**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
I wouldn't fully discount it just for that - however that's your prerogative.
I'm not just saying this to self-validate my recent S20 FE purchase but I have noticed that the 6gb S20 FE handles my apps much better (or more to my liking) than my 8gb 7T Pro. I always found that despite the roomy 8gb afforded in the 7T Pro its management of said RAM was never stellar.

I must confess I don’t like the screen borders on the FE either and, while I don’t mind plastic backs as such, I can spend whatever amount it takes to get the right phone and maybe I’d like a full on premium device. Unfortunately, every phone has something a little bit wrong with it. If the Note 20 Ultra came with an SD I’d be all over it.

Associate
I must confess I don’t like the screen borders on the FE either and, while I don’t mind plastic backs as such, I can spend whatever amount it takes to get the right phone and maybe I’d like a full on premium device. Unfortunately, every phone has something a little bit wrong with it. If the Note 20 Ultra came with an SD I’d be all over it.

If you're usually careful with your phone and dont keep them too long, maybe import model?

Soldato
If you're usually careful with your phone and dont keep them too long, maybe import model?

I don’t need the hassle of an import of things go wrong. If Samsung did the right thing and offered a worldwide warranty, I’d consider it.

Anyway, I cancelled my 8T order. Lots of reviews saying it isn’t all that.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Was looking to pre order the Silver 8T coming from 6T.. but they only do it in the lower spec 8/128... Feels wrong spending all that money and not getting the top spec 12/256... Prefer silver to green though..hmm...

Soldato
That's a huge stretch. He was probably paid like mkbhd is.

This made me lol a little :)

In the past he gave the OnePlus 6 best overall phone, over the Galaxy Note 9. The Note was easily better, sw is debatable.

Ahh, I see. His opinion didn't line up with yours, so he was paid. Okay. Personally, I think it depends exactly how he was deciding what was best. Many prefer OnePlus interface and user experience over Samsung's. Then, if you want to factor in value, I don't see why you wouldn't have a OnePlus as your recommended device. Many others do too. I would almost certainly say MKBHD isn't paid by anyone. He'd have to be pretty ballsy to make the claims he does about paying his own way, even when companies want to send him to places, to then be on the take.

On the 8T, I missed the announcement and have just had a real quick look at the specs. I declared on a blog earlier this year, midrange is the place to be and Google and OnePlus seem to be in agreement, both with their only phones firmly planted in the midrange. Interesting.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Been toying with upgrading my OnePlus 5 for a while and was fairly certain I'd settled on the Pixel 5 up until I saw the 8T last night...

I'm not sure I even need to upgrade, yes the 5 is a bit old, stuck on Android 9, has some big old cracks on the screen... But it still does everything I need it to. It sends messages, it receives calls, it browses the web fine, videos are fine, Twitch is fine, the speaker sound is surprisingly good. Sure, the camera could be better but I can't really complain about it because I rarely use it - or is that because it's not that great? Decisions decisions...

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Been toying with upgrading my OnePlus 5 for a while and was fairly certain I'd settled on the Pixel 5 up until I saw the 8T last night...

I'm not sure I even need to upgrade, yes the 5 is a bit old, stuck on Android 9, has some big old cracks on the screen... But it still does everything I need it to. It sends messages, it receives calls, it browses the web fine, videos are fine, Twitch is fine, the speaker sound is surprisingly good. Sure, the camera could be better but I can't really complain about it because I rarely use it - or is that because it's not that great? Decisions decisions...
For this price point, apart from the camera, the 8T kills the Pixel 5.

The improved brightness management, heat dissipation and super fast charging are the 3 main things that are really tempting me.. those 3 things are what bugs me about the 6T. Didn't think they would be improved but good thing they listen to their users.

The more I look at the aquamarine green the more it grows on me... might just pull the trigger after all hmmm..

Soldato
For this price point, apart from the camera, the 8T kills the Pixel 5.

The improved brightness management, heat dissipation and super fast charging are the 3 main things that are really tempting me.. those 3 things are what bugs me about the 6T. Didn't think they would be improved but good thing they listen to their users.

The more I look at the aquamarine green the more it grows on me... might just pull the trigger after all hmmm..

I pulled the trigger yesterday on the silver one. Coming Saturday.

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Well I caved and ordered the 8GB version from John Lewis, collection available tomorrow so I shall see how I get on! Buyer's remorse may set in and it goes back, not sure yet.

Soldato
Quite like the look of the 8T at that price!

I'm not a massive camera snapper (and some of the camera concerns could be addressed by using Gcam) but the rest of the package ticks a lot of boxes for me. Not bothered about the lack of wireless charging as the warp charger is so quick.

With the 8T, Pixel 5 and S20 FE, there's a decent range of handsets for peeps like me who don't want or need to spend flagship money.

Soldato
I've been following the three recent launches, 8T, Pixel 5 & iPhone. It seems to be a year of compromise as every thread has posts detailing something they can't have our don't use or can put up with. The only premium device is the iPhone Pro but I can't live with that massive notch.

One trend that seems to be evident is that people aren't willing to invest over £1k on their phones any more, and the manufacturers know it. Google addressed this directly with a statement basically saying that they expect a significant change in the economic climate which is why they didn't go down the premium route with the Pixel 5.

Soldato
iPhone Pro? You're kidding me right... That much mulah and no high refresh screen?

Same notch 4 years running? And with masks is FACEID is almost useless.

Pixel 5 with the headphone offer is the best compromise IMO.

Soldato
iPhone Pro? You're kidding me right... That much mulah and no high refresh screen?

Same notch 4 years running? And with masks is FACEID is almost useless.

Pixel 5 with the headphone offer is the best compromise IMO.

Yes, I did mention that i ruled it out on the notch alone. By premium device I mean marketed and priced as premium. :)

And I've just spotted your edit regarding the Pixel 5; for me the headphone bribe is the biggest indicator that the phone is not for me. I don't need the headphones, and more importantly coming from a 7T then what would the Pixel 5 actually bring to the table?

Back
Top Bottom