• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I'm going to kind of miss this thread once I eventually get my card. Looking through all of the complaints and discussions here has become part of my daily routine.

Personally, I'm waiting till December to see how the Gigabyte Gaming OC queue moves. By late December depending on Brexit etc. as a RoI customer there's just no way I'm paying import duties on the card. So I might just have to cancel and look for an EU retailer once there's better availability, or maybe even jump ship to AMD.

It doesn't seem logical to me that OC would keep taking pre-orders if they didn't have a reasonable expectation that they could expect deliveries of stock to ramp up significantly throughout late Oct and Nov though. Why would they burn through all that customer good-will if they didn't know that the shortages would be temporary?

My current suspicion is that the extent of the lack of stock close to launch was unexpected, but that OC have some assurances that the situation will improve significantly before the end of the year. Hence continuing to take pre-orders. I can't think of another explanation that makes any sense from a business perspective.

I hope I'm right. Fingers crossed. Best of luck to everyone else who's waiting right now. Keep your chins up. Either things will ramp up and we'll all be happier by Christmas or they won't. Either way it's still not the worst thing that could happen to you in 2020.

Associate
I am currently 12th in the queue for Asus TUF OC, I ordered on release day, I think my transaction finally went through around 3pm. At this rate, I will probably have all the details on Big Navi before I receive my card. If big Navi competes well, is available and has a good price, I may just cancel my order (or return the Asus tuf, if by some miracle I have it by then) and go with AMD this round. I think Nvidia has completely shot themselves in the foot with this launch.

Associate
For anyone in the msi gaming trio queue, if another make / model sorts their supply out and sits in stock to be ordered which model would you happily buy instead?

Associate
For anyone in the msi gaming trio queue, if another make / model sorts their supply out and sits in stock to be ordered which model would you happily buy instead?
at this point any :) - tbf theres not a HUGE amount of difference between them all and they're all MILES ahead of any of the 2080 so any 3080 would be a good shout imho.

Associate
@BountyNunes @LostPenguins

Have you two had your cards yet? Not seen an update to the queue sheet so just wondering. I've moved from position 18 to 10. Once again tried sending private messages but they don't work.

Card should be here in the next couple of hours, sadly I still have work to do but I'll be setting it up this evening.
I'll update the queue sheet soon.

Associate
you shouldn't judge others like that. Some people spend fortunes on smoking, drinking, going out, gambling etc etc. Somebody who does none of that could quite easily afford a gpu id imagine. With the wait priorites may change. Some people might have been down for gpu and ps5 but when the ps5 comes along might decide the gpu cash is better spent elsewhere. Lots of ifs, buts and maybes :p - If the option is there to cancel then the money is easily allocated elsewhere that might become slightly more important coming up to xmas :)

For people that think credit is bad. Do you have a mortgage or car finance or even a store card? I bet most people have some form of credit even if they don't consider it credit. Each to their own.

The comments regarding finance in this thread should be merely to point out the difficulties once tied in of cancelling a gpu. How/why people use finance is nobody's concern but theirs :)

I don't think it's a judgement of what you spend your money on, most of us here are gamers otherwise we wouldn't want the card, I think it's just more the risk that comes with getting credit for luxury goods instead of waiting until you can afford it. Credit is risky because circumstances can change and this isn't a dig at anyone specifically but as society gets more used to credit and the risk, what ends up happening is it gets out of control with spending and then we decide let the government bail us out with tax money, which punishes us all, that's precisely what happened in 2008 with a housing bubble. Credit and personal risk is fine but the temptation to turn that from a private debt into a public one I have a share in, that's really lame. People who are very responsible with their money who make judgement are typically holding other people to standards no higher than they hold themselves.

Debt for an asset is a different thing, if a car can enables you to work places you otherwise couldn't or a house stops you paying rent and allows you to invest in an asset that appreciates on average, then that's a different story as those things have a ROI. But to take debt out to buy luxuries is just silly. Another person just said that it's the only way to afford stuff and that's just wrong, the fact that people think that is kinda depressing. You could defer gratification for a bit, save that money and buy things outright once you can afford it and you avoid all the interest payments which makes life cheaper for you.

The fact that people would also do this during these times where the economy is on the brink of serious collapose, the furlough scheme is about to end and loads of redundancies are on the way, the unemployment is expected to skyrocket which in turn will make other businesses struggle, it's not good. It only takes probably a year of so of being frugal, putting your savings into a savings account to flip from purchasing your luxuries on debt to purchasing them on your own savings is not that hard and it'll save you so much money in the long run, national cost of debt in the UK is huge, all for the sake of a year or so of deferring gratification, it's mental.

Soldato
Have a preorder for the MSI Trio X, and am currently 594 in the que. Barely down anything in about two weeks since the last update. Seriously considering cancelling now and forgetting about the new range of GPU's until at least April or later. Having used Overclockers since 2004 I have to admit I have found their customer service very disappointing on this occasion. Previous to this I have had no issues in all these years.

Associate
How would that make any sense considering MORE people bought the non oc Zotac's?
binning is my guess. Even if they have fewer OC orders then the OC orders will still get fullfilled first. Its more profit for essentially the same product. The non-oc will likely get the chips that didnt make the cut on OC cards.

Associate
"Shipments for September will be small.
October will have an initial delay due to Golden Week in Asia during 4-9th October causing a production delay, but then production volumes will improve, but we are not seeing any numbers yet.
November and December are currently unknown but in theory should be larger volumes."

That's from Gibbo's 2nd post on the RTX 3080 Update thread
the words theory, should and unknown don't exactly instill confidence though do they?

Back
Top Bottom