Google Pixel 5

Soldato
So I'm taking a bit of time getting used to the size difference between this and the 4XL but it's such a manageable one handed size for me, I absolutely love this thing.

I don't really think it necessarily feels cheap, I like the feel of the phone in hand and the screen is superb.

Will be interested to see how good the battery life is over the coming days. Early performance wise it's absolutely smooth and flying through things. Very impressed with it.

Also Bose QC claim submitted, should hear back in 2 days about that to confirm if successful or not.

Associate
Feeling regret again. Reviews pretty much draw attention to the things I was concerned about and feel suckered in by the headphone offer.... It'll be an upgrade in some ways over my Pixel 2xl but likely a downgrade in speaker quality, which is annoying as I watch youtube on my phone.
Once I sell the headphones I think it's a decent price for the phone but an unnecessary purchase over just riding out the 2xl for another year.

Phone arrives tomorrow.

Soldato
Feeling regret again. Reviews pretty much draw attention to the things I was concerned about and feel suckered in by the headphone offer.... It'll be an upgrade in some ways over my Pixel 2xl but likely a downgrade in speaker quality, which is annoying as I watch youtube on my phone.
Once I sell the headphones I think it's a decent price for the phone but an unnecessary purchase over just riding out the 2xl for another year.

Phone arrives tomorrow.

Trust me you will love it over a pixel2xl

Just wait. I was playing Pokemon go on a 2xl with my kid today man that screen is terrible. That alone will bring a smile. Your whites will be white not yellow

If I can see an upgrade over a 4 you will over a 2

Man of Honour
Agreed. Over my Pixel2XL it's already a breath of fresh air. And the wide angle lens is already bringing value. The battery seems amazing. I haven't charged it since 4pm and I have been using it a lot and I'm on 80% 5hrs later. With a screen time of 2hrs.

Associate
Trust me you will love it over a pixel2xl

Just wait. I was playing Pokemon go on a 2xl with my kid today man that screen is terrible. That alone will bring a smile. Your whites will be white not yellow

If I can see an upgrade over a 4 you will over a 2

The whites on my 2xl are white. Always thought it was a good screen. Maybe there was a bad batch.

Associate
Praying to God that these/mine aren't plagued with crappy screen tints of pink/green.

Gave up with the Pixel 3 and 4 because of that.

Uniformity is something i'm really picky about!

The whites on my 2xl are white. Always thought it was a good screen. Maybe there was a bad batch.
Indeed.

I'm finding an issue with the way I hold the phone. I rest my little pinky under the phone right where the charging port is. On the 2xl this was smooth and even cut out both sides of the phone. On the 5 the cut out at the front of the phone is slightly higher than the cut out at the back. Results in the phone pushing more against my pinky at the front and starting to really rub.

Silly problem I know but it's frustrating as it starts to become more noticeable the more you use the phone

Soldato
Dead to me.....

Ha ha it's whatever works. I have iphones x for work. I like apple for certain things.

Haha!

I'm now getting ripped by my fiancé as I have always had a bit of a dislike towards Apple, and a linking towards Google.

She's assuming I'm going to buy a Mac next... and honestly I see the appeal after the disastrous Windows releases over the past few years.

Soldato
Definitely looking forward to the battery life coming from my P2.

I watch a lot of youtube on my phone too but if I'm watching youtube on my phone then I'm not particularly fussed about superb sound quality.

Annoyed I cocked up the delivery today but look forward to collecting it tomorrow

Speakers get a 4/10 from me. I have been setting up my apps so had both phones in my hand and noticed mkbhd had his review finally out and started watching it, and after a few minutes realised I was stupidly watching the video on my 2xl and should be using my 5. So swapped and continued where I was and wow is that speaker shockingly poor. Very very flat. Clearly not front facing and clearly only really coming from one side of the phone.

Soldato
I've had several Google phones, Nexus 5, Pixel 2XL and Pixel 4XL. Pixel 5 arrived today.

Hmmmmmm.

It's smaller, as expected. It's lighter, and felt cheap initially but I've got used to it I think. It's quick / responsive / very easy to use. Screen is great. Synced up and ready to go within minutes. Battery life is already an improvement over the 4XL. Camera slightly improved over the 4XL also. So, pretty decent!

Then I made a phone call.
Then a few more to check I wasn't mad.

Probably be returning it. Sound quality in a phone call is dreadful. Tinny, lacking depth, like the person your talking to is at the end of a normal phone, with a loo roll between them and their mic. People I spoke to said the same about the quality coming through the 5.
So I thought I maybe had a bad one? Partner had her Pixel 5 arrive today too - same crap sound quality on that.

*sighs*

Last edited:
Soldato
Well going from and to my pixel 2 with checking things have swapped over correctly, the pixel 2 already feels a bit strange screen wise.
Not tried calls or anything yet.
Saying that, im struggling to get used to the new gestures on the pixel 5. I liked the home and back button.
Looked into it and it seems gesture or the previous 3 button system?

Oh and blue mail, Instagram and a few other apps don't seem to want to work.

Associate
I've had several Google phones, Nexus 5, Pixel 2XL and Pixel 4XL. Pixel 5 arrived today.

Hmmmmmm.[/SNIPPED]
Then I made a phone call.
Then a few more to check I wasn't mad.

Probably be returning it. Sound quality in a phone call is dreadful. Tinny, lacking depth,
So I thought I maybe had a bad one? Partner had her Pixel 5 arrive today too - same crap sound quality on that.

*sighs*
Did you try using the speaker ? This is kinda surreal isn't it. All reviews etc about phones these days have benchmarks, remarks about gaming speed, RAM, chipset, storage capacity and camera quality but mostly nothing about actual call quality or experience of using a phone for it's original intended purpose.

Soldato
Did you try using the speaker ? This is kinda surreal isn't it. All reviews etc about phones these days have benchmarks, remarks about gaming speed, RAM, chipset, storage capacity and camera quality but mostly nothing about actual call quality or experience of using a phone for it's original intended purpose.

yeah the 'loud' speaker is better than the normal phone speaker by far - however I don't want to have to use that for every conversation just because the normal one is poor :(

It annoys me, just like you say, the focus on RAM and specs etc, but forgetting what the damn thing is meant to be for - some people still make calls :D

Back
Top Bottom