why all the hate for hs2?

Soldato
I'm not sure "interesting" is the right word when £billions are being peed away on a vanity project, and the entire country could be fibred up for a fraction of the cost.

Or sink it in to the planned space ports and create an actual new industry and perminent, skilled jobs :p

People don't want public transport in this country as it's way to expensive to use. Even outside of covid outbreaks I see buses driving around in the day with 3 people on them, holding up mile long lines of cars.

Soldato
Or sink it in to the planned space ports and create an actual new industry and perminent, skilled jobs :p

People don't want public transport in this country as it's way to expensive to use. Even outside of covid outbreaks I see buses driving around in the day with 3 people on them, holding up mile long lines of cars.

I think this sums it up very well, we are a car country. People tend to use public transport as a last option rather than a choice.

Also consider this HS2 is only covering a fraction of the country, there is is hardly any stops on it either. So most of the country even when its built will still be using older trains. The value for money seems madness.

As an alternative think how many social homes could be built for 100billion, and the benefit that would have.

Associate
I think this sums it up very well, we are a car country. People tend to use public transport as a last option rather than a choice.

Also consider this HS2 is only covering a fraction of the country, there is is hardly any stops on it either. So most of the country even when its built will still be using older trains. The value for money seems madness.

As an alternative think how many social homes could be built for 100billion, and the benefit that would have.

You could build 1.5 million council houses for that. I think that would be a much better thing to invest in

Caporegime
You could build 1.5 million council houses for that. I think that would be a much better thing to invest in
Not much point in Councils building housing with Right to Buy hanging over them. They have to sell the houses at a minimum 35% discount, after which they are ending up in the private rental market.

In fact over 40% of council houses are now in the private rental market.

What point in using public money getting councils to build houses, when all it does is allow the first occupant to make a massive profit selling them on to BTL landlords?

Pointless.

And the Tories think Right to Buys is one of their greatest achievements... Along with Help to Buy... the irony being both policies are really *bad* for the health of the housing market. But Tories gonna Tory.

Permabanned
My principle complaint with HS2 is that it has been undertaken during difficult times when salaries have been capped and people have been left wanting. It's a bit like our aircraft carriers. When they were started it was a great idea but the moment we hit a recession they should have been scrapped along with HS2.

Soldato
Not that I condone the ever rising costs but we do need to invest in non-fossil fuel mass transit systems if we want to meet our carbon emissions targets.

The west coast mainline is at capacity with freight and passenger services. No more trains can run on it. The main benefit of HS2 which is not being touted is that it alleviates some of that demand from the WCML. Therefore, more local passenger services and freight services will be able to run. This will remove some lorries and cars from our roads.

We probably should either just build the whole thing underground, or Hyperloop it as the costs will push this project to never finishing.

Associate
Isnt Hs2 still going to be using diesel trains? (i could be wrong)

if so, its absolute madness, we should have let the Japanese build us our version of the Maglev

Caporegime
Reports that the Leeds section of HS2 will be scrapped and save the project £40bn. So does the current £100bn budget include that cost saving? Because if it doesn't, that's approaching £150bn - almost 5 times its original budget. How is it we've ended up with a portion of the project being scrapped and that saving being larger than the original budget? This project has more plot twists than an M. Night* film.

Supposedly Leeds is the busiest station in the North (would have thought it was Manchester), so much for easing capacity eh....

Edit - *Shyamalan hehe.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reports that the Leeds section of HS2 will be scrapped and save the project £40bn. So does the current £100bn budget include that cost saving? Because if it doesn't, that's approaching £150bn - almost 5 times its original budget. How is it we've ended up with a portion of the project being scrapped and that saving being larger than the original budget? This project has more plot twists than an M. Night film.

Supposedly Leeds is the busiest station in the North (would have thought it was Manchester), so much for easing capacity eh....

Manchester probably sees more people travelling by train but it has 3 main stations.
Leeds just has the one so I guess its busier due to having more of a bottleneck

Back
Top Bottom