Talk to me about VWs

Soldato
OP
But the same money can get you into newer stuff, on a newer chassis platform (MQB vs PQ35 here) and (in the case of that Leon I linked above) possibly even newer tech like Android Auto, Apple Car Play etc. Parking sensors and sat nav isn't something to get excited about on a 10k car.

You say that but I have none of the above. I don't particularly care for them either but CC is definitely something I'm looking for now, with the motorway miles I'm doing atm.

The seat is definitely a contender, found a nice one that got me thinking.

Soldato
How I'll always remember sciroccos.

20577600012-large.jpg

Man of Honour
But the same money can get you into newer stuff, on a newer chassis platform (MQB vs PQ35 here) and (in the case of that Leon I linked above) possibly even newer tech like Android Auto, Apple Car Play etc. Parking sensors and sat nav isn't something to get excited about on a 10k car.

Was just an example features wise as it isn't uncommon on other makes/models of around the era the Scirocco platform comes from to be lacking in those kind of features until their next generation.

Agreed on the rest of the point though.

Man of Honour
Was just an example features wise as it isn't uncommon on other makes/models of around the era the Scirocco platform comes from to be lacking in those kind of features until their next generation

I don't think this is true at all personally. Some VW cars have satnav, some don't. Just like some Seats do and some don't.

The only notable thing VW have been very good at including as standard is radar cruise.

Man of Honour
I don't think this is true at all personally. Some VW cars have satnav, some don't. Just like some Seats do and some don't.

The only notable thing VW have been very good at including as standard is radar cruise.

I don't really have broad enough experience to compare tier to tier through the whole product range - but from my experience at the kind of tiers I have experience of it tends to be true at least.

Soldato
I had a 2016 VW Scirocco R DSG until I got rid of it last year.

Great looking car and it was fun to drive, especially that 'suck you in to the seat' feeling when you put the foot down.

However it just lacked some of the niceties of the Golf such as a rear view camera and electric folding door mirrors.

The main issue I had was the poor visibility, due to the small rear window and the oversized rear pillars.

I must admit though I would be tempted if they released a new version.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I don't really have broad enough experience to compare tier to tier through the whole product range - but from my experience at the kind of tiers I have experience of it tends to be true at least.

Really not sure that VW generally come ahead of the pack when it comes to general equipment found in used models? Virtually every car which i have bought, including a Mercedes from 1999, has had parking sensors and satnav :p

Soldato
Was just an example features wise as it isn't uncommon on other makes/models of around the era the Scirocco platform comes from to be lacking in those kind of features until their next generation.

Agreed on the rest of the point though.

The problem the Scirocco has is that you can buy cars from the next generation for the same money, so it ends up outgunned on features £ for £ because you're paying a (very big imo) premium for the styling of the car. You can get into a Mk7 GTD for example if you want to stay in the VW stable - newer platform, newer tech, newer interior design etc.

Man of Honour
Really not sure that VW generally come ahead of the pack when it comes to general equipment found in used models? Virtually every car which i have bought, including a Mercedes from 1999, has had parking sensors and satnav :p

Wasn't so much head of the pack so much - but that they tended to have a good set of features which are now common on modern cars, when many of the alternatives were missing them - at least in the segment I have experience of - Mercedes is really in a different segment as well :p

There were cars with a much better feature set for the same era but that is another matter again.

Man of Honour
What would you recommend? 2.0, 2.7 or 3.0?
3.0 is kinda tempting but 2.0 makes more sense.

What is the tax like on the 3.0?

I like my 3L V6s but the tax tends to be a big jump up.

Otherwise I'd say 3.0 every day as the refinement and power delivery tends to be so nice over a regular 4 cylinder.

Soldato
OP
What is the tax like on the 3.0?

I like my 3L V6s but the tax tends to be a big jump up.

Otherwise I'd say 3.0 every day as the refinement and power delivery tends to be so nice over a regular 4 cylinder.

£240 but defeats the point of me wanting something more economical. My TTS in comparison is £290, I was looking for something sub £100 in road tax so I guess it doesn't work for me.

I'm selling up next year and moving in with a family member to save some extra cash so I can move to my partners in the next 12 months, as I'll need a sizable deposit, Every little helps.

Man of Honour
£240 but defeats the point of me wanting something more economical. My TTS in comparison is £290, I was looking for something sub £100 in road tax so I guess it doesn't work for me.

I'm selling up next year and moving in with a family member to save some extra cash so I can move to my partners in the next 12 months, as I'll need a sizable deposit, Every little helps.

Yeah just had a look - only the 3.2 is a big jump - I was expecting the 3.0 to be higher than the 2.0 and was expecting something closer to £500.

Back
Top Bottom