Sporting events that you are still upset by in terms of the result

Associate
Arsenal beating Liverpool 2-0 to win the league in 89, I was 9 and I cried. Don't remember much about our success before that so this is my first real memory of Liverpool battling for the title.

As far as individuals go, I thought about White before clicking on the thread as well Damon Hill losing the win on the last lap at the 97 Hungary GP.
funny you say that, as that was actually one of the best , if not THE best sporting memory I have!

Michael Thomas, can never forget that goal!!

Caporegime
Football (England):
1990 World Cup semi final
1996 Euro semi final
1998 World Cup round of 16
2004 Euro quarter final

All for different reasons.

90 - Gazza so close
96 - should’ve won the competition, it being on home soil this hurt
98 - going out on penalties
04 - Disallowed goal in the last minute

Associate
As a Liverpool fan born in '85 there were many painful moments but the last couple of years have banished them. For some reason I was an Italy fan in my younger years so the '94 World Cup and '00 Euro final losses were tough. Again, the '06 World Cup was cathartic.

Many moments in tennis. Being a Del Potro fan is tough, so many injuries and losses in epic encounters. Wimbledon 2013 SF, 2012 Olympics SF, Wimbledon 2018 QF.

Rugby, Wales losing to France in '11. That took a long time to get over.

Caporegime
Many moments in tennis. Being a Del Potro fan is tough, so many injuries and losses in epic encounters. Wimbledon 2013 SF, 2012 Olympics SF, Wimbledon 2018 QF.
Weird that you mentioned his 2012 semi final loss but not his 2016 final defeat. As much as I like Murray, I was hoping DP would win and sort of expected it after he beat Djokovic and Nadal on the way to the final.

Edit: I still think one of the reasons Federer has stuck around is because of the Olympics.

Associate
Weird that you mentioned his 2012 semi final loss but not his 2016 final defeat.

That was because I like Murray, and the fact I hadn't expected him to get that far in 2016, especially after he drew Djokovic in the first round (what a performance to defeat him). In both 2012 Olympics and 2013 Wimbledon Murray may have benefitted from Del Potro's efforts too, Fed looked shattered in the Olympics final, and I do wonder whether physically Djokovic was affected at Wimbledon too, especially because it was such a hot day.

Funny story regarding Murray winning Wimbledon that year. I was watching at a workmates house with another friend of his. I became increasingly excited and animated as Murray win each set but my companions did the opposite. I knew they liked Murray so couldn't understand why, and when he won they both looked pale while I was celebrating. Turns out they'd both put massive bets on Djokovic! They couldn't dampen my enjoyment.

Soldato
Good thread this.

Euro 96 semi final still kills me. More so Gazza missing the ball while sliding in than the penalty shoot out loss weirdly. I'm still annoyed by Beckham's sending off in '98 as well.

Hamilton sliding off in China when McLaren unnecessarily gambled with his pit stop really still bothers me as he should be going clear of Schumacher's record this year. Rosberg nicking a championship then immediately quitting also rankles!

Oh, and obviously the most important one, us throwing a 12pt lead away and Keegan having a meltdown back in 95-96. That still hurts, bad. Losing to Liverpool 4-3, and a few games before watching Man Utd beat us 1-0 at home was awful.

Associate
Damon Hill 1997 Hungarian GP... the car failing on penultimate lap due to a 50p part breaking and limping home to 2nd when it should have been a win by +30s... Salty? MUCH!

Soldato
Damon Hill 1997 Hungarian GP... the car failing on penultimate lap due to a 50p part breaking and limping home to 2nd when it should have been a win by +30s... Salty? MUCH!

In a car that had absolutely no right being near the front of the grid and was 7+ seconds off the pace in the first race of the season. That one was heartbreaking. Arrows never did win a race in their history.

Associate
He scored points at
In a car that had absolutely no right being near the front of the grid and was 7+ seconds off the pace in the first race of the season. That one was heartbreaking. Arrows never did win a race in their history.

True on the first part (the Bridgestone tyres worked super well in Hungary) but was not 7s off the pace.. he'd not have qualified on most circuits if he was (107% rule)... I looked at next 2 race qualifying and he was 0.7s off pole and 1.1s off pole in next 2 races....

It was a heartbreaker though for sure... Damon drove beautifully that day....

Another F1 event that still bugs me is 2001 Brazil when JPM blitzed past The Michael and was undone by Jos Verstappen driving into the back of him when he was passed as a back marker...

Soldato
True on the first part (the Bridgestone tyres worked super well in Hungary) but was not 7s off the pace.. he'd not have qualified on most circuits if he was (107% rule)... I looked at next 2 race qualifying and he was 0.7s off pole and 1.1s off pole in next 2 races....

I said the first race of the season - Damon was 5.4s off pole and Diniz was 6.6s off, Diniz was outside the 107% time in fact!

Soldato
Plenty of good ones mentioned above (Jimmy losing that final :()

Another one that springs to mind, Tom Watson 2009 Open pretty much led or was in the top 2 for the whole 4 rounds at 59 years old (Makes Lefty look like a whipper snapper!), missed an 8 footer on the final green to win the championship and then lost the playoff :( winning a major at 59 would be a record never beaten imo.

Man of Honour
France beating Brazil 1998 WC Final...

That one was sweet pain for me, I treated the bar in “The Ship” Rotherhithe when we won that one, it could have been worse, but there were only about 25 people in the pub.
On that note I’m still trying to come to terms with being knocked out of the recent Euros by Switzerland.
One of the worst for me was Gerrard’s goal in the 90th minute against West Ham in the 2006 F.A. Cup Final, Liverpool went on to win on penalties.

Back
Top Bottom