• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dropped CPU Temperature 15 °C going from top rad mount to front rad mount with RTX 3080

Soldato
Well it is nothing fancy and I just moved fans around.
Have you tried top mount and stick 2 lots of 240mm fans on the front.

I think your poor cooking might ha e something to do with choking inside the case as only 1 intake vs 3 exhaust.

In the front mount situation you got the same issue. But the effect is negated cos the low pressure inside the case is helping airflow through the front fans if that make sense. So cooling performance is not affected.

Associate
OP
Not trying to be rude here,OK let me start by saying this ,it was not a problem ever temperature wise for me. Same case I used a RTX 2080 with AMD Ryzen 2600X/2x3600X/3800X/3600XT. After I put in 3 different RTX 3080 cards ,I just noticed and increase in CPU temperature.I was fine with increase in temperature.
So I made some changes and now the case fans run at lower RPM on same task and CPU temperatures are 15°C-16°C cooler from changing some stuff around. I am satisfied 100% with the changes and no need to do anything else,thanks for the tips but AMD Ryzen @ 4600Mhz only hitting 60°C PC gaming and say 70°C Cinebench20 multi is perfectly fine and needs no changes at all.I made the post for people who want to give this a try.

Soldato
I would expect it to be 3-5 degrees difference under the current weather condition. Not 15 tho. Just curious about your original set up.

anyway as I said front mount Rads carry less risks

Associate
OP
Yes I understand the risk,thanks for the tip. I am not worry about any risk at all,5 CPU's,4 sets of DDR4,a couple motherboards,maybe 20 SSD's ETC in less than 2 years. I just like playing games and buying useless crap that does not make a difference in PC gaming.

I googled the rad placement,this guy Bitwit only saw 10°C difference. So lets say 10°C and 5 °C for bad CPU mount.All equal anyway 12:13 of video he has the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves&ab_channel=Bitwit

Associate
makes sense, the grills on my front facing fans catch way more dust than the grills on the top facing fans, indicating that i get more airflow from the front

might try and move the rad to the front and see what happens.......

Associate
IMHO airflow and temperatures should be best if air came in the bottom and out the top. That's the way air wants to go naturally due to heat rising.

Case design is not optimal for airflow, its a compromise to allow for the fact the computer may be on the floor where intake would be choked.

Most AIO would not come with long enough tubes to allow bottom mounting of course

Associate
OP
makes sense, the grills on my front facing fans catch way more dust than the grills on the top facing fans, indicating that i get more airflow from the front

might try and move the rad to the front and see what happens.......
I would be interested and see your results,if you change things around.

Soldato
Top mount was exhausting hot air, pulling hot air through the rad.

Front mount is taking in cool air, pulling cool air through the rad.

No one has mentioned this until now???

Associate
Gamersnexus has concluded that there isn't much in it in terms of top vs. front mounted rad.

As has already been said, front mounted intake rads mean colder air passes over the radiator and cools the CPU slightly better. The trade-off is that you now have warmer air entering the case, so the ambient case and GPU temps usually go up a little bit.

All in all though, if mounted properly with sufficient balance between intake and exhaust fans, then it's marginal.

Soldato
Two questions,

What batch is the 3600
How did you buy three different 3080’s

The 3080 must have been saturating the case to see a 15c drop.

Associate
OP
Two questions,

What batch is the 3600
How did you buy three different 3080’s

The 3080 must have been saturating the case to see a 15c drop.
Do not know batch number cause I did not care.
Bought two RTX on Sept 17 2020 online,could have bought more.
Bought one at a store Sept 22 2020. I did not find it hard to buy a RTX 3080 in Canada.

Associate
Do not know batch number cause I did not care.
Bought two RTX on Sept 17 2020 online,could have bought more.
Bought one at a store Sept 22 2020. I did not find it hard to buy a RTX 3080 in Canada.
Why would anyone need three 3080s? Also why would you be buying 5 different Ryzen CPUs over the course of 2- 3 years? Sorry, but I don't believe you.

Soldato
Why is everyone glossing over the 3080 was what changed things. Not surprising really as it is higher wattage and exhausts the hot air differently. In that particular case it's probably enough to increase the temps substantially.

I'm running 6 X 120mm in and 2 X 120mm out. Works well. I can recommend Demciflex case filters. Just order direct, cheap and easy enough and you can order in any colour you want. Great airflow and filter very fine dust particles.

Back
Top Bottom