Using the word "retrain" in a CV and/or cover letter...?

Consigliere
So I am in a tricky situation where my previous role put me into a senior position in a very niché area so I have no choice but to retrain and redevelop.

Is it okay to use 'retrain' or does it sound a bit...old? I am using redevelop currently but I want it to be clear I am backing myself to take a step down to learn again and well, start again.

Caporegime
To me it depends on how much of a step backwards and how much of a divergence it is from your previous trajectory.

If for example you had been a network engineer, then a senior, then a manager and now you fancy moving into IT security, I'd perhaps call it changing direction or focusing on a new area of expertise, as the underlying IT fundamentals would be the same.

Caporegime
If you're looking for a career change then just say you're looking for a career change in the cover letter tbh... (could mention, briefly, on the CV in some opening statement). It would probably be implied anyway by the role you're applying for relative to your last role. I think the more important thing is just demonstrating some interest in the new field, for example via a relevant github/open source contributions, training courses, further study, whatever...

Perhaps, instead of just telling people you're willing to be retrained it could be better to demonstrate that you've started to retrain yourself in your spare time and let that speak for itself.

Man of Honour
I personally wouldn't be put off any of the words mentioned here - change of direction, retraining, reskilling - they're all good. Being open and honest about your current career and the corner you've ended up in isn't a bad thing.

Consigliere
OP
Okay great thanks.

Looking at a new sector plus new role so almost afresh but coming with life experience/transferable proven skills. (hate the word skills but you get what i mean!).

Caporegime
If the rest of your CV/covering letter warranted a chat then as Burnsy said, these are all good words and wouldn't count against you if I were interviewing you.

You can bet that I'd be asking you questions on it specifically though so be prepared to talk about it, and well!

Back
Top Bottom