£70 - The "New Normal" for next generation games?

Soldato
Demons Souls is £69.99 at most retailers. ~£65 at a couple. But no cheaper than that. Same goes for Destruction All-stars So the new price tag clearly is real. Not quite sure why you're making out like it doesn't exist?

I stand-by my statement that if someone wants to go out and buy either of those games physically at or around launch, they will pay around £60. I could pay £64 for it right now if I wanted and I could pay £60 for it digitally via PSN credit purchases.

Associate
Just makes the XSX and Game Pass much better value. Not gonna be paying 60-70 for games physical or otherwise. I'll play the Game Pass stuff then pick up everything else a few months later when its cheaper. :)

Soldato
like others have said, I regularly paid £50-70 in the snes and megadrive days, especially for NTSC carts from abroad so it wouldn't put me off for a quality title. that said, I have so many PC games to play that i'd wait till they go on sale which if ps4 games are anything to go by, happens really quickly, except for some AAA games like cod.

Caporegime
It's already been happening to some extent with all of the collectors editions where they throw in £5 of tat and some digital content and charge £70 for a £45 game. I'll happily wait for the price to drop it'll be those who have to own a game on day 1 who will be hurt by it.

Soldato
like others have said, I regularly paid £50-70 in the snes and megadrive days, especially for NTSC carts from abroad so it wouldn't put me off for a quality title. that said, I have so many PC games to play that i'd wait till they go on sale which if ps4 games are anything to go by, happens really quickly, except for some AAA games like cod.

I paid silly prices for cartridge games - pretty sure £60 was the default price for most of my Jaguar games - but I wouldn't even entertain paying over £50 for a game today.

Soldato
I paid silly prices for cartridge games - pretty sure £60 was the default price for most of my Jaguar games - but I wouldn't even entertain paying over £50 for a game today.
i remember when my friend who imported games back in those days, had SF2 in NTSC american format for £125 and they sold like hot cakes!

i remember buying my jaguar from rumbelows in maldon high st. luckily, they were getting rid as closing down so the console was around £70 and the games were £20 each. katsumi ninja, tempest 2000, cybermorph and alien v predator were purchased. don't remember buying anymore.

Soldato
This with one exception; buying AC:V on launch, which will be the first time I've ever spent over a nifty for a video game but then only by 199 pentons!

I'm with you on this entirely. I am only paying "Full Retail" for games at launch because, well it's a new console and I'd like some new games to play on it.
So I will be getting Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion at launch - but then I'll be buying as and when prices drop, as I have for both the previous generations.

Back
Top Bottom