Google Pixel 5

Associate
I feel like there's a green haze/fog when the brightness is lowish - Less than 20%. Grey's don't seem grey? As such?

Could be the same issue that plagued the 4 when it originally came out. Gamma/software calibration needed possibly?

Soldato
Well I was finally able to pick it up! Form factor is definitely a step up and didn't think it felt cheap when handling it.

Got a cheap Spigen to put it in at the moment and a Mous coming next month

Happy at the moment but only transfering data at the mo!

Associate
I've never run a screen protector or case on my phones - if it falls and breaks, then I get it fixed or send for a replacement. I've had to do that once only - I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

To be honest, I'm glad I moved from my 2xl, though the smaller size is weird to get used to, but it does feel like an upgrade. A step, not a leap. Am I disappointed? Not really, would I have liked the spec of the One+ 8T with the software and camera capability of the Pixel? Yes. It's a happy compromise for now.

Don’t get me wrong, I would swap my 2XL for a P5 if it didn’t cost me any money :D I feel like it might make a good second hand buy in 6 months or so, assuming nothing else takes my fancy by then.

Give and take ha. Come's with headphone jack.

Fair point, although unless its got some decent electronics behind it, it’s probably gonna sound fairly average and not worth using with any half decent headphones. I’ve already got some nice B&W wireless headphones :)

Well I was finally able to pick it up! Form factor is definitely a step up and didn't think it felt cheap when handling it.

Finally! :D

Soldato
The Amazon reviews both moan about a vent/grill for a top speak that doesn't exist? Does that comment make sense?
There is the tiniest of recesses on the top edge of the case around the screen like it's making way for a speaker grill, but it's barely noticeable and doesn't affect usage in anyway. Probably a hangover from modifying an existing design of case.

Soldato

Now set up and really enjoying the screen size and 90hz :)

Last edited:
Associate
To enable me to get going quicker and give it a try i did the data transfer option - worked a treat.

Now i've had a play (and decided its a keeper!) i may just wipe it and start fresh

Soldato
Associate
I'm up and running with WiFi calling on EE.

Screenshot-20201016-230210-2.png

Soldato
I've gone from a OnePlus 6T to a Pixel 5 (sick of a merely above average camera, and the USB port was knackered which really highlighted the importance of wireless charging as an option) I'm quite shocked by how svelte the phone is, especially coming from the OP 6T, so I'm definitely looking forward to my case arriving today (Spigen Ultra Hybrid) to bulk it a little, and the screen protector as I'm super paranoid about dropping it.

Performance seems absolutely fine coming from an SD845, and seeing as I'm sure Google will continue to keep it well optimised it will probably stay that way. I don't think I'll miss the higher end Adreno; I used to be a big gamer, and bought phones based on flagship SoCs...but after having kids I've realised if I'm lucky if I get in a quick round of candy crush, never mind any super HDR hi-res console titles while I'm sat on the toilet! There's a huge perceived improvement for me in terms of battery life which is good, and so far I'm very pleased with my switch.

I figured it out as well...by changing back to three button nav at the bottom of the screen!

How do you find the speaker quality/volume compared to the 6T?

Soldato
Ok yeah the battery life is tremendous coming from a 4XL...certainly no longer reaching for the charger until the end of the day even with some intensive use and screen on time.

Picked up the Pixel Cover from Google and it adds that small bit of bulk which make the size even better for me actually :) Really impressed with the phone, super snappy, all in I can't complain.

Soldato
Associate
Anyone gone from the normal Pixel 2 to the 5? My Pixel 2 has served me well and still running great except for the battery. I get around 3h 40m SOT on heavy battery saving or about 3h when running normally to 0% and even less if using the camera for photo or video. The speakers are still good and the camera still surprises me 3 years on. I compared it with various flagships over the past few years and it helds its own.

Is the camera a big jump up from the P2? The video was shocking on P2 and hoping it is better now? The battery seems a big step up so should solve that issue if swap out.

Any feedback from P2 > P5 users would be handy.

I could keep the P2 for another year but an upgrade is on the cards soon enough.

Thank you.

P2 to p5 is definitely a worthy upgrade, with the only downside is the speakers, which are a big downside tbh as I'm almost never not blocking them when holding the phone vertically.

Everything else is much better. 9.5 hours screen on time ffs I got the other day. Is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom