The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
So after 7 weeks of trying to resolve our PRoW issue found on the local search - it seems that the owner of the property we were buying knew about it, thought their previous solicitor had dealt with (but didn't ask what?) so if we proceed it'll be left to us to deal with. All this has been actioned in the last 7 days, they had 7 weeks to deal with it and give us details/clarification so not very happy.

Seriously can't be bothered with trying to get the path moved or extinguisheed (even if the Borough Council and a Parish Councillor I discussed the path with - both say it should have been dealt with in the early 1970's and essentially the path is defunct) - the RA would naturally object to any Legal Order and probably drag it all out with us footing the costs, with no assurance it would be succesful.

So I've backed out of our purchase - the rest of our chain are all ready to exchange (as were we) and were talking about completing on the 23rd October....now waiting to see how our buyer wants to proceed.

Soldato
Good website, especially since you can see where the risk areas are on a map.

My potential house is medium surface water risk and very low risk for rivers & the sea, but when you look at the map:

Untitled.png

Surface water risk is the road, not the property. No historic flooding at the property. Anything to worry about?

I dont think its anything to worry about, my property is high risk on surface water but on the map its actually on the light shade of blue. I have also joined the resident estate group on facebook just to double check and not one problem.

Soldato
Good website, especially since you can see where the risk areas are on a map.

My potential house is medium surface water risk and very low risk for rivers & the sea, but when you look at the map:

Untitled.png

Surface water risk is the road, not the property. No historic flooding at the property. Anything to worry about?

I wouldn't worry about that personally (*Not an expert :p). As long as it's not pooling in or around the property, or running through it.

Associate
Recently had Local authority searches back from conveyancing solicitors.

They advised that the garage is not to be used for 'business purposes'.

Anyone know why?

The reason I ask is my partner is a part time market trader (Self employed) and was expecting to store some of her stock in the garage between market stalls..

Soldato
I think that means you're not allowed to use it like a shop floor. Does seem an odd thing to crop up - perhaps it relates to something that happened with a previous owner.

I can't see any problem with storing stuff in there. Surely, that's 99% of most peoples primary use of a garage.

Associate
I think that means you're not allowed to use it like a shop floor. Does seem an odd thing to crop up - perhaps it relates to something that happened with a previous owner.

I can't see any problem with storing stuff in there. Surely, that's 99% of most peoples primary use of a garage.

Yes we have no intentions to use it as a shop and that's my thinking exactly, the whole point of a garage is to store stuff whether it be a car or possessions. The only thing is that the possessions we are looking to store relate to a business.

Maybe I'm just reading into this to much.

Associate
So our sale has now fallen through.

We're feeling that we're being made out as time-wasters and being blamed for this situation. It's been a frantic, frustrating and heartbreaking 7 days. We are mentally and physically exhausted, so have removed our house from the narket to recover and take a little time to decide what to do next.

Virtual hugs to everyone going through this process currently with COVID, job uncertainty and Brexit, the sale/purchasing process is stressful as it is. Stay chilled friends!

Soldato

We're feeling that we're being made out as time-wasters and being blamed for this situation. It's been a frantic, frustrating and heartbreaking 7 days. We are mentally and physically exhausted, so have removed our house from the narket to recover and take a little time to decide what to do next.

Virtual hugs to everyone going through this process currently with COVID, job uncertainty and Brexit, the sale/purchasing process is stressful as it is. Stay chilled friends!

What did the sale fall through?

Soldato

Hopefully a bigger and better property is waiting for you! We are just counting down the days until we move in but until we are in I'm still scared something will go wrong

Associate
What did the sale fall through?

It was expected, I think partly due to a "strategy" employed by the seller of the house we were purchasing left responding to the PRoW literally to the last minute. Our chain was talking completion next week. Which means we backed out and lose our sale or continue and take on the PRoW.

The guy buying our house basically wanted us to take a further reduction on the accepted offer. We didn't want to do that as that would have been £12.5k lower than the original asking price.

As I said we expected that but we're not selling our house on the cheap, he was getting a bargain in any event (based on recent sales on this estate and surrounding area).

Soldato
My seller is due to give birth tomorrow. We were trying to aim for completion Friday as the searches were due back today....but of course, the local authority searches haven't come back.

Seller is having a meltdown and is now threatening to pull the sale because apparently we had all agreed to complete friday and they have all their removals booked etc.

Soldato
My seller is due to give birth tomorrow. We were trying to aim for completion Friday as the searches were due back today....but of course, the local authority searches haven't come back.

Seller is having a meltdown and is now threatening to pull the sale because apparently we had all agreed to complete friday and they have all their removals booked etc.

I assume you haven't exchanged yet and doing both on same day?

Soldato
I assume you haven't exchanged yet and doing both on same day?

Nope, not exchanged yet. Will be aiming for exchange and complete on Friday. Of course, the local authority search may take weeks to come back....

Just have to laugh at how absurd this process is. Utterly insane.

I'm glad their estate agent is getting the brunt of it as the seller is hormonal as hell and losing her ****.

Caporegime
Recently had Local authority searches back from conveyancing solicitors.

They advised that the garage is not to be used for 'business purposes'.

Usually these things are weird left overs from historical arguments. My old house had a stipulation that the property "not be used for the sale of fried fish". No idea why. They're also usually both unenforced and unenforceable.

The reason I ask is my partner is a part time market trader (Self employed) and was expecting to store some of her stock in the garage between market stalls..

Yeah, they're talking about using the space in a manner that brings noise and nuisance to your neighbours. Selling cars, using it as a sales space, etc. No-one will either know, nor care, if you're storing stuff in there.

IANAL. TINLA. Speak to your conveyancer.

Soldato
Has anyone used a no search indemnity policy? Going to get some quotes this morning so I've at least got something in the back pocket if they don't turn up today.

Going to cost me a 4 figure sum if they don't come in today so spending a little on insurance to grease the wheels makes sense.

Soldato
Has anyone used a no search indemnity policy? Going to get some quotes this morning so I've at least got something in the back pocket if they don't turn up today.

Going to cost me a 4 figure sum if they don't come in today so spending a little on insurance to grease the wheels makes sense.
We looked at this - but it was quite expensive for a comprehensive policy (3k) and only covered us for a short period.

In the end we didn't bother and instead offered the agents incentives to relentlessly chase everyone until we had everything we needed

Soldato
Searches is all petty stuff IMO.

Ok - you want to know if the house is liable to flooding, or built on an ancient burial ground. But really, you should be doing your own research about these things and the area yourself before making an offer on a house.

The only things of value I'd expect to come back are any lack of compliance certification for any changes, and stuff like that. Things that are unlikely to stop you wanting to complete your move.

Soldato
Searches is all petty stuff IMO.

Ok - you want to know if the house is liable to flooding, or built on an ancient burial ground. But really, you should be doing your own research about these things and the area yourself before making an offer on a house.

The only things of value I'd expect to come back are any lack of compliance certification for any changes, and stuff like that. Things that are unlikely to stop you wanting to complete your move.

Building regs are the last outstanding. Not really trivial, as there is an extension on the house!

Been to solicitors and got last of the paperwork signed. Now waiting to see if local authority can expedite that today or the whole chains move date goes **** up.

Can't believe they all went ahead and booked removals etc. Knowing full well it was subject to searches....when everyone knows full well searches are taking ages.

Back
Top Bottom