16 to 34 year olds in the UK watch 46 minutes of YouTube per day.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . .
There is a whole world of content out there. Have a look, you might like it!
I'm sure there is and that perhaps is the problem, it is like going through a dumpster on the basis that you might find something worthwhile in there ;)

I do consult YouTube when I want to sort out a problem around the house - like a blocked sink, working out how to wire a two-way switch, how to have a bathroom extractor fan switched on with the light but keep running after switching off the light. For these issues, YouTube is sans pareil.

Soldato
Is that it? I can't see my weekly average for some reason, but I'm sure it's MUCH higher than that. Can't say I watch normal TV really at all, just the few times a year BBC pay for an England match. Honestly should just turn off DVB and put the money into providing decent internet to everyone.

Transmission breaker
Don
I'm sure there is and that perhaps is the problem, it is like going through a dumpster on the basis that you might find something worthwhile in there ;)

I do consult YouTube when I want to sort out a problem around the house - like a blocked sink, working out how to wire a two-way switch, how to have a bathroom extractor fan switched on with the light but keep running after switching off the light. For these issues, YouTube is sans pareil.

Sure, there is a load of junk, but its not that hard to find decent content. If you search around your own preferences/interests. I mean, if that's too much work for you, I am not sure the internet is for you :D

Caporegime
My average is just under two hours a day according to the app (tbh some weeks think it's more than that though). Some of that is actual 'watching' time and some just 'listening' while doing something else.

Channels I like watching include various 'educational' ones and stuff others have mentioned, also enjoy:
Historia Civilis (Roman history)
History Time (history, I like the ancient history stuff)
Curious droid (random interesting topics)
Isaac Arthur (future space technology etc)
Matt's offroad recovery (episodic rescues of people stuck on the trails of Utah)
GTOger (random goings on and people getting towed off a parking lot in Dallas)
Atomic Shrimp (scam baiting, plus loads of other random stuff)
Call me Kevin (funny and varied gaming videos)
Also a bunch of more niche channels that do stuff related to A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of thrones (eg Preston Jacobs), and hill walking & Trekking videos (eg Scotland's mountains).

I go through phases too, where I'll discover a new topic and watch videos about that for a while then move on. Eg recently started watching videos about theme parks and roller coasters (channels like Defunctland and ElToroRyan). Before that it was 20th century warships (eg Drachinfel).

There's so much on YouTube, could (and occasionally do) spend all day on it! Find most of the channels I'm subscribed to so much more compelling than most stuff on broadcast TV.

If you Google it there are all sorts of dodgy stories around about past behaviours, youtube videos covering it as well.

Have you watched his first ever (at least first one still on his channel) video? Personally find it really creepy, bit of an insight into part of his mind perhaps. Especially considering the stories about potential sexual misconduct, shall we say. He does / has done collabs with people who have strong 'dodgy' undertones too, eg Irish partizan. Odd that these people seem drawn together.....

There's arguments to be had about what's just conjecture based on circumstances and unverified stories and what seems likely to be true, but personally couldn't watch any more of his videos and enjoy them after some of what I read. Aside from the baggage, once I started thinking about some of what he says and does with a less sympathetic eye he just started to come across as a bit thoughtless of other people and a bit of a ****.

Okay watched his first video and yeah a bit of a creep but I don't think liking women and flirting is illegal. He's single and a free man travelling. Obviously he's going to be a bit of a player. It's obvious he was banging the 2 Belarusian girls in his videos. Well I hope he was banging the brunette hairdresser, the other one alincyk it's pretty obvious he's getting it on with bit she's not as hot as the other one.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe recording it and the comments are a bit off but it makes for good content. He's always trying to chat up women and being ignored in India it's a bit of a running theme and funny.

Also Harald baldr has some videos in Vietnam is it with some really fat American who's banging some young skinny Vietnamese chick.

Single guys are gonna do that kind of stuff when on holiday even more so in poor countries where it costs pennies to buy.

They are making a ton of money and he seems to have cleaned up his act in that regard. I haven't seen anything like that first video in any of his latest content.

Obviously they do hottie breaks and stuff when a fit girl walks past but if anything I respect them more for being themselves. I know plenty of mates who do the same stuff both inside and outside of work even. Like we need to talk about what X is wearing today (was skin tight leather jeggings).

As long as he isn't abusing anyone or anything it's all banter. But I know the #metoo movement is strong these days.

Commissario
Youtube is strange, for some reason a video of a couple of people travelling around the UK canal network was one of my 'recommended' videos and I'm really enjoying it, it's so relaxing.

Permabanned
Youtube is strange, for some reason a video of a couple of people travelling around the UK canal network was one of my 'recommended' videos and I'm really enjoying it, it's so relaxing.

The algorithm owns. Currently it's just spamming me Dave Chappelle stuff and I love it.

Caporegime
GOML noobs :D

(I use a chrome cast to watch on TV and it just keeps playing even when the telly is off, hence these ridiculous figures :p)

khaiMt6_d.webp

And for those of you who don't fully appreciate some of the stuff on youtube, here's a, good example of some of the quality which can be found on there:

Associate
I now watch YouTube as much as TV/films. Once you find some good channels to subscribe to there's always a few things to watch every day. It was one of the reasons I ditched my TV licence and stopped watching any of the crap on live TV

Soldato
I find I'm watching YouTube more recently. I'm subscribed to a few channels on subjects I'm interested in and there's normally a few quality videos each day. I'd rather watch a few videos on YouTube than most of the dross on TV, and a lot of the videos are 10-30 minutes, so fit in with other things.

I mostly watch streamed content otherwise, which we generally both want to watch, so YouTube fits nicely when the Mrs is doing other things.

It's not all videos of cats and "epic fails"... A lot of it is well produced content.

Soldato
not a surprise at all this statistic
i spend far too long watching my mechanics channel :eek:

sucks YT are pushing the ads like a madman these days
i don't want to subscribe, i'll end up watching even more :rolleyes:

Soldato
how do you find your watch time?

In case you didn't figure it out, you've gotta load the youtube app in android/ios, don't think it's present on windows (couldn't find it). Which also begs the question whether it tracks any viewing usage on anything other than mobile device.

@stockhausen i bet you were in for a shock when the majority of people who have replied have watched well over 46 minutes per day. It's hardly surprising though, YouTube has billions of hours of content, and you can pretty much watch whatever you want whenever you want. Unlike TV where you might have a hundred channels or so, and get lumped with the same schedules day-in day-out.

I suspect live TV has pretty much had its day now, give it another 10 years and everything will just be on-demand based. There's no actual need for majority of stuff to be on "live TV". Most people used to watch live TV for things like the news or Soaps - news is pretty much a 24/7 thing, but Soaps could just be released to its on-demand platform at scheduled intervals and then people can choose to play them immediately, or several hours/days later.

Back
Top Bottom