IPS monitors & motion sickness

Associate
Hi all,

I bought a Gigabyte FI27Q recently but I've had to stop using it due to getting headaches in normal use and nausea while gaming.

I thought it was just that monitor that was causing the problems, so I decided to get another 27inch IPS monitor, a benQ but unfortunately I noticed more or less immediately the same problems I have using the FI27Q and so I sent it back.

I also have a TN monitor which does not cause headaches or nausea and I've recently bought and settled on a AOC AG273QX VA monitor for all round use, but especially gaming. Having no issues with that either.

Has anyone else had any similar experience with headaches and nausea using IPS monitors?

Soldato
Not sure if my experience is relevant, but I used to use my desktop and (increasingly ancient 27" DGM 1440p) monitor all the time until about four years ago, and I didn't have any problems then. But for the last four years I've used a laptop 99.9% of the time and when I occasionally fire up the desktop to update it, if I try to test any games on it I definitely get motion sickness almost straight away. The way it fills my entire view (I sit quite close) seems to have the same effect as my Oculus Rift... which is why that rarely gets used either!

Anyway, try sitting further back for a while, to give your brain time to adjust. I'm sure I'd readjust to a large monitor again if I had to, but for the time being my computer life will be 15" at arm's length.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input Andrew. I have been using 27inch 1440p monitors for many years now. I'm already more than an arms length away from my dual monitor setup for everyday use. I did also try sitting quite far back whilst gaming as well as increasing FOV and using the blue light reduction, nothing worked. The only thing that has solved the problem so far is switching to using a VA or TN monitor :(

Soldato
How odd, assuming this isn't down to backlighting which isn't dependant on panel type, the fundamental difference between these panels is actually just the orientation of the liquid crystals and how they are controlled, which the full names tell you a bit about, In Plane Switching, Vertical Alignment and Twisted Nematic. I wonder if this plays into it somehow, I think you would need to test with a wider range of different IPS, VA and TN monitors to be sure of this though.

One thing to check for though, that IPS panels marketed for gamers often do these days is some form of frame insertion, usually black frame insertion which is supposed to improve the perception of motion, but a lot of people say it makes them feel nauseous. I have never heard of a VA or TN monitor doing this, that's not to say none do though.

Associate
OP
I did come across BFI but according to this list the BenQ EX2780Q does not use it.

I think I will certainly have to try a few more IPS monitors and see if I get the same problems. On a side note I believe my Honour 10 has an IPS screen which I use frequently and that doesn't give me headaches :confused:

Associate
OP
BTW I still have the FIQ27 if anyone is interested in buying it from me. PM me (If that's allowed here) or find it on er.. ChewTree or it's space friendly competitor.

Associate
Hi all,

I bought a Gigabyte FI27Q recently but I've had to stop using it due to getting headaches in normal use and nausea while gaming.

I thought it was just that monitor that was causing the problems, so I decided to get another 27inch IPS monitor, a benQ but unfortunately I noticed more or less immediately the same problems I have using the FI27Q and so I sent it back.

I also have a TN monitor which does not cause headaches or nausea and I've recently bought and settled on a AOC AG273QX VA monitor for all round use, but especially gaming. Having no issues with that either.

Has anyone else had any similar experience with headaches and nausea using IPS monitors?

It is a very old thread but comes first on google search about IPS motion sickness. So I wanted to thanks and share my problem which is the same and may help others.

I have been using Asus IPS VG27AQL1A for a long time, almost 2 years. I was suffering motion sickness for at least 4 years but it was worst after I start using IPS monitor and become too bad recently. I found this thread by the google and I decided to try a TN monitor, I bought Asus VG27BQ and I am using it for 5 days without a single motion sickness. I even pushed my self playing games for 5 days and no problem at all.

Before I tested the TN monitor, I went number of doctors in the last 2 years even got brain and heart tests and mr scans etc.. All were clean. If I knew, I would try TN before becoming a test subject in hospitals.

I would like to thank you the person who has opened this thread 2 years ago, It has saved my life and fixed my motion sickness, I hope you read this. The only solution was to use TN monitor for me as well.

Thats interesting and I dont know why some people like me getting motion sickness from IPS.

Back
Top Bottom