Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
So I've not done any running for a few years but I'm reasonably fit and do a lot of hiking etc.

I want to get some motivation to get fitter and have been interested in doing a fell running event for a while. I'm looking at booking myself into an event in early may next year.

Now, with 3 evening weekly training, realistically what would I be able to achieve in 6 months? I can't decide if I should book the 10k or go hard and go for the half marathon. What do you super experience guys think?

Soldato
Half marathon is certainly doable in 6 months with a decent amount of brought forward fitness and prior running experience.

realistically it won’t sell out so I’d go for a few runs over the next few weeks to get a baseline.

With hiking you’ll have experience with hills as well which is a bonus.

I suppose the main thing is whether you’d be happy if you had to walk a bit of the half. For me I’m not overly bothered if I want but I know some people are very against it and would rather do a shorter race to ensure they run it all.

Soldato
I know some (generally younger) people that have literally just rocked up to a 10k and run it with no training. For me it was quite hard, but with a reasonable level of fitness I didn't train specifically for it, I ran it without stopping and would be aiming for a half marathon if I had a healthy knee.

If you're reasonably fit, I would aim for the half at this point, but as said, get out and do a few 5k's and see how they go?

Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys.

Okay that sounds sensible, I'll get out tomorrow on a sighting run/walk and see what sort of level I'm at.

It is fell running so there is that slightly more difficult aspect I suppose, but I guess there's only one way to find out!

I know it's unlikely to sell out but I plan on booking as soon as possible and letting my friends and family know I'm doing it. The shame of backing out of something is a good motivator for me to keep on with training! It's worked in the past on cycling event anyway..

I'll let you know how I get on should I survive!

Associate
Does anyone have any recommendations for a running jacket? I'm looking for something lightweight for the autumn / winter months. For cold weather I'll just wear a merino longsleeve baselayer underneath the jacket.

I was looking at something like this https://www.runnerinn.com/running/gore--wear-r7-partial-goretex-infinium/137319182/p?tqw=M

Any thoughts/recommendations? I'm running 3 or 4 times a week in central London, usually along the river so I think I'm looking for something wind proof more than anything!

Soldato
I have to admit, I've become a bit of a Gore fanbois. I have their super thin, super light jacket and think it's fantastic. (R7 Shakedry). I have the cycling version too and take it out with me every ride at the moment. Again, it's so light and folds up to fit in my pocket. I'm considering getting an insulated version too.

Soldato
As part of the Ironman Virtual series, I ran my 2nd ever 'proper' marathon (ie not an ultra type run).

Super happy with a 3:22 (3:16 moving time as I stopped at home halfway to top up water/food)

Considering I rode 112 miles the day before, I've never felt so good at that distance. With 8-9 miles to go, I felt great so picked up the pace, then steadily kept increasing until the finish.

At about 2:20 was when I picked up the pace - as you can tell quite easily!

LXKuH4M.jpg

Now I just need to be able to do that straight after Saturday's ride! :eek:

Soldato
I've no idea myself tbh!
Makes me think what I could do if I ran a marathon as quick as I could. Not too easy when you're on your own as I can't carry enough water for that length run.
Really enjoying running at the moment, while I'm injury free! I'm sure it won't last :rolleyes:

Soldato
Hit another 5k PB today (25:58). Knocked 37 seconds off previous PB from 2 weeks ago.

It's not my usual consistent running pace for my PB time but I'm guessing it shouldn't be. I didn't go out today with the view to a fast run but kind of just went with it and ended up with a PB. Happy with that.

Any suggestions on what should be a good realistic target? I'd say a sub 25min 5K at a comfortable pace maybe? As in a pace that I'm comfortable running at for regular runs?

Soldato
Have done a couple of 3 mile runs through the woods this week to see how I get on, I actually managed to run them without stopping which I'm quite pleased about. 30:01 with 480ft climbing (plus descending!). Makes me fairly confident about a 10k next year, maybe even a HM, I'm going to keep at it and aim to increase my distance once my time drops to maybe 26 mins?

Associate
Any suggestions on what should be a good realistic target? I'd say a sub 25min 5K at a comfortable pace maybe? As in a pace that I'm comfortable running at for regular runs?
To give you an idea if that's realistic goal; my 5k PB time is 19:10 but what I'd consider my comfortable pace would be a 5k in 26 minutes. A more realistic target I think would be getting your 5k PB below 25 mins, or working up to a 10k under 1hr.

Have done a couple of 3 mile runs through the woods this week to see how I get on, I actually managed to run them without stopping which I'm quite pleased about. 30:01 with 480ft climbing (plus descending!). Makes me fairly confident about a 10k next year, maybe even a HM, I'm going to keep at it and aim to increase my distance once my time drops to maybe 26 mins?
That's great! It's a real mental boost when you don't have to stop to rest on your runs. You can definitely do a 10k, even a half marathon with a proper training plan. If you're increasing your distance be careful not to increase your weekly mileage by over 10% each week else you will risk injury. There are some great free training plans out there. I'd recommend these: https://benparkes.com/collections/free-beginner-plans

Soldato
To give you an idea if that's realistic goal; my 5k PB time is 19:10 but what I'd consider my comfortable pace would be a 5k in 26 minutes. A more realistic target I think would be getting your 5k PB below 25 mins, or working up to a 10k under 1hr.

I'm similar but with a much smaller time variance between comfortable and PB. My PB is around 24:12 and i'd say a comfortable pace is around 27-28.

I need to sort myself out, i remembered i have an Ultra in early Feb and recently i've been struggling on flat runs at 5 miles! I really need to get myself back into a proper mindset and build up mileage again. The last Ultra being cancelled seems to have completely thrown off my motivation.

Soldato
That's great! It's a real mental boost when you don't have to stop to rest on your runs. You can definitely do a 10k, even a half marathon with a proper training plan. If you're increasing your distance be careful not to increase your weekly mileage by over 10% each week else you will risk injury. There are some great free training plans out there. I'd recommend these: https://benparkes.com/collections/free-beginner-plans

Thanks for that, that plan looks really handy. :) For now I'm going to increase distance slowly while keeping my runs to twice a week, and then in Jan/Feb see where I am and ramp it up then with a proper plan like you linked.

Soldato
Still running 3 times a week (5k) but not training for anything or pushing any new PBs so guess things have gone stale.

Usual "not pushing it" pace settled between 27:30 and 28:30 now. Funnily enough did 4k today as was on a different route and just felt amazing and fastest time ever on it, in fact pretty sure I would have done my best 5k if I ran another km.

Funny ol' beast this running nonsense, I'm sure my mental game could improve a lot still.

Soldato
Funny ol' beast this running nonsense, I'm sure my mental game could improve a lot still.

I've been running around 4 years now and that's still a big hindrance for me!

On the plus side i did 7.5 miles yesterday. First time in as long as i can remember i've done over 5 miles! Also noticed it's the first time in about 2 months that i've hit 20 miles in a week. Slowly getting back to where i was!

Soldato
I still start most runs thinking I'll never finish them and next thing I know I run 5k without a hitch. Can't believe I run 10k when I do them either :D

This will take a while to change as running was never part of my life outside of sports a long time ago.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well its all on the line now :) Signed up for the Nottingham Outlaw.. This will be my first ever marathon distance, if your going to do it might as well tag a swim and bike in front of it :)

Back
Top Bottom