LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
To anyone with a cx and a 20xx series card, can you get 4k@120 with gsync working?

Just got mine and it's lovely, but while gsync works in every other mode it doesn't activate in games at 4k120 although the TV does say 'instant game response is launched'

Soldato
To anyone with a cx and a 20xx series card, can you get 4k@120 with gsync working?

Just got mine and it's lovely, but while gsync works in every other mode it doesn't activate in games at 4k120 although the TV does say 'instant game response is launched'

You need a 3000 series card with HDMI 2.1 for it to work and I dont think even with one of those the firmware n the TV is available yet. I think you can lower the colour chroma but I think with your card it's 1440p for 120hz unfortunately. And getting a 3000 series card is hard unless you pay over the top to a scalper.

Associate
You need a 3000 series card with HDMI 2.1 for it to work and I dont think even with one of those the firmware n the TV is available yet. I think you can lower the colour chroma but I think with your card it's 1440p for 120hz unfortunately. And getting a 3000 series card is hard unless you pay over the top to a scalper.

With HDMI 2.0b I can run 4k120 on my 2080ti at 4:2:0 I knew HDR was out of the question but I'm sure I read somewhere that g-sync should still work... Or course I can't find where I read that now so maybe I dreamt it...

Soldato
I really don’t think that price is going to translate to a real U.K. or US price. I’d predict £2500 max. Still super expensive for sure, but not $6500 :)

Just saw the update on Videocards, they got the spec wrong, it has no HDMI 2.1! So I take back my words, not a CX48 competitor.

Spending that much on a 32" big screen monitor, you expect it to have HDMI 2.1, especially with the new consoles pretty much here.

Yet another example of PC monitors being years behind the top end TV's, sigh.

Soldato
Just saw the update on Videocards, they got the spec wrong, it has no HDMI 2.1! So I take back my words, not a CX48 competitor.

Spending that much on a 32" big screen monitor, you expect it to have HDMI 2.1, especially with the new consoles pretty much here.

Yet another example of PC monitors being years behind the top end TV's, sigh.

It's a VERY odd decision. I don't know if that's baked into the spec already and can't be changed, but the upcoming Viewsonic ELITE XG320U has HDMI 2.1 (and overall a decent spec for the purported price), and the Philips 328M1R was delayed to allow for 2.1 inclusion. For a flagship halo product such as the PG32UQX to not include HDMI 2.1 strikes me as very bizarre and short sighted. :confused:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
You can't compare a LED to OLED when OLED have ink blacks and the highest number of dimming zones you’ll get on a high end LED TV/monitor with FALD is about 384-600. A long way short of the 8 million completely independently dimmable pixels an OLED has!, The PG32UQX is 4ms GtG when the CX is 1ms also OLED TV provide an Infinite Contrast Ratio compare to a PC Monitor at 1000:1 and therefore also an Infinite Dynamic Range in picture content, but at a lower Peak Brightness.

In future when MicroLED TV hits the market it will have immune to burn-in, and in the long run, less expensive to make than OLED.

Size is a big factor. 48" is just too big for most people in a desktop set-up, and if it's a mixed use monitor that will be used a lot for productivity, web browsing etc. OLED is far from ideal given the burn-in risk, and a glossy screen which isn't ideal in a well lit room during daytime use. I can see the Asus being a very appealing option for those who find the OLED impractical. There's no doubt OLED will crush it when it comes to those blacks though.

Forget Micro-LED, a good decade away probably, at a size, spec and price to compete in this market space anyway.

That is exactly why I want to compare it, so I can tell my LG CX OLED you are still the best :p but I don't always believe better hardware or specs equal a better product just depends on your usage, my ancient LED panel certainly had the advantage of smaller size, id say its SD scaling was better or maybe Oleds are revealing just how bad SD source flaws are, better during day time use and with multiple windows in the room. There will always be pros and cons to hardware, some people are still better suited to sticking to LED tech over OLED.

There is a guy over on Avforums and I felt gutted for him, he has spent all this time and money and wall mounted his precious LG CX oled and due to the Windows in his room its shining directly onto it making it pretty much unusable during the day, so he is returning it.

It's not really his fault though, an average customer spending 2K+ on a TV it's not like it has a sticky tag on it saying best used in dark rooms, he is probably thinking why would someone make something like this:o

Last edited:
Soldato
That is exactly why I want to compare it, so I can tell my LG CX OLED you are still the best :p but I don't always believe better hardware or specs equal a better product just depends on your usage, my ancient LED panel certainly had the advantage of smaller size, id say its SD scaling was better or maybe Oleds are revealing just how bad SD source flaws are, better during day time use and with multiple windows in the room. There will always be pros and cons to hardware, some people are still better suited to sticking to LED tech over OLED.

There is a guy over on Avforums and I felt gutted for him, he has spent all this time and money and wall mounted his previous LG CX oled and due to the Windows in his room its shining directly onto it making it pretty much unusable during the day, so he is returning it.

It's not really his fault though, an average customer spending 2K+ on a TV it's not like it has a sticky tag on it saying best used in dark rooms, he is probably thinking why would someone make something like this:o

TBH, if someone goes to all the effort of wall mounting a TV which OBVIOUSLY has an extremely reflective surface (I have a B9 myself and it really does), in a room that has multiple windows (something they are also going to be obviously aware of), only to THEN realise they have a problem with reflections... well, I really don't have much sympathy personally, and it absolutely is his fault for not using common sense here.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
TBH, if someone goes to all the effort of wall mounting a TV which OBVIOUSLY has an extremely reflective surface (I have a B9 myself and it really does), in a room that has multiple windows (something they are also going to be obviously aware of), only to THEN realise they have a problem with reflections... well, I really don't have much sympathy personally, and it absolutely is his fault for not using common sense here.

It's easier to say this in hindsight surely ? If I spent all that money and time and finally got the TV and noticed the reflections, id still pop it up on the wall mount and try and do everything I could to get around the problem or at least see if it's manageable.

I know many even went out and got blinds over curtains or moved to tinted spotlights/bulbs or adjusted the wall mount angle.

Man of Honour
It's a VERY odd decision. I don't know if that's baked into the spec already and can't be changed, but the upcoming Viewsonic ELITE XG320U has HDMI 2.1 (and overall a decent spec for the purported price), and the Philips 328M1R was delayed to allow for 2.1 inclusion. For a flagship halo product such as the PG32UQX to not include HDMI 2.1 strikes me as very bizarre and short sighted. :confused:
I don’t think this is necessarily down to Asus. It might be an NVIDIA limitation as HDMI 2.1 would need a brand new Gsync module (which this screen uses). I’d expect the first HDMI 2.1 monitors to be adaptive sync models as opposed to native Gsync

Associate
is needed

There is a guy over on Avforums and I felt gutted for him, he has spent all this time and money and wall mounted his precious LG CX oled and due to the Windows in his room its shining directly onto it making it pretty much unusable during the day, so he is returning it.

OLEDs have always had a glossy screen, and when you take the LG, CX out of the box you can see it, the common senses is needed here not to place in near a window did he not think before he wall mounted it in the right area of the room! or even cover his windows in day time! what an idiot I bet he couldn't understand how to fix the reflection problem so now he is return it? he reminds me of the idiots that returns a mobile phone because they can't see it in the day time I have no sympathy for idiots

About a OLED
Bright or Dark, the ambiance in your room makes a huge difference to your TV’s performance. Your hard-earned money will go down the drain if the lightning of the room isn’t considered before purchase.

TV's don't need to display a sticky tag on it saying best used in dark rooms, just common senses is needed:)

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
is needed

OLEDs have always had a glossy screen, and when you take the LG, CX out of the box you can see it, the common senses is needed here not to place in near a window did he not think before he wall mounted it in the right area of the room! or even cover his windows in day time! what an idiot I bet he couldn't understand how to fix the reflection problem so now he is return it? he reminds me of the idiots that returns a mobile phone because they can't see it in the day time I have no sympathy for idiots

About a OLED
Bright or Dark, the ambiance in your room makes a huge difference to your TV’s performance. Your hard-earned money will go down the drain if the lightning of the room isn’t considered before purchase.

TV's don't need to display a sticky tag on it saying best used in dark rooms, just common senses is needed:)

lol Aorus your quick edit :p

my goodness that poor fella, probably taken a sledgehammer towards his screen or window by now

Associate
Size is a big factor. 48" is just too big for most people in a desktop set-up, and if it's a mixed use monitor that will be used a lot for productivity, web browsing etc. OLED is far from ideal given the burn-in risk, and a glossy screen which isn't ideal in a well lit room during daytime use. I can see the Asus being a very appealing option for those who find the OLED impractical. There's no doubt OLED will crush it when it comes to those blacks though.

Forget Micro-LED, a good decade away probably, at a size, spec and price to compete in this market space anyway.

32/48inch is too small for me if I had more space I would have gone for a 65inch gaming but in the end I had to go for a CX 55inch desktop, I will never go backwards only forwards, you talk about the burn in risk you mean the Rings.com test right! and they test OLEDs they had over three years ago, it was said by LG "The CX 2020 TV can identify when there's an element that's static, and gently lowers the brightness of the pixels with the logo on (on those in very close proximity). By toning down the logo, the likelihood of the image being burned in is massively lowered – super-simple, and promises to be super-effective. it wait for two minutes before it starts dimming, and then lowers the brightness by up to 20%, over the course of around 90 seconds. It then stays at the lower brightness"

LG, already made a Micro LED TV, the LG MAGNIT is a modular 163-inch screen and Samsung 75inch Micro LED at CES 2020 so it's not a decade away and it will cost much less then a OLED to make.

Associate
lol Aorus your quick edit :p

my goodness that poor fella, probably taken a sledgehammer towards his screen or window by now

I don't think it would be easy to return a OLED because of reflections poor fella NO:eek: and I don't think he knows how to use a sledgehammer then again he might return it and say he pick it up and it hit his window but don't know why Lol:D

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

After reading most of the thread I have decided this may be the TV/Monitor I am looking, For gaming on PC I play World of Warcraft with a bit of browsing and will be using with the PS5 currently on pre order, means I can plan downstairs without the wife and kids moaning about me using the Family TV for the PS5 or that I have disappeared upstairs all night and can still use it for pc gaming. I currently use a LG 38GL950 38" 3840x1600 NANO IPS 144Hz and a 2080Ti which I plan on upgrading but waiting to see what AMD bring to the table.

How is everyone finding use the TV as a monitor ?

Thanks Craig

Soldato
Hi all,

After reading most of the thread I have decided this may be the TV/Monitor I am looking, For gaming on PC I play World of Warcraft with a bit of browsing and will be using with the PS5 currently on pre order, means I can plan downstairs without the wife and kids moaning about me using the Family TV for the PS5 or that I have disappeared upstairs all night and can still use it for pc gaming. I currently use a LG 38GL950 38" 3840x1600 NANO IPS 144Hz and a 2080Ti which I plan on upgrading but waiting to see what AMD bring to the table.

Thanks Craig

Id image they are getting on a lot better than those with a highend “master race” spec gaming monitor.

Soldato
Hi all,

Thanks Craig

Very usable. I'm sitting back about 80cm and text is sharp & clear. It can be a bit big full screen when browsing but I just make a 30" window ;) For work it comes in handy for viewing excel spreadsheets or workflow trees. Love it. Here it is split into 4 frames using power toys.

VN3EdP3.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom