Golf Thread

Soldato
What type of jackets/outer wear do you guys wear in winter? I only really have one jacket and it feels quite bulky and almost restricts my swing, I don’t like to play in it.

I need something warm/wind proof/showerproof and yet isn’t restrictive! Does such thing exist?
I wear a baselayer, tshirt and gilet in the winter, I cant have jackets as they feel too restrictive plus if the weather is that bad, Im not going out.

Soldato
OP
I wear a baselayer, tshirt and gilet in the winter, I cant have jackets as they feel too restrictive plus if the weather is that bad, Im not going out.

Yeh I've tried this and I'm absolutely bloody freezing :p!

I don't mind playing when it's cold/frosty! I'll also play in rain (not storm) and wind! I'll generally avoid if it's wind AND rain!

Soldato
I like the Galvin Green gear for waterproofs, but the less restrictive the item of clothing, the less warm/waterproof it's going to be!

Oooo very posh i couldn't justify the cost but they do look nice.
With you here, if it gets really cold i'll put a a jumper under my gilet. I do have a ping Anderson rain jacket but i just don't feel comfortable wearing it. I'll just get rather wet and when i get back to the clubhouse put something warm on. Bad weather is good in the sense the course is normally pretty clear.

Soldato
I do have Galvin Green gear but not a fan of it, like you I dont mind getting a little wet as long as my clubs are dry and can swing at normal speeds, wet weather gloves are a godsend to be honest, with normal gloves and a bit of rain I start wildly slicing everything as I cant hold onto the clubs but these days its business as usual.

Underboss
I normally have a baselayer, shirt and frostguard jacket for cold mornings, recently bought a full zip Adidas golf jacket from County Golf which was on sale, will do the job nicely. If it's very cold I'll put a jumper under the frost guard.

Have a waterproof jacket for if it's raining heavily but rare I play in torential weather unless I'm already out in it.

Soldato
Winter is usually a base layer with polo shirt. Then have a Galvin Green short sleeved windstopper (found it in a non-golf shop random sale for £50!) for when it's not raining and a Galvin Green Goretex waterproof jacket (given to me by a mate after he bought it and it didn't fit and he took too long to return it. Yes, he does have more money than sense! :D ) if it rains.

Associate
Galvin Green pricing is mental but some of it does look nice. Just got a couple of new base layers myself, but need a new winter top or body warmer.

I also need a new driver, 3 wood and putter. A new swing would be helpful.

Soldato
Long sleeve Base layer, golf top normally all I bother with. Hate jumpers/jackets playing golf.

Under Armour is good value for money - comfy, decent stuff.

Soldato
Solid 83 today for me - two lost balls. Again hit the ball very decent - course in very good nick/weather was good.

Card ruined by a silly run of bogie/doube/triple at 11/12/13.

Followed at par 3 14th by a thinned 7 iron (i mean horrible thin) to 10 foot, holed the put for birdie 2! - No pictures on a scorecard i guess....

New Titleist Drivers getting some fantastic reviews....

Soldato
Second time on the range this week, hit a lot more straighter and further than earlier in the week. I have convinced myself that my irons aren’t right but that might just be an easy thing for me to blame :D

Do you guys recommend going somewhere like American Golf and doing their “New starter fit” and see what data I get out of it.?

I am currently using Mizuno MX17 that are a good few years old if not about 10+ and spent most of their life in the garage. My dad has some Ping g15 irons with golf pride grips which felt more comfortable just in the hand without even trying them on the range yet so maybe i should try that first.

Soldato
Second time on the range this week, hit a lot more straighter and further than earlier in the week. I have convinced myself that my irons aren’t right but that might just be an easy thing for me to blame :D

Do you guys recommend going somewhere like American Golf and doing their “New starter fit” and see what data I get out of it.?

I am currently using Mizuno MX17 that are a good few years old if not about 10+ and spent most of their life in the garage. My dad has some Ping g15 irons with golf pride grips which felt more comfortable just in the hand without even trying them on the range yet so maybe i should try that first.

a lesson with a pro with a track man or gc2 might be a good investment. I had one recently, was struggling with snap hooks etc, was a combination of too much in to out swing with a closing club face. Now I know what I was doing I can focus on changing my swing. I too was thinking it was the clubs,grips. I’d definitely recommend it

Associate

Whereabouts are you based? Most pro shops will do a fitting and I suspect would be ten times better than American Golf.

Place near me does a fit at £50 an hour - so could get your irons done.

I went and the biggest difference I could feel was getting some new grips and tape! Huge difference- went from standard to MCC Plus 4 with 3 strips of tape. I actually have something to hold on to now!

Soldato
a lesson with a pro with a track man or gc2 might be a good investment. I had one recently, was struggling with snap hooks etc, was a combination of too much in to out swing with a closing club face. Now I know what I was doing I can focus on changing my swing. I too was thinking it was the clubs,grips. I’d definitely recommend it
Yeah that is probably a good idea, will investigate and see what options I have locally. I am going to go to a driving range tomorrow which has the TOPTRACER tech so that might help a little to see where the ball is going!

Whereabouts are you based? Most pro shops will do a fitting and I suspect would be ten times better than American Golf.

Place near me does a fit at £50 an hour - so could get your irons done.

I went and the biggest difference I could feel was getting some new grips and tape! Huge difference- went from standard to MCC Plus 4 with 3 strips of tape. I actually have something to hold on to now!
I am in Kent, out near Sidcup. I did think that perhaps American Golf isnt the best option.

I think the grips could be a key part, the ones on my clubs are so thin and 'small' whereas the golf pride on my dads clubs feel a lot easier to grip.

Back
Top Bottom