WestMids - Stop and Search + survey

Associate
It's pretty simple, the fella was in close vicinity to a crime and he matched the description of the offender, so a search was undertaken, police doing their job, not a lot else to say really.
Often the 'matched description' is a load of old toot though.

"Youth, dark skin, medium build" = lets bother minorities all afternoon. It's one way to do policing.

Soldato
I too as a white male would have cooperated with the officer, i've never been searched on foot either, but i do remember when i was 17 and had a car and was parked up in a car park with a load of mates the police decided to do a search of the cars (UV light, i guess checking for traces of drugs). I had no problem with it, albeit was bricking it a bit as i'd only just bought the car, and you don't know what previous occupants may have done in the car.

I was in a band with a guy that happened to. He had recently bought a used car and was waiting in it outside his girlfriend's place for her to get home. A neighbour thought he looked suspicious (I think there might have been a bunch of burglaries in the area) and called the police who stopped by for a chat and decided to have have a look around the car. Unfortunately the previous owner had left something naughty under the front seat, so it was off to the police station for some questions and a full cavity search.

Soldato
They didnt let me drive 50 yards to see, it was lights on as soon as I pulled out of the car park entrance/exit.They had no rightful suspicion or evidence of wrong doing. It was a stop by proximity (to a pub). They couldn't prove i had even been in the pub, merely that my car had been parked in the car park.

The police don't need suspicion or evidence of wrongdoing to stop a vehicle on a public carriageway.

Soldato
What type of feedback are the expecting from sharing this video? As intentions are currently being interpreted, and not favourably.

I'd also like to know what was in the kinder egg...

Yes! Considering every cop show I've seen when they do a drugs raid on a house they always find the kinder eggs stuffed with drugs. Seems a bit suspect to be on an adult.

Come on? What do people in pubs do? Did you get pulled because you are white (wild guess at you being white I know) and white people are statisticaly more likely to drink drive? Or was it just becuase of the whole pub and driving connection.

I mean Im not really sure what you think you are arguing about. He most definatly got pulled because he was black. I think what his complaint was is how does he know that they arent just pulling him because he is black which they were actually doing anyway. His complaint was that he thought it might be BS. Did they find anything on him? Was he connected to any crime apart from being black?

As far as he was concerned, as he hadnt commited any crime was that he got stopped and searched because he was black. You got pulled over because you might have been drunk, he got pulled because he was black. Can you see the difference as to why you might not be as unhappy as him about it.

What I love about the diversity of this forum is you have ebay threads and a massive TV licences thread where Ill assume mostly white men talk all big about being rude to people and going round houses and threatening people, yet get upset about someone not being happy about being stopped and searched.

But then you really do have a massive fixation on non white crime so its to be expected from you. I wouldnt be surprised if you drive around saying hes a criminal, hes a criminal all day long.

You realise you are racist don’t you?

So the police aren’t allowed to stop and search based on descriptions which include skin colour..... oh dear what a ridiculous thing to say

Permabanned

"Youth, dark skin, medium build" = lets bother minorities all afternoon. It's one way to do policing.

Then the person who called them up and described it got it wrong. Not all police want to go out bullying people the majority want to help.

I'd also like to know what was in the kinder egg...
Chocolate ofc. :)

Caporegime

Er no.

This case has nothing to do with racism. That much is obvious to anyone looking objectively at the facts as presented.

Now if you were to dispute those facts, dig into the records amd present tome that there infact was no robbery, victim, description on said night then I would agree it looks a bit dodgy.

Otherwise you're just wrong.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Did she miss his hood?
Guy walking down the street gets pulled for being dark skinned. Not the same thing is it really?
I mean we do accept that the guy got the stop and search because of his skin colour?

No, S+S because he matched the description the PC had, admittedly rather vague but she could've stopped me typically I wear a black jacket and have a beard *shrug*

Howd you feel if it was one of your family members that was robbed and later found out...
"we think we saw him on the street but didn't think to stop him in case we hurt his feelings?"

I don't hold stop and search against anyone, if it has reasonable cause.

Wonder what was in the kinder egg

Associate
Wonder what was in the kinder egg

I wonder where it's been :D

Been stopped myself before, once matching the description given of someone who'd run out of a shop after a theft.... Other was a "Drug Hotspot" , both times just let them get on with it, nothing to hide so why not.

The more fuss someone kicks up , I think the more likely it looks like you are trying to hide something / put the officer off

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Legalise possession of drugs and you would have no where near the same levels of hostility or runners.

Soldato
There could probably be a better conversation from the pc - but on the whole I see nothing wrong with this at all. If a white person with a black jacket and a beard matched the same description I’d say that’s enough grounds to assume it could be the right person.

Man of Honour
OP
What type of feedback are the expecting from sharing this video? As intentions are currently being interpreted, and not favourably.

I'm not expecting any feedback, just sharing what WestMids have put out. I'm just interested in how people perceive the interactions. It shows a lot of misconceptions over how the police operate and what information they have to act on.

If the public give us better descriptions, then we'll have more to work with, but ultimately it's more often than not the public giving us these limited details.

Can't type for toffee
Don

It was pitch black...

When I made my subsequent comment I never mentioned my skin tone, simply black jacket and beard.
Not one person here has questioned it.

See how easy it is to interpret description
As burnsy has said better descriptions may go a long way to help with this.

The guy in the video was clearly being awkward

Soldato
I have never been stopped and searched in 46 years. #WhitePriviledgeFTW

I got stopped regularly when I had a girlfriend in Stockwell and I’m whiter than Casper The Friendly Ghost. Usually when I was taking shortcuts through one of the scummy estates when walking back to hers after a night out in Clapham.

To be fair to the Old Bill, just about every episode of Crime Watch in the 1990s had at least one photo fit picture on their most wanted board that looked like me.

Back
Top Bottom