Shucked 12 or 14TB Hard Drives any good (for a NAS)?

Soldato
Brilliant - thank you very much.

Ordered a 14TB, which should keep me going for a bit :D.

Ah right - I have something similar.

I tried Plex but, for some reason, could not get on with it. I ended up using Kodi with a shared MySQL databse on my server.

I've got a couple of full height 5.25" 40 MB hard drives if you want them.

Soldato
I keep thinking about a NAS because I want centralised storage for things I may use across 2 computers, but the transfer rates are what I'm not sure about, on a WiFi6 network 5Ghz but still seem to get slow transfers sometimes?

Soldato
I keep thinking about a NAS because I want centralised storage for things I may use across 2 computers, but the transfer rates are what I'm not sure about, on a WiFi6 network 5Ghz but still seem to get slow transfers sometimes?

Quite a few variables to consider using WiFi but you’re always going to be limited be the read/write of the drives in your centralised storage and the physical connection to your router or switch.

You can get around this in Unraid by adding a SSD or nvme cache. Any transfers go straight onto the cache then late at night (or whenever you set it to) will move over to the array.

You’re then limited by network/cable/ethernet speeds which is when 10gbe becomes attractive.

Can't type for toffee
Don
From what I've read the WD Black 12TB D10 Game Drive for Xbox One houses a Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC520
The Xbox Game drives can be had fro pretty much half the cost of the actual drives, work that one out lol

Soldato
The whole concept of shucking is crazy

just did exactly this with
A
Pair of 6tb myBooks pretty much a 50% saving over buying bare drives

Soldato
So basically setting up NAS is going to be expensive initially?

Self build and then it can be as expensive and custom as you’d like it to be. If just for storage, you can repurpose an old ITX board and a low power CPU. As long as the board has enough SATA ports for the future, you can then add more storage as you need to.

Soldato
Self build and then it can be as expensive and custom as you’d like it to be. If just for storage, you can repurpose an old ITX board and a low power CPU. As long as the board has enough SATA ports for the future, you can then add more storage as you need to.

Think I'll wait until I have plenty of disposable income before I do this, it's a nice to have I think not an essential at the moment, definitely would improve multi device storage though.

Soldato
Think I'll wait until I have plenty of disposable income before I do this, it's a nice to have I think not an essential at the moment, definitely would improve multi device storage though.

Yep getting carried away is easily done so disposable income is pretty much a must. The storage alone wasn’t enough for me, so a 20 core Xeon was purchased. You can probably imagine which way it went from there :D

Soldato
thing is repurposing old builds or hitting ebay and the like for second hand stuff especially enterprise grade kit is by far and away the most fun part :)

although i'm fortunate enough that my play rigs live at work where i dont pay the leccy bills (3x 12 cor mac pros in the office running 24/7 for example
theres also an idea about utilising the fact we have fibre in the office and at home and sitting a plex server in the office :)

Soldato
I have an old Celeron 1.2Ghz at my parents, 384mb ram, but then again, as I'm writing this, it only has PCI and no SATA so that'll be useless!, I did have an old E8400 with P5Q-E motherboard and 8 gig of DDR2 ram in an Antec P182 , by dad SENT IT TO THE SCRAP YEARD!

Permabanned
I have an old Celeron 1.2Ghz at my parents, 384mb ram, but then again, as I'm writing this, it only has PCI and no SATA so that'll be useless!, I did have an old E8400 with P5Q-E motherboard and 8 gig of DDR2 ram in an Antec P182 , by dad SENT IT TO THE SCRAP YEARD!

Smart man, your dad - he knows you should have got a Q6600 instead ;)

~cw

~cw

Associate
Oops, inadvertently did a naughty thing. So without the naughty links,

WD Elements 14 TB drives are readily available now. I'm already borderline full on the 4TB WD Black - wondering what to go for next for bulk storage for edit projects and so on. Or to upgrade my (very) old ReadyNAS Ultra which still has 2x2 TB WD Greens, one of which is slowly incrementing its unrecoverable sector count...

Reddit seems to have come to the consensus earlier this year that they're decent speed 5400 rpm drives, WD140EDFZ. Anyone used those in anger?
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/elels8/wd_my_book_14_tb_shucked_wd140edfz_us7sap140/
I removed the link to the thread discussing WD 12 and 14 TBs as people are linking to Amazon in the comments, that got me in trouble first time!

I've also noticed the 12 TBs are marginally cheaper, but both are considerably cheaper than the Western Digital HC range - granted a faster RPM, but £/TB value worth it for bulk storage?

Back
Top Bottom