The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
As a result of the Authority searches? Do you have any public rights of way, errors in party walls, live on a flood plane, recently done building work without getting consent etc?

If not, then there really shouldn't be anything to worry about. The buyer can always pull out regardless. As can you.

Soldato
lollers.

Searches came in this morning. Cue solicitors scrambling around trying to make exchange and completion happen today. Seller is on the phone to the estate agent in tears every 5 minutes.

What an absolute joke.

Soldato
lollers.

Searches came in this morning. Cue solicitors scrambling around trying to make exchange and completion happen today. Seller is on the phone to the estate agent in tears every 5 minutes.

What an absolute joke.
Sounds like an absolute **** show. Hope it all works out - moving days are stressful... our bank transfer didn't happen until 5.59pm on the day meaning that we'd already moved in, and the sellers accountant was talking of penalty fees.

Hope it goes smoothly

Soldato
I’m currently sat in my car in a car park waiting for a call to confirm we have completed on our purchase......

god knows how long this is going to take

Soldato
I remember sitting in a lorry i hired myself, all packed up, waiting until 5pm for the call. Even then, the money still was delayed but, as our solicitor and the sellers solicitor were good friends, we were allowed to complete the move. The money went through the morning after!

Soldato
Speaking of searches, I need a little advice regarding the results from the flood section if possible.

To summarise:

2.01 River and Sea Flood Risk - PASS
No risk of flooding from River or Sea within 25 metres of the property.

2.02 Surface Water Flood Risk - PASS
The property is located 3 metres from an area where the surface water flood risk is low to moderate.

2.03 Groundwater Flooding - PASS (WITH CONSIDERATIONS)

The property is located within 5 metres of an area that has at least a 1% annual chance of peak groundwater levels reaching close to the ground surface. Within this zone there is a high risk of groundwater flooding to subsurface assets and an additional possibility of local ground water emergence.

CONSIDERATIONS: As part of our commitment to facilitating property transactions, and pursuant to Law Society good practice guidance, we offer an affordable manual flood risk review service to help where a ‘Further Action’ has been identified in this initial flood assessment. The cost of this review is £150+VAT.

2.04 Surface Water Features - PASS
The Ordnance Survey Map indicates that the property is not located within 250 metres of a body of surface water, such as a stream, river, canal, reservoir, lake or pond.

2.05 JBA Floodability Rating - PASS
The JBA Floodability Rating at this location is Green. Green indicates that the likelihood of flooding is Low.

2.06 Historic Flooding - PASS
Data provided by the Environment Agency indicates that the property is not in or within 250 metres of an area that has flooded in the past. This includes all types of flooding, including Groundwater.

The overall floodability rating of the property is green/low, which is great, but this seems to contradict the result of 2.03 groundwater flooding, even though it was taken into consideration (as confirmed in the report and when I called them). There has been no history of flooding at the property nor within a 250 metre vicinity, as confirmed by the Environment Agency in 2.06. We asked our solicitor to query the sellers to see if there have been any instances of flooding at the property but we are still waiting for the response.

I checked the Gov flood map for planning and the area is not within flood zone 2 or 3. I also checked the Gov long term flood risk for an area, which shows surface water as medium risk + rivers and sea as very low risk. Upon closer inspection of the map, there is zero high risk: depth on the street or property, a tiny amount of medium risk: depth on the street but not the property and a larger amount of low risk: depth on the street but again not the property (which looks like below 300mm).

Finally, we posted on the local Facebook group asking residents for details of any historic flooding events. The majority of responses, even from people who live on the street we're buying on, all said that there have been no incidents of flooding in recent history. A couple of residents mentioned that during extreme storms, water can pool on the street but it does not flow over the kirb and it tends to drain quite quickly. This seems to align with what is shown on the long term flood risk map:

High risk:

q95iJOM.jpg

Medium risk:

w1MpxHZ.jpg

Low risk:

btRLgRn.jpg

Key:

9NcKBXb.jpg

Firstly, I'm trying to figure out if the above is genuine cause for concern? Secondly, depending on the answer to the first question, whether it's worth going for the flood risk review at a cost of £150 + VAT?

I just need another set of eyes as I'm starting to lose my mind with this!

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the same with mine (High Groundwater Flood) but after posting on FB group not one person had any problem with any flooding. I think Groundwater flood is only really a problem if you have a basement in the property (Mine doesn't have basement)

Back
Top Bottom