• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
I have not jumped on anyones bandwagon or stated that this WILL happen. There are already a couple of games pushing 10GB (Flight Sim as an example) though, and quite a few that are pushing 8GB. With new consoles coming out and next gen consoles coming there will be engine changes and graphical improvements which generally lead to more memory, both system and video being used.

I still don't understand why the 3080 has less VRAM than the 1080Ti from 2017 too, it's perplexing to me that they would go down, even if it's only a small amount. I am waiting to see what else comes out to try and alleviate any problems that potential memory limitations may cause. I may end up being wrong and that's totally fine, I am not calling people who buy one an idiot or anything I am just going on what I expect will happen.
Often when a game says it's using 10gb of vram often that just how much it's allocated itself so its very hard to find the actual usage.

Soldato
Often when a game says it's using 10gb of vram often that just how much it's allocated itself so its very hard to find the actual usage.

Yeah like I say this isn't me stating fact, this is just me justifying why I am reluctant. Plus waiting for AMD's cards isn't really going to cause any problems anyway so I am happy to wait a few more weeks to see what is what.

Soldato
More is more. Less vram, more performance.

And it's more like 8 FPS (stock v stock) comparing a STRIX to an FE in a title where every GPU has very low FPS numbers.

8 FPS, damn, that card is clearly leagues ahead with it's mighty 10GB V
I have not jumped on anyones bandwagon or stated that this WILL happen. There are already a couple of games pushing 10GB (Flight Sim as an example) though, and quite a few that are pushing 8GB. With new consoles coming out and next gen consoles coming there will be engine changes and graphical improvements which generally lead to more memory, both system and video being used.

I still don't understand why the 3080 has less VRAM than the 1080Ti from 2017 too, it's perplexing to me that they would go down, even if it's only a small amount. I am waiting to see what else comes out to try and alleviate any problems that potential memory limitations may cause. I may end up being wrong and that's totally fine, I am not calling people who buy one an idiot or anything I am just going on what I expect will happen.

Two things worth considering IMO:

1. This thread is filled with current or future 3080 10GB owners, who want to defend their purchase, and believe the card will age as well as the 1080ti etc. Completely in denial and not worth getting into debates/arguments with them.
2. This will only be a short term consideration, as I fully expect Nvidia to withdraw the current 8nm 10GB 3080, in favour of the upcoming 7nm 20GB 3080 (will probably be renamed 3080 super, or 3080ti, who knows).
3. The 7nm 3080 20GB will be more expensive. I think Nvidia see that at £650 too many people can afford it and the demand is too great, gets them worse PR when no cards available vs when it's more expensive but ample stock. I doubt we'll see such a price point for the flagship going forward. Perhaps in 2 years, when we're deeper into the current depression, the free helicopter money has stopped and more are unemployed, relying on savings etc, this will be different, we'll see.

Soldato

The latest beta version of Afterburner will display how much is actually being used. I can tell you that it's less than 10GB in every game I've tested with my 3080.

However, there's no use listening to me with my actual shared experience because I'm simply justifying my purchase.

Soldato

1. This thread is filled with current or future 3080 10GB owners, who want to defend their purchase, and believe the card will age as well as the 1080ti etc. Completely in denial and not worth getting into debates/arguments with them.
2. This will only be a short term consideration, as I fully expect Nvidia to withdraw the current 8nm 10GB 3080, in favour of the upcoming 7nm 20GB 3080 (will probably be renamed 3080 super, or 3080ti, who knows).
3. The 7nm 3080 20GB will be more expensive. I think Nvidia see that at £650 too many people can afford it and the demand is too great, gets them worse PR when no cards available vs when it's more expensive but ample stock. I doubt we'll see such a price point for the flagship going forward. Perhaps in 2 years, when we're deeper into the current depression, the free helicopter money has stopped and more are unemployed, relying on savings etc, this will be different, we'll see.

Yeah overall I do feel like I am being pushed to justify my arguments wheras some are just telling me it'll be fine with no more information. Either way though honestly I hope everyone is happy with their purchase if they bought one.

Associate
1. This thread is filled with current or future 3080 10GB owners, who want to defend their purchase, and believe the card will age as well as the 1080ti etc.
This thread is filled with people who don't have a 3080 and have no chance of getting one any time soon and believe missing out was some big brain strat.

Permabanned
Lol I have read the whole thread, now I feel safe buying a 3080 10gb, although i was already quite safe as I'm buying it for 1440p but yea im hoping to rock this bad boy for atleast 5 years!

5 years? Nvidia gpu's are not a good long term choice, Kepler & Maxwell are good examples of why they aren't, even the 1080ti is already starting to fall behind it's performance replacement the RTX 2080. I praise Zotac for having a 5 year warranty on their cards but I'd never plan on keeping one for that long, my jump ship time would be when it's no longer the last gen series so today I would have been selling my GTX 1080 Pascal card if I still had it.

Soldato
I still don't understand why the 3080 has less VRAM than the 1080Ti from 2017 too, it's perplexing to me that they would go down, even if it's only a small amount. .

Your comparing the 3080 to the top end card when you should be comparing it to the 2080 8gb and 1080 8gb.

The 3080 comes with 2GB more vram than last gens 2080 and is about £200 cheaper and much much faster.

Soldato
Your comparing the 3080 to the top end card when you should be comparing it to the 2080 8gb and 1080 8gb.

The 3080 comes with 2GB more vram than last gens 2080 and is about £200 cheaper and much much faster.

Nvidia themselves have said it's the flagship which is stupid but that's how it is. It's not £200 cheaper than the 2080 and you are neglecting how huge the price increase of the 2080 is compared to the 1080.

It's silly to think that something is good value because it's cheaper than the massively inflated card that preceded it.

Associate
The latest beta version of Afterburner will display how much is actually being used. I can tell you that it's less than 10GB in every game I've tested with my 3080.

However, there's no use listening to me with my actual shared experience because I'm simply justifying my purchase.

Shockingly less in RDR2... And in any event, the memory is hardly bandwidth starved.

Soldato
Nvidia themselves have said it's the flagship which is stupid but that's how it is. It's not £200 cheaper than the 2080 and you are neglecting how huge the price increase of the 2080 is compared to the 1080.

It's silly to think that something is good value because it's cheaper than the massively inflated card that preceded it.

Just pointing out that vram has actually gone up Vs the 2080s,2080,1080.

Yeah also I do think it's great value, it runs all my games 4k ultra 60fps and it has hdmi 2.1 and much better ray tracing.

Not sure why it's silly to think it's good value.

Soldato
Earlier in the thread I said Nvidia shot themselves in the foot due to calling the 3080 the Flagship as it is being compared to the 2080ti. Had they just been truthful and said the 3090 is the real flagship 10gb vram would not be so bad as its predecessor is the 2080. So really you are getting more vram. Still if AMD bring in a card with 12 to 16gb vram and match the 3080 it's still a poor amount.

I think most 3080 owners know it's a poor amount of Vram but if it lasts until they upgrade most likely next year it's no problem. If you plan on keeping the card a few gens it might run into a few issues where settings need turned down.

Associate

In game dev tools that track memory will sometimes show the more accurate value of what is being used rather than what is reserved/allocated. FS2020 does have this and it does confirm that the game is using about 9.5GB maxed out where other tools report something more like 12.5Gb, but the rub is that nothing running maxed out is playable, so again the GPUs here have maxed out on their ability to put out a playable frame rate before the 10Gb limit was reached.

There's also another tool called Special K which is kinda more like a game modding tool, that apparantly reports real usage as well and it comports with FS2020s internal measurements of usage, so we can be sure it's reasonably accurate. Using these tools on modern games shows that they use shockingly way less than 8Gb for almost all games, most modern games aren't even using 6Gb, I think there's like half a dozen modern games going over 6Gb of real usage. When games like FS2020 load in all the assets they do it absolutely hammers the GPU down to sub 30fps where it's unplayable and that's a good marker that 10Gb is going to be enough, not just for current gen games but those of the future which is where most of the worry lays with people, that 10Gb is enough now, it just won't be later on. It's fairly safe to say that's wrong.

Interesting I wonder how its doing that, apparently that's hard or impossible without kinda hooking game engine files, Im not sure you can inspect the memory usage externally. I can't find any release notes or anything like that which covers this feature, how did you find out about this?

Permabanned
The thing about pc is that you will have some radio buttons to put that 10gb to shame.. it all depends on Nvidia's outreach. They'd try their level best to ensure such radio buttons are not available, so overall I feel there's nothing to worry there.. but no guarantee the modding scene will follow Nvidia's playbook (there's a 24 gb prosumer card on the prowl)

I can't disagree that there will be options to push beyond, but having to zoom in 10x on a screen shot (as others have said) to tell the difference is just crazy if not epeen. If I thought Ampere had the RT performance to last the years that the 1080Ti has lasted then I would be buying a 3090. Instead I have a 3080 on order, which I plan to replace with Hopper on release as that again will be a huge jump in RT performance.

It's Ampere's (GPU) RT performance more than the standard 10GB of VRAM that will kill it off. I don't know if you remember hardware T&L and how quickly that exploded. RT is at Geforce 2 levels.

Soldato
Interesting I wonder how its doing that, apparently that's hard or impossible without kinda hooking game engine files, Im not sure you can inspect the memory usage externally. I can't find any release notes or anything like that which covers this feature, how did you find out about this?

Memory allocation the left, actual usage on the right.

Associate

Apparently the original MSRP was a lie to lure people imo, the AIB's were given $50 rebates that expired in October in order to temporarily bring them into line, so the real MSRP was actually $750, what we're currently seeing now (excluding UK e-tailers which are price gouging).

I suspect the 3080 20GB MSRP will largely depend upon what AMD does, if they deliver, $999, otherwise closer to 2080Ti MSRP ~$1199.

I find it difficult to justify $250+ for the extra 10GB, which instead I could put away for the 4080 or Ryzen 5k upgrade (which would arguably give me more performance).

Associate
I can't disagree that there will be options to push beyond, but having to zoom in 10x on a screen shot (as others have said) to tell the difference is just crazy if not epeen. If I thought Ampere had the RT performance to last the years that the 1080Ti has lasted then I would be buying a 3090. Instead I have a 3080 on order, which I plan to replace with Hopper on release as that again will be a huge jump in RT performance.

It's Ampere's (GPU) RT performance more than the standard 10GB of VRAM that will kill it off. I don't know if you remember hardware T&L and how quickly that exploded. RT is at Geforce 2 levels.

Yes that's what I'd have done as well, don't know abt t&l but I am not too hung up on rt.. the problem scales exponentially, there is this slight chance that rt will be discarded as a failed experiment in real time graphics.. i won't be using rt on 3080 if I had one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom