When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Ohhhh, you've got to own one to understand one?

Not at all. But he's pitching into a topic, saying what I've said makes literally no sense at all (despite it being entirely accurate, bar 6%), it makes me question why someone is trying or bothering to come across an expert when they're not even vested. Maybe he's planning to order one, I don't know/care.

Soldato
You can also use ev.energy to schedule charging based on price with any charger, car and tariff (I believe).
Scheduled charging isn’t a feature I think I need anyway. I have no plans to switch to a cheaper overnight electricity rate, as the saving is about £1.30, which is probably offset by the more expensive day rate.

Caporegime
the recent octopus maxxed out rates are a bit off putting though, 35p during peak, you'd need an overnight powerwall.

Thats Agile not Go that has those peaks. Go is a more standard day/night tariff.

I just changed to Octopus and their quote for Go is 13.45p in the day and 5p for the 4hrs overnight.

Agile only makes sense if you can either minimise usage during that evening peak or put in battery storage.

Soldato
I just changed to Octopus and their quote for Go is 13.45p in the day and 5p for the 4hrs overnight..
13p down to 5p is quite significant when that is likely to double your household usage
I just looked this up and the savings over other tariffs are pretty good. 4 hours is about 40% charge if you get the max 7 kW throughput and scheduled charging is essential if you want to make the most it.

I’m currently with Ovo on a flat 12.5p with a standing charge of 22.2p per day. This expires in March so I will review the options then. Thanks for the info :)

Soldato
As an overall package we didn’t see Octopus Go as much cheaper than our existing combined Gas/Electric tariff because their gas tariffs are not fabulous and we have a working from home business tariff so we can keep the place adequately lit through the working day. With Octopus you do get the £50 credit for signing up (there are thousands of folks on-line who will share their Octopus code with you) and I suppose if you could get enough friends to sign up you could save quite a bit over the year. And currently the savings with electric cars over ICE cars are so great that it has dramatically cut our monthly fuel bills anyway. I was spending £87/week on diesel and now I spend £14.60 on average but it has been as low as £0.00/week if I’m working in a county with a lot of free chargers.

Caporegime
Kia e-Niro 4+. Ordered the tethered as well, was just interested :)

Nice one. I didn't know but Podpoint chargers are pretty stupid, even with WiFi connectivity they have almost zero smart functionality. No scheduled charging ability at all.

I've figured out how to do it in car so it's not a big issue.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Really I thought they were supposed to be good? That’s a big miss if can’t time :confused:

It can't do anything. The only thing the Podpoint does, apart from charging, is to upload the charging session start and finish time and how much power was delivered to the app. It doesn't even show a breakdown of charging over the charge period.

Calling it a smart charger is a joke.

Associate
Nice one. I didn't know but Podpoint chargers are pretty stupid, even with WiFi connectivity they have almost zero smart functionality. No scheduled charging ability at all.

I've figured out how to do it in car so it's not a big issue.

Yeah I'm getting concerned about that as well - will definitely be having a play when the car gets here.

Look at ev.energy if you need to schedule. I don't use it but I know others do.

I took a look at that but couldn't figure out if it works with Pod Point or only works with either Telsa or Rolec power points :confused:

Soldato
some more uk id3 pricing, from £30K
https://www.id3forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=240
as commented there's no announcement on the smallest battery one, also can't see which have heat pumps.
so, VW can provide their 'own' insurance too.

(vw web-site itself is junk no ?, with ublockO is see virtually nothing)

To see the reviews on YouTube you have to say VW have done an incredible job of rehabilitating themselves after they poisoned people and gassed several primates to death trying to prove they didn't and yet now they're the eco-Messiah if you believe the reviews. EVERY single review I've seen has had some electronics issues though. Given that they delayed the launch by something like 9 months to correct the electronics issues you have to wonder what they were like out of the factory. And if you're an early customer - do be aware that VW had most of the launch cars built and 'ready' in March and they sat in storage until they supposedly debugged the software.

Back
Top Bottom