******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
A quick question.
Couldn’t help but notice the prices for the ships.
Now the cheap ones are more than the price of a DCS aircraft such as the F18.
The F18 is in early access but includes highly accurate flight model, damage model, systems modelling, carrier capabilities, targeting pod and the ability to use something like 20 different weapon systems.

Are the basic ships in SC anything like that complex?

You can compare it more with ArmA 3 I'd say, although it aims to be a bit more complex than that in the future. It remains to be seen.

I don't think it will go all the way to DCS complexity (it will be a nightmare for bigger ships), but rather will hover around ArmA type of gameplay which should be totally fine. Freelancer or NMS would be way,way too simple and get boring fast.

Soldato
Definitely growing on me. I'm going to try and put in a lot of hours over the next week to get the basics down. Found a few good YouTube videos that should save a huge about of messing around.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You can compare it more with ArmA 3 I'd say, although it aims to be a bit more complex than that in the future. It remains to be seen.

I don't think it will go all the way to DCS complexity (it will be a nightmare for bigger ships), but rather will hover around ArmA type of gameplay which should be totally fine. Freelancer or NMS would be way,way too simple and get boring fast.

From what I saw, seemed quite similar in control complexity to Elite.

Soldato
Grabbed this during the 2-week free period last month and have been playing a good chunk of it with mates since then.

I'd previously been very anti-Star Citizen what with the huge amount of incoming money and dev time, yet very little to show beyond a tech demo. The free period gave me a chance to see what was in place and it's now starting to feel like the barebones of a game. In my opinion, it has hit a point where it is worthy of spending some money to play it and I have good confidence that the game will be finished to some extent one day. With this in mind, I've grabbed a base Aurora MR pack and have probably played in excess of 30 hours in the past month both solo and with friends. I think that even if the game is never released in full I'll get enough enjoyment out of it during the beta to make me not regret what I've spent.

The flight mechanics are detailed enough to hold my interest, the graphical fidelity is fantastic (ignoring performance here), and there's an acceptable range of content to go and try out. From playing with mates I've seen that this game absolutely has massive potential for just pratting about in a spaceship together, let alone some of the more in-depth gameplay that's planned such as ship boarding and large scale assaults. Had some epic moments like rescuing a friend who fell out of a spaceship in the gravity well of a planet (but in atmosphere) by having to dive down after him and catch him in the cargo bay of a Carrack whilst it was free, that's a game moment I won't be forgetting in some time :D Caught up with just a KM or so to ground level!

Currently trying to grind up the in-game currency to buy a variant of the Vanguard. Making the most of the fact that I've got the free-Freelancer to get combat kills in, whilst not a proper gunship it's leaps and bounds ahead of the Aurora MR! I've flown a mate's Vanguard Harbinger and am definitely looking forward to spending more time in either than or the Sentinel variant. Suspect if I carry on enjoying the game I'll update my base pack so I can start the game properly after the inevitable progress reset in something better than the Aurora, even if it's just an Avenger Titan or similar.

Soldato
The Avenger Titan probably the best starter ship in my opinion; decent chunk of cargo space, a bed for inspace logging out and ok weapon/component setup - I also really like how it looks. I should log in to 3.11 as I ahven't played it since 3.10!

Soldato
THis time next year u will see the game even more polished with most of the major pillars of the tech done at least as tier 1/first pass on it.

I mean stuff like icache, server meshing and long term persistantce v1.

Once those are done, we will then see quanta system go online it its first iteration(dynamic npc's and econmy to begin with) and that will help bring the universe to life.

v1 of server meshing is static mean a specific place in the verse will be its own server instance. v2 or final end goal is dynamic server mesh where if for example there is no players or activity happening in stanton system, that whole star system gets rendered into one server instance, but as soon as say 1000 people come and land in microtech, microtect will then be spun on its own server instance. YOu move through servers without realising it. meshing it all together.

i think icache will just be icache done and tweaked/big fixing as its simple 1 pass iteration of it.

Quanta's end goal(i suspect 2022-2023) is dynamic missions. MIssions will be generated depending on whats happening in the verse.

once all the major pillars are done and also the planet and system tech/tools are done. new star systems and gamelay loops will start to come out in a much faster pace.

Associate
I haven't played for a while but when I go on to "persistent universe" I can only get in to my hangars. When there I have no ship. how come and why can't I get on to the PU? thanks.

Soldato
Does it say 'Stanton System' or 'Hangars' in the location selection dropdown?

The very unintuitive hangars require you to interact (L click) with little blue lights on the floor to select which ship you want to look at.

Soldato
whaaat?! how's it gone down, i thought w/ the amount of stuff cramming into it over the past year or so since i tried it would be double the size at least?
well maybe not exactly 30gb. maybe 40-45? its nowhere near 100gb mate.

the games awsome and it streams data from the server. All the assets are not in your game folder mate. Just the basics and maybe textures and stuff but u get streamed the data.

Thats how persistened generated games work.

Look how huge no mans sky is yet that is not 500gb game mate.

Soldato
hmm... i was under the impression it was just going to get stupid big. i'm tempted to hunt out the proper size and see if it's a doable download now, but given the best i can usually hope for is about a gig an hour download speeds it might already be out of my reach. doesn't bode well for me playing the game at a decent framerate either but i'll worry about that if i ever get the thing downloaded.

Soldato
hmm... i was under the impression it was just going to get stupid big. i'm tempted to hunt out the proper size and see if it's a doable download now, but given the best i can usually hope for is about a gig an hour download speeds it might already be out of my reach. doesn't bode well for me playing the game at a decent framerate either but i'll worry about that if i ever get the thing downloaded.
How do you manage to download other pc games?

Soldato
Just had a look on the recruitment thread. Seems everyone is anti piracy. Could be tricky if there are no pirates ;) I can see there being tears when it turns into Eve 2.0. I get the feeling there are a lot of people just wanting a space sim and are not prepared for the PvP aspect.

Back
Top Bottom