Garden Office Power Supply

Caporegime
Perhaps others were referring to a proper insulated job, such as this kind of thing. Whilst it shouldn't be £20k (unless it's massive), it'll definitely be closer to £10k.

Yeah I said £10k for a properly insulated log cabin and £20k for a proper brick build.

He said garden office. No mention of log cabin in OP.

Perhaps others were referring to a proper insulated job, such as this kind of thing. Whilst it shouldn't be £20k (unless it's massive), it'll definitely be closer to £10k.

Ouch thats majorly overpriced
I mean 15mm ship lap on a home office...
Its an insulated shed with lots of glass, Well yeah your going to need to insulate a lot with all that glass

I would bet thats a right mare after a year or two, the timbers will expand and contract a lot.
When you insulate a cabins walls you either make them floating or a cabin in a cabin due to the amount of water wood takes on and looses across the seasons

You would struggle to get that much glass with a cabin as the walls are structural, so if your working on something or just a light person then your going to be forced that way, but thats far from good value for money

Soldato
Thinking of building a garden office but due to where the fuse box is located I've been quoted £700-800 to get an external power supply from the box to the office. I already have an outdoor plug socket, is it feasible to run an amoured extension from this socket to the office, or is this just a terrible idea?

my father in law did that for the shed. tapped into a socket in the kitchen, trunking down the wall and buried the cable then up into the shed. small consumer unit in the shed to run the lights and a few other things.
i have a shed i want to get power to and would like to do something similar if possible. haven't spoke to a spark yet . £900 would be the same cost as my shed!
for a home office where you'll be using a lot of power i guess you might have to go straight from the fuse box...?

Caporegime
What size in sqm are you expecting for those costs as they sound astronomical?!?

https://www.tuin.co.uk/Edelweiss-Log-Cabin-5.1x6.0m.html

It's £10k for the cabin alone. I'll need another £1k for electrical. Maybe £2k for proper insulation or could get the cheap stuff for maybe £200. Then another £500 to board and batten the whole thing inside. Then another £500 to paint if cheap route and buying decent paint otherwise more for plaster. I'll also need to treat the wood externally. Buy extra wood to insulate the roof and DPM material for the floor and also at least £1500 for the foundations because of the weight of the cabin plus the gym equipment inside.

It's not that large either.

Soldato
OP
That's just ridiculous. How is 5x6m "not that large". Its too large for an office where all you're going to do is sit at a desk and work.

Back on Earth and for half the price you can get a 10m2 properly insulated and clad garden office. One example quote I got.

£7500 Includes:
Wooden base with 4x2 joists, insulation in between joists and EPDM under, 18mm OSB on top and laminate flooring.
Decking 500 wide along the front of the building.
Walls 4x2 joists with insulation in between.
11mm external OSB.
DPM membrane all around the building and finished with cladding.
Internal walls and ceiling plasterboarding painted finished (We can also do cladding optionally).
Roof with 6x2 joists insulation in between, 18mm OSB on top, rubber cover on top of OSB.
24 electric points: internal spotlights, external spotlights, sockets, switches and a fuse box all fitted/finished (electric connection to the property main fuse box will cost extra £400)
One 1500x2000 french door.

Concrete base £90 per SQM.

Soldato
https://www.tuin.co.uk/Edelweiss-Log-Cabin-5.1x6.0m.html

It's £10k for the cabin alone. I'll need another £1k for electrical. Maybe £2k for proper insulation or could get the cheap stuff for maybe £200. Then another £500 to board and batten the whole thing inside. Then another £500 to paint if cheap route and buying decent paint otherwise more for plaster. I'll also need to treat the wood externally. Buy extra wood to insulate the roof and DPM material for the floor and also at least £1500 for the foundations because of the weight of the cabin plus the gym equipment inside.

So not a garden office then , but a gym.......also it’s 70mm thick so wouldn’t require extra insulation, your just adding costs to justify your over valuation of the cabin

and for 1k electrical what are you adding a full 3 bedroom rewire.....I mean come on for gods sake

Soldato
Thinking of building a garden office but due to where the fuse box is located I've been quoted £700-800 to get an external power supply from the box to the office. I already have an outdoor plug socket, is it feasible to run an amoured extension from this socket to the office, or is this just a terrible idea?

Yes, that would work. Just do the calculation on length and current to ensure the voltage drop is okay. 4mm², three core armoured is probably fine if you're under around 30m.

Soldato
£700 for a proper set up is literally nothing with it's own dedicated fuse / trip. so you can isolate it easily.

a proper garden office is going to cost what £20K plus to do properly. i think trying to save £500 on proper wiring wouldn't be smart.
Also there is nothing in this post that states 20k for a proper brick building.........your just making things up.

Soldato
That's massive for a garden office!

This year I had one built in the garden, a fair bit smaller at 14sqm but this was a breakdown of the work completed:-

External Works.
* Remove existing shed and decking and remove all debris from site.
* Form Shuttering in order to pour a new piece of concrete, a 1200 gauge visqueen membrane will be laid covering the whole area in order to provide a Damp Proof area and ensuring that there is no damp within the floor area.
* Build frame using 4x2 tantalised timbre at 400 centres and form all openings which will receive doors and glass at a later date.
* Install roof joist, using 6x2 regularised tantalised timbre.
* Protect all external walls with approved moisture barrier / membrane.
* Supply and install Marley board.
* Fit eighteen-millimetre plywood to entirety of roof area.
* Cover roof with two ply torch on mineralised felt and form all drips over edge.
* Install high grade lead flashing between existing building and new building creating a water seal to roof.
* Install white UPVC facias and sofits to the entire build.
* Install full guttering.
* Install windows and doors.
* Build step to shed area.
* Tidy garden areas ensuring good presentation.

Internal Works.
* First fix electrics. Cosumer unit. Four plug sockets internal. 3 external spotlights to sofit board, CAT6 cabling.
* Install insulation material to all walls/ceiling to a depth of 100mm.
* Plaster board walls and ceiling with 12.5mm board.
* Build dividing wall in stud work between main area and shed area.
* Second fix electrics, four double sockets and 4 spotlights to main area, 1 double socket and spotlights in shed area, external double socket.
* Plastering finish of internal walls.
* Install flooring (excluding materials).
* Supply and install architraves and skirting boards to both main area and shed area.
* Ensure all areas of garden effected by any building works are finished to an excellent standard upon completion of works.

Came in a little over 8k, been working from it over the past 10+ weeks in hot, cold and wet weather and its been fantastic.

Soldato
Here's the quote:

Install 1no. Shed supply with 4no. Double socket and 4no. Led down lights

Materials
45m 6mm swa
32a bg breaker
Garage board 2way (16 & 6)
4no double sockets
4no led down lights
Gland pack
100 cleats
2.5 cable
1.0 cable
1no light switch
1no external light supply only (customer supply light)
Total - £752.00

If that price doesn't include VAT and a it includes a certificate then it's very reasonable.

You could do it cheaper. But then an extension reel hanging out the window may also count as the heater when it melts.

Caporegime
So not a garden office then , but a gym.......also it’s 70mm thick so wouldn’t require extra insulation, your just adding costs to justify your over valuation of the cabin

and for 1k electrical what are you adding a full 3 bedroom rewire.....I mean come on for gods sake

I think you might want to go look at the r and u values already posted and the climate.

Proper log cabins which are used as livable habitats are much thicker than that.

I want it to be usable and comfortable all year round otherwise what's the point?

Soldato
I think you might want to go look at the r and u values already posted and the climate.

Proper log cabins which are used as livable habitats are much thicker than that.

I want it to be usable and comfortable all year round otherwise what's the point?
I use mine all year around it’s 28mm tongue and groove cabin, with 25mm internal insulation and plasterboard.......so circa 63mm thick.....with a small heater in the winter it gets way too hot and I live in the welsh valleys.

Caporegime
That cabin sonny linked to its damn nice. It's more like a blooming small house though :D

It's only 5m by 6m I don't know what the size of an average room in a house is but it's like what 2 rooms at best in a small detached home. It is tall though and obviously the loft space is great for storage or if you have kids a den or for when you have unexpected guests you don't like much who want to stay overnight.

Soldato
If that price doesn't include VAT and a it includes a certificate then it's very reasonable.

This. Although I would recommend that the OP consider whether they need any further provision for anything possibly later on, if there is any possibility of wanting anything like a Hot tub, AC unit or anything like that then consider whether asking for a bit bigger board would be better and depending on whats anticpated going up a size on the SWA, it'lll probably not add that much to the cost

Soldato
It's only 5m by 6m I don't know what the size of an average room in a house is but it's like what 2 rooms at best in a small detached home

Average houses are much smaller than you think, the average living room is like 17 Square meters in the UK, 5 x 6m is 30 Square meters, its big. Since 2010 the average new build house is 67 square meters of usable space, this cabin is huge in comparison.

Caporegime
Average houses are much smaller than you think, the average living room is like 17 Square meters in the UK, 5 x 6m is 30 Square meters, its big. Since 2010 the average new build house is 67 square meters of usable space, this cabin is huge in comparison.

Forget new builds since 2010 that's very specific criteria.

As you say average living room is 17 sq m and I said it was 2 rooms at best.

2 times 17 is 34.

So yeah smaller than the size of 2 average rooms.

Not huge imo.

I could post you some huge ones if you want. But I wouldn't call 2 rooms huge.

Back
Top Bottom