Old Seasonic X-650 seems to have gave its last breath!

Associate
This may well get some of you in recent threads about sticking with old PSU's thinking is it worth it.

Well last night, sitting in Steel Hunter game mode, well behind sitting at lvl 6 (world of Tanks), simply due to not having time to play.

Anyway, headset on, playing away like a happy tanker does, and no noise, well headset on but, well the screen goes black.

At 1st I think restart? Look over, all is off, RGB lights, motherboard lights, gpu lights, case lights, no restart.

Switch psu on and off. Nothing.
Unplug power cord n plug it into another pc, all fine.
Replug in my pc, it powers up, unplug power cable, to redress the cable into the mains adapter, dead again.
Notice when I use the PSU switch there is a cackle, notice sometimes a red led at the lower end of the MB gets some power, sometimes.

Have had one random shut down, a couple of reboots due to failed overclock on a light OC when system is powered up, and restarts when powering down. Its a pre Haswel psu, bought just after Custom PC reviewed the unit upon release, so an old well used unit that seen three pc's.

I am hoping it is simply the PSU, and hoping nothing else is damaged, just need to make time today to strip it out and replace it. Old system as in signature.

Wish me luck. I have a PSU that sat under the desk for a year or two to utilise.

Associate
OP
An update to the original post.

Day off today, so took the PC downstairs, dining table, opened up, the old compressed air clean out, removed old PSU and cables, installed a Seasonic Snow Series 650w Platinum that I had bought a year or two ago for another project.

All seems to be working, so far no hardware issues related to a blown PSU, there are cable length issues, well I was lucky to have the EVGA PCI-E bridge connector that moves the cables to the side as these were too short for the old routing, and my Sata cables were a little short and lacking in the number, Lucky I only have 4 connected at the moment plus a single molex for my RGB light system.

Not a lot can be said about replacing power supplies, cables are simply lacking in length and number, not a fan of the flat plastic types too, though I should probably upgrade these cables to CableMod. The actual PSU for this PC was meant to be a CoolerMaster V1000 that has a full set of CableMod cables for this case and GPU, but its sat in my lads PC and I simply could not be bothered stripping out two PSU's and cleaning the dust out two PC's at this time, will get him a new PSU in future and swap then.
My sata devices were also not found, not sure what went on there, unplugging it all and leaving only the OS drive plugged into a different port sorted it, then I unplugged it all and sorted them into order.

One thing that sticks in my head with this, my PC simply turned off, I feel pretty lucky that my PSU did not take anything else with it. I contribute that simply to it being a good PSU brand. I must have bought this PSU around 2009, when it had just been released so its at least 10 yrs old, original guarantee was 5yrs, and it still looks mint, even have the box and cables, sort of a shame it went but like many say, they have a lifespan.

One dissapointment, my Asus Gene VI has since new, shown an 05 error every so often when shut down, sometimes simply restarting when asked to shut down. I had gave up as Asus nor the forums ever had an answer to this issue, so I thought, maybe it will go away when I get a more up to date Haswell ready PSU installed. Sadly, that occasional restart or 05 error is still persistent. Its a motherboard issue that Asus have never been able to supply an answer to.

Back
Top Bottom