though, which is pretty disappointing to be honest for a supposedly smart charger. The only thing the WiFi connection achieves is sending charging session data to the phone app.

Fortunately some kind soul has made his own Android app for the Ipace which has far more functionality than the Jag one, including proper scheduled charging.

Soldato
If you’ve got 3-phase power then put in 22kW AC chargers as they’ll charge most cars much faster than the 7kW chargers. I think the Tesla M3 maxes out at 11kW with new S and X able to charge at the full 22kW. Some other cars have 22kW AC charging built in (Renault Zoe I think). Some Vauxhall’s/Peugeot’s have 11kW charging as an option and the Kia/Hyundai cars also have 10.5kW chargers now. They’re literally 50% faster in most cases and with a Recent Model s or Model X they’re twice as fast. At an office where you might want to rotate cars that could be important and they’re usually not a lot more expensive.
I have electricians on payroll which reduces the cost for us but even still the 22kW is hard to justify. The EQC doesn’t support them so yes it’ll greatly reduce my charge time it’s in excess of double the cost and would need to run additional cables. We already have single phase 32A where we need it. We’ll just alternate days

Soldato

EDIT: seems SR+ is 54kWh now? Joy of no model years I guess :D

I said it would go from 20-65% when parked at the office all day. How does that literally no sense; I was 6% off the real-world figure.

You don't even own an EV?!

Soldato
I have electricians on payroll which reduces the cost for us but even still the 22kW is hard to justify. The EQC doesn’t support them so yes it’ll greatly reduce my charge time it’s in excess of double the cost and would need to run additional cables. We already have single phase 32A where we need it. We’ll just alternate days

Which one are you buying where it's double the price? Tesla, Wall Pod, Basic Charge are all about the same price as the single phase units. The Polar one is double the price but it only comes as a double socket floor-mounted device which justifies the cost a bit. When I got the M3 I looked very deeply into getting 3-phase charging as a little side-line and it shouldn't be massively more expensive to install a 3-phase than a single phase.

[Edit]Just looked up the EQC and incredibly it's limited to 7.4kW AC charging speed. That's quite a big downside to me. Not that it would be on my shopping list - lovely car, but not for me. If you're not doing above the national average mileage it's likely irrelevant really but once you get out and about it's incredible what a difference the free fast chargers make.[/Edit]

Last edited:
Soldato
Were you hoping for more than 7.4 kW at home then? Or this is a work site installation?

Maybe look at something like the BP Chargemaster 32kW DC chargers instead, bypass the limitation of the onboard AC charger if you can supply the car with DC.

Soldato
@Jonnycoupe - I have 3-phase at home. It cost £2800+VAT to bring it on site from the street about 8m away. It's a bit of a waste as my 22kW chargers only charge at 11kW but I have the capability if I ever do get a Model X or a 22kW charging car like a Zoe or E-Tron. Plus it will cover me against a new boiler when they ban gas boilers sometime after 2025. And if/when I get solar tiles it will be useful there as well. I do completely accept that 7.4kW at home is plenty. At work I would definitely spend the extra and get the 22kW as its something you could offer customers and visitors as well as use yourself.

What I didn't do was knock down a brick wall and open up part of my garden for 4 parking spaces with billable 22kW charging. And don't even think about DC chargers unless you're seriously needing to turn cars round fast. The quote I got was in excess of £50K for a twin-point 50kW charging unit. I'm prone to daft business schemes that that was WAY too much of a punt even for me.

Soldato
Which one are you buying where it's double the price? Tesla, Wall Pod, Basic Charge are all about the same price as the single phase units. The Polar one is double the price but it only comes as a double socket floor-mounted device which justifies the cost a bit. When I got the M3 I looked very deeply into getting 3-phase charging as a little side-line and it shouldn't be massively more expensive to install a 3-phase than a single phase.

[Edit]Just looked up the EQC and incredibly it's limited to 7.4kW AC charging speed. That's quite a big downside to me. Not that it would be on my shopping list - lovely car, but not for me. If you're not doing above the national average mileage it's likely irrelevant really but once you get out and about it's incredible what a difference the free fast chargers make.[/Edit]
Something that doesn’t require an Earth rod really :) ProjectEV or something similar is the unit I’m about to order.

Soldato
I went with PodPoint. They don’t have schedule charging on their app but the PS2 has that feature coming early 2021.

Soldato
I went with PodPoint. They don’t have schedule charging on their app but the PS2 has that feature coming early 2021.
Struggling to find the one i like the look of, the EVbox looks reasonable so just gone requested a quote.

The Andersen is great to look at, and the app has scheduled charging, but of course it's a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom