Google Pixel 5

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Ordered Pixel 5 from CPW few minutes ago after reading this...

image.png

This T&C is for UK only, there are separate ones for Ireland etc. Just a heads up, as I haven't read them.

Soldato
I've gone from a OnePlus 6T to a Pixel 5 (sick of a merely above average camera, and the USB port was knackered which really highlighted the importance of wireless charging as an option) I'm quite shocked by how svelte the phone is, especially coming from the OP 6T, so I'm definitely looking forward to my case arriving today (Spigen Ultra Hybrid) to bulk it a little, and the screen protector as I'm super paranoid about dropping it.

Performance seems absolutely fine coming from an SD845, and seeing as I'm sure Google will continue to keep it well optimised it will probably stay that way. I don't think I'll miss the higher end Adreno; I used to be a big gamer, and bought phones based on flagship SoCs...but after having kids I've realised if I'm lucky if I get in a quick round of candy crush, never mind any super HDR hi-res console titles while I'm sat on the toilet! There's a huge perceived improvement for me in terms of battery life which is good, and so far I'm very pleased with my switch.

I figured it out as well...by changing back to three button nav at the bottom of the screen!

Soldato
It is difficult. The headphones offer made it easier, but now I have the 5 I'm liking it a lot, and disliking it too much. Currently 7 hours screen on time and 38 percent left! That's nuts how good that is. But the speakers are beyond rubbish. I lean the phone on my chest sometimes when watching stuff, and so am blocking the one decent(ish) speaker this phone has so the audio goes rubbish. Phone calls are also much worse, like the person is speaking behind a window, though with that said 90 percent of my calls are using Bluetooth headset so less of a worry.

I also wish it was an XL size. This is my first non XL phone since nexus 5.

I find the screen also too rounded. Some apps have content slightly cut off as a result.

This sharp charing port really is bugging me too.a case would help this but I've been naked for a few years now. My last cased phone was damaged from the case so avoided them since and love the naked natural feel. It's the way God intended them to be.

You mention the size but the 2xl has the same size screen as the 5

Associate
Ordered 8:50 last night at CPW and delivered at 9:30 this morning :)

Sat here charging on my cheapo wireless charger till i finish work then i can have a play - first android device in years!

Associate
It is difficult. The headphones offer made it easier, but now I have the 5 I'm liking it a lot, and disliking it too much. Currently 7 hours screen on time and 38 percent left! That's nuts how good that is. But the speakers are beyond rubbish. I lean the phone on my chest sometimes when watching stuff, and so am blocking the one decent(ish) speaker this phone has so the audio goes rubbish. Phone calls are also much worse, like the person is speaking behind a window, though with that said 90 percent of my calls are using Bluetooth headset so less of a worry.

I've upgraded from the 2XL to the P5, loving it so far except the speakers, thought I wouldn't mind them at first after comparing youtube playing vs my 2xl, but then later on yesterday evening I had a 6pm zoom work call and I used my pixel's speaker for it as I was cooking dinner, it was quite hard to hear what people were saying, had to get my bluetooth headphones... perhaps this is why they're giving away the headphones, to try and balance out the bad speakers :)

Soldato
My Spigen Ultra Hybrid case arrived from Amazon and it is a very good fit. The clear back is good, and probably a good choice for those that went with the Sage option (mine is black).

Conversely, do not buy the AHABIPERS screen protector, it is far too small and sits off centre on the screen once aligned with the camera...that being said the bad reviews are now racking up for it so I doubt any of you would get them!

Man of Honour
Ha, you say that, but I’ve never had a screen protector, and have never had a broken or badly scratched screen yet :p

Anyway after reading a shed load of opinions and watching a shed load of reviews on youtube tonight, I’m sticking with my 2XL. The 5 looks good, if I needed a new phone, but I don’t, and I don’t feel its good enough as an impulse buy, as I don’t feel it offers enough of an improvement to justify a 600 quid outlay. Maybe next year.

I've never run a screen protector or case on my phones - if it falls and breaks, then I get it fixed or send for a replacement. I've had to do that once only - I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

To be honest, I'm glad I moved from my 2xl, though the smaller size is weird to get used to, but it does feel like an upgrade. A step, not a leap. Am I disappointed? Not really, would I have liked the spec of the One+ 8T with the software and camera capability of the Pixel? Yes. It's a happy compromise for now.

Man of Honour
My Spigen Ultra Hybrid case arrived from Amazon and it is a very good fit. The clear back is good, and probably a good choice for those that went with the Sage option (mine is black).

Conversely, do not buy the AHABIPERS screen protector, it is far too small and sits off centre on the screen once aligned with the camera...that being said the bad reviews are now racking up for it so I doubt any of you would get them!

A pic in the flesh would be nice as I have the sage and would like to see what it looks like - if you could! :)

Soldato
Anyone got one of these working with WiFi calling? If so which network? Virgin Mobile doesn't seem to be compatible.

My contract is coming to an end, I'm happy to move to a network that supports the P5 because the signal in my house is pants.

Back
Top Bottom