• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel’s surprise Ryzen killer

Soldato
Some nice power sippers in the 4000 series APUs.

Thanks I had a look and they look a good bet, is nice to know they an option. I think AMD eats intel for breakfast right now on power efficiency.

A vendor has decided to start making AMD NUC's hopefully they use one of these 4000 series chips.

Associate
Thanks I had a look and they look a good bet, is nice to know they an option. I think AMD eats intel for breakfast right now on power efficiency.

A vendor has decided to start making AMD NUC's hopefully they use one of these 4000 series chips.
No worries. Hopefully that's a good direction for you to research the options for your specific requirements.

Soldato
The Ryzen killer (Alder Lake) has been pictured, boy is it a big CPU!

https://videocardz.com/newz/exclusive-intel-alder-lake-s-cpu-pictured

This is likely to be Intel's next Sandy Bridge moment, restoring normality and eclipsing anything AMD can offer. Huge number of pins, so massive IO bandwidth - think DDR5, PCIEv5, more lanes from CPU. Jim Keller has left AMD, I doubt there any many more cherry's to pick to improve on Ryzen much further.

The big-small architecture (small atom like cores couple with the big ones) will get software optimisations due to Intel's massive influences, and will echo in a new era for power efficiency and performance.

Hopefully AMD can fight back with Zen 4, though I wouldn't expect that they can compete with Jim Keller's Alder Lake design.

Soldato

This is likely to be Intel's next Sandy Bridge moment, restoring normality and eclipsing anything AMD can offer. Huge number of pins, so massive IO bandwidth - think DDR5, PCIEv5, more lanes from CPU. Jim Keller has left AMD, I doubt there any many more cherry's to pick to improve on Ryzen much further.

The big-small architecture (small atom like cores couple with the big ones) will get software optimisations due to Intel's massive influences, and will echo in a new era for power efficiency and performance.

Hopefully AMD can fight back with Zen 4, though I wouldn't expect that they can compete with Jim Keller's Alder Lake design.

Hi Ryan, how's it going? :D In all seriousness though it might do ok in 8 core workloads but it's going to get stomped by a true 16 core. I could see it being good in a laptop with varied workloads but not so much for a desktop.

Man of Honour
Hi Ryan, how's it going? :D In all seriousness though it might do ok in 8 core workloads but it's going to get stomped by a true 16 core. I could see it being good in a laptop with varied workloads but not so much for a desktop.

IMO Alder lake gets stomped by Zen. Big little sounds like a windows scheduler nightmare waiting to happen. Given it took the best part of 2 years for the scheduler to be sufficiently "fixed" for Zen I cant see this big little being better in any meaningful way if anything it's much harder to schedule for. The fact that it is a Keller design is interesting if it actually is the fruits of his labour, given the timing you would expect at best that Alder lake was basically done by the time Keller Joined so we shouldn't expect Keller magic in Alder Lake. In fact I have heard it said several times that the Ocean Cove cores (those of Alder Lakes successor) are the most likely to be Kellers work.

Soldato
IMO Alder lake gets stomped by Zen. Big little sounds like a windows scheduler nightmare waiting to happen. Given it took the best part of 2 years for the scheduler to be sufficiently "fixed" for Zen I cant see this big little being better in any meaningful way if anything it's much harder to schedule for. The fact that it is a Keller design is interesting if it actually is the fruits of his labour, given the timing you would expect at best that Alder lake was basically done by the time Keller Joined so we shouldn't expect Keller magic in Alder Lake. In fact I have heard it said several times that the Ocean Cove cores (those of Alder Lakes successor) are the most likely to be Kellers work.

Pretty much. I think Keller realised Intel is run by a marketing department and got out PDQ.

Soldato

I always find the big/small system horrible, on phones using that architecture I often make them almost exclusively use the big cores.

Back
Top Bottom