• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade path from R5 1600

Associate
Hello all I was wondering if I could get your collective advice.

I'm currently running a r5 1600 on a X370 gaming pro carbon with a MSI armour RX580 and its upgrade time.

I game at 1080p 144htz with no plans to upgrade my monitor but would like to play cyberpunk 2077 at a high/ ultra quality without it sounding like a jet engine is taking off (The RX580 armour is truly horrible for noise and I regret buying it but I needed a card in the middle of the crypto boom and that's all that was available at a okish price). I plan to get the 3070 or which may be overkill for 1080p but with RTX on and max settings it should be a good fit I'm just waiting for the AMD big Navi announcement before I pull the trigger.

My problem is the CPU upgrade as my original plan was to wait for the 3700x to drop in price after the Zen 3 announcement and then upgrade my motherboard sometime over the next 2 years. However with the pricing of the 5800x and 5600x I cant see the 3700x dropping much so was wondering if it would be better to get a 5600x now with a new motherboard. I doubt I will be upgrading the CPU or graphics card for another 3 years after this and don't plan on carrying out any overclocking.

I'm inclined to stick with my original plan as that is cheaper (no need for a new board) and also easier no need to reinstall windows etc..but I've read on some forums that putting a 3700x on a X370 isn't the best idea.

So do you guys have any thoughts on the best CPU upgrade path ...heck will I even see a difference vs my old r5 1600.

Regards

Soldato
If you want 1080p 5700XT is more than enough. 2060 super or 2070 super would suffice also and both will give you headroom in 1440p department. Hell even 1080ti will do the trick. But wait for the Navi announcement and see what happens to prices.

min terms of your CPU and Mobo, I would say drop in 3700x and keep that up for now as it will unlikely to create a bottle neck situation that limits your gaming experience.

5000 series is probably a bit too rich for most seeking value. if you can afford it, it will be a decent upgrade. BUT for 1080p gaming you won’t see that performance gain too much. Zen3 will come to its own in 1440p with the latest GPU I think

Soldato
1080p is where you will see the most performance gain
only if you get a 360Hz or 240Hz monitor.

@ 1440p thats when 144Hz monitor will be fully utilised with 3070 and a decent CPU. thats when you get your "smooth" gaming experiences.

pushing 200+fps to 300fps is not going to matter for the OP

Associate
OP
Hello All

Thanks for the advice I've gone with the 3700x because as you say that means I wont have to upgrade the motherboard. PC guy you make a good point that I could go for the 5600XT or 2070 super but I think it will depend on the price drops and that depends on what AMD say at the end of the month. I'm crossing my fingers for big navi to give 2080TI performance for £250 .....but that's probably fantasy :)

Associate
Hello All

Thanks for the advice I've gone with the 3700x because as you say that means I wont have to upgrade the motherboard. PC guy you make a good point that I could go for the 5600XT or 2070 super but I think it will depend on the price drops and that depends on what AMD say at the end of the month. I'm crossing my fingers for big navi to give 2080TI performance for £250 .....but that's probably fantasy :)
That's a pretty good call, 3700X is a good value if you're staying on B3xx series mobos. Enjoy the new chip!

Back
Top Bottom