Audi Approved Used - Negotiating

Associate
I'm quite close to pulling the trigger on a great spec 18 plate S5 for £32k - finance in place, but still a little more self convincing to do. Recent life events have caused me to consider being a bit less conservative and enjoy life more.

Has anybody successfully got much off the list price for Audi Approved Used recently? From Googling, there doesn't seem much to be had over the last few years, but I'm wondering if current events might mean there is a bit more room for negotiating.

Associate
I got 2k off an Audi approved by taking similar Audi approved used ads for cheaper around the country. Guess. It only worked because the one I was looking at was 2k more expensive than the exact same car 50 miles away

Soldato
If you haven't set your heart on it, then have a figure in mind that you'd like to achieve. Be realistic with it and be prepared to walk if they won't budge. Get some comparable car listings for sale for less than the one you're looking it. There's always room to negotiate (unless you're Porsche). If they won't move on price see if they can add an extra year's warranty. I do this with BMW when they won't budge to where I want.

Man of Honour
Not so much Audi but never had much luck of late getting movement on price - in a couple of cases they literally told me someone else will buy it so they have no motivation. I've had better luck trying to get extras thrown in though.

The only way to get any movement on price these days is if you either have some real leverage and/or hitting just the right time of year i.e. if they want to clear inventory for new models, etc.

Soldato
Apparently because of COVID people have not been replacing their company cars. Either because the factories have been shut, deliveries have been delayed or they’ve just extended their current lease arrangements to allow for them not running as many miles. Because of that there is a shortage of newish used cars and that is pushing up prices. Give it 6 months and you might find the flood gates open or if the WTO levies come in, used car prices may firm up even more.

Associate
OP
My wife let me know this evening that she'd likely be either very upset or very annoyed if I do this :( I see where she is coming from, but we always make the sensible decisions and it would be nice to not always do that.

Associate
OP
:D

They seem to be quite keen to sell. They said they had a driver available tomorrow and offered to drive it 110 miles to me so I could test drive it, instead of me heading over on Saturday.

Soldato
My wife let me know this evening that she'd likely be either very upset or very annoyed if I do this :( I see where she is coming from, but we always make the sensible decisions and it would be nice to not always do that.

Forgiveness is easier than permission... :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have never involved the wife in my car purchases. She's never batted an eyelid.

This doesn't really say much, maybe you're a millionaire, maybe you have your own savings account and buy cars out right, or more commonly you see each of your income as your own to do what you want.

I imagine the OP pools their money into the household and this isn't just a standard type of purchase he does every 3 years. So spending £3-5k from their joint savings and £400-500 per month is not something he can just do and his wife will "not bat and eyelid" :D

Soldato
I have never involved the wife in my car purchases. She's never batted an eyelid.
If you were going to make an out of the norm 'less sensible decision' would you at least talk it over? I suspect most people would and it is reasonable for you wife to be interested. If it is usual nature of the purchase that would have me consulting my wife, I don't tell her I'm buying milk I do talk about it if I'm blowing a few hundred on an indulgence.

Back
Top Bottom