What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Probably easier than going to the bodyshop twice a week. Clearly your current parking spot isn't up to snuff, as it must be causing an obstruction.
Its not the parking spot!
1: Halfords car park - someone scrapped the side when I was in the shop & drove off.
2: Bus hit the side of me on the main road then drove away & I could not get their number plate details in time (they looked at me then drove away fast!) as it was very sunny & he went around the corner.
3: Different bus hit me again yesterday & again drove off you need fast reflexes to stop in the middle of the road & take their number plate.

Not sure what I can do about any of this except give buses an extreme amount of space in future & hope no-one hits my car when its parked someone in public & I am not around!

Soldato
All but one of my cars have been older, none have cost £4k over three weeks (unless that includes purchase price?)
£2.5 K for cam belt replacement & water pump, & cam pulleys replaced as all in the same bottom part of the engine bay (all a precaution it should be done every 5 years or sooner depending on car cheaper than a new engine!) as well as new front brake pads & discs & 12 months MOT all at a main dealer so main dealer prices!

£310 for 4 x new tyres (again a precaution none needed changing all were new just not the same brands front & rear so did not feel very stable. New tyres transformed the handling & now safe the car feels very stable in high speed corners.

£670 for 3 x resprays to fix the damage. All are minor but I like my car to be spotless as its got a nice metallic finish hard to do yourself!

Another £450 on other minor cosmetic things & all the usual stuff like replacement bulbs, spare oil, coolant, cleaning products, replacement interior mirror as its discoloured.

Soldato
Its not the parking spot!
1: Halfords car park - someone scrapped the side when I was in the shop & drove off.
2: Bus hit the side of me on the main road then drove away & I could not get their number plate details in time (they looked at me then drove away fast!) as it was very sunny & he went around the corner.
3: Different bus hit me again yesterday & again drove off you need fast reflexes to stop in the middle of the road & take their number plate.

Not sure what I can do about any of this except give buses an extreme amount of space in future & hope no-one hits my car when its parked someone in public & I am not around!

Anywhere else you can park, perhaps out the way of busses?

Soldato
2.5K for a cambelt :O What was is it?
Cam belt replacement, water pump, cam pulleys replaced as all in the same bottom part of the engine bay (all were ok but as a precaution it should be done every 5 years or sooner depending on car model cheaper than a new engine!) as well as new front brake pads & discs & 12 months MOT all at a main dealer so main dealer prices. That is why 2.5K the cam belt (cost almost nothing its all labour time @ 8-9 hours!!) is only £1K of that the rest is also inexpensive parts wise but makes sense to get done at the same time as bottom part of the engine is very hard to access. Could have DIYed it myself but if you get the timing wrong on re-assembly goodbye engine top end!!

I think I got charged about 12 hours labour overall @ main dealer rates so around £670 parts & consumable for main service the rest was main dealer labour time & MOT costs & do not forget good old VAT @ 20% :rolleyes:

If you buy any used vehicle then unless you are given evidence it had the cam belt changed its always a good idea to get this done just incase!

Soldato
Cam belt replacement, water pump, cam pulleys replaced as all in the same bottom part of the engine bay (all were ok but as a precaution it should be done every 5 years or sooner depending on car model cheaper than a new engine!) as well as new front brake pads & discs & 12 months MOT all at a main dealer so main dealer prices. That is why 2.5K the cam belt (cost almost nothing its all labour time @ 8-9 hours!!) is only £1K of that the rest is also inexpensive parts wise but makes sense to get done at the same time as bottom part of the engine is very hard to access. Could have DIYed it myself but if you get the timing wrong on re-assembly goodbye engine top end!!

I think I got charged about 12 hours labour overall @ main dealer rates so around £670 parts & consumable for main service the rest was main dealer labour time & MOT costs & do not forget good old VAT @ 20% :rolleyes:

If you buy any used vehicle then unless you are given evidence it had the cam belt changed its always a good idea to get this done just incase!

Yes, but what car? :)

Associate

Yea, what car, and if it's an old car why on earth did you go to a main dealer?

Soldato
Yea, what car, and if it's an old car why on earth did you go to a main dealer?
Renault Megane Dynamique 2.0 TCE twin turbo 180BHP! Well I would not trust anyone else with changing the cam belt as it can & does wreck the engine if it snaps! Its a common issue on older Renaults previous owners skip getting the cam belt, water pump & cam pulleys replaced at the same time due to cost & just chance the belt will not snap :rolleyes: me I prefer to get it all done at once as a sensible precaution & main dealer means if they mess up the engine timing they have to replace or repair.

An independent garage will usually only give you a few months warranty (main dealer is 12 months). You can even do it yourself (not hard to do just time consuming as you need to remove a lot of parts to gain access as its bottom part of the engine bay. Most of the labour time is for them gaining access not swapping the actual parts!)but again if you mess up the engine timing when putting the new cam belt on bye bye engine when you start it up :eek: as it will wreck the top end & leave you with a 3-4K repair bill if your lucky!

Back
Top Bottom